Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Due to bad planning on my behalf I had to use Voa this time,i always come with a social visa but screwed up this time,

I'm not familiar how the extension works,i arrived on Dec 5th
And the visa is valid for 30 days,which means it runs out around Jan 4th,

Do any of you know how long it takes to extend the Voa,does it take 2-3 visits to immigration like when extending the social visa or is it done in one day,

I'm not sure what days immigration is open or closed because of the holidays,

Apologies for asking a question that has probably been answered here before,

Appreciate any advice

P

paulseawind

Due to bad planning on my behalf I had to use Voa this time,i always come with a social visa but screwed up this time,

I'm not familiar how the extension works,i arrived on Dec 5th
And the visa is valid for 30 days,which means it runs out around Jan 4th,

Do any of you know how long it takes to extend the Voa,does it take 2-3 visits to immigration like when extending the social visa or is it done in one day,

I'm not sure what days immigration is open or closed because of the holidays,

Apologies for asking a question that has probably been answered here before,

Appreciate any advice

Nydave

I do this all the time.
It's easy.

Just go to IMIGRASI at least 5 working days before your VOA runs out.
Make sure to observe your Dress Code.
Long pants. Clean shaven or cleanly trimmed if you have a beard/mo.
Wear shoes, not thongs or sandals. Make yourself look good.

First visit, they will ask you for the details. You need inbound eticket and inbound boarding pass. You also need outbound eticket. You also need a photocopy of the info page in your passport. And a photocopy of the Imigrasi stamp from your passport from when you arrived. Plus your passport which they will take but will issue you a receipt for it.

You go there and they examine that info and ask you to fill in a form. Use a black biro, not blue.

Second visit, which is 2-3 days later, you go to pay and have your photo taken and finger prints recorded. Also, the dress code is important. They might ask you to button your shirt all the way for the photo.

Third visit is a pick up of your passport with the new visa in it. Observe the dress code then as well.

I went to Imigrasi this morning to do mine. It was visit #1 of the 3. They said come back on Wednesday because they are closed 24 and 25 December.
On Wednesday I pay and have the fingerprints and photo taken.

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
The extension time is same as social. About 1 to 2 weeks before expiry. I think Government offices close on the western public holidays, same as the banks. If doing it yourself yes it is usually 3 visits. Photo and fingerprints done.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
NYdave...
Did you arrive on a passport which permitted, and used the free VOA, which is NOT extendable, or did you pay the US$35 VOA.... which does.

Last edited:

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Thanks for all the advice guys,i thought it might be a quicker process than the social,im in Surabaya and here when extending the social it involves only 2 visits,Davita I payed for the visa,i didn't take the free one,Happy Holidays everyone

P

paulseawind

Thanks for all the advice guys,i thought it might be a quicker process than the social,im in Surabaya and here when extending the social it involves only 2 visits,Davita I payed for the visa,i didn't take the free one,Happy Holidays everyone

NY Dave

I have heard bules in the south (of Bali) hire agents to do this for them because the bule can't be bothered to go thru the 'red tape'.

But it's so easy here in the North.

I don't know where you stay here, so it's up to you. Maybe you stay in Srbya.

Tomorrow I go for Step 2 - pay and get mug shot and finger prints taken, plus they ask hardline questions even though they already know the answers.
One of them wanted me to start a business and employ him. Sorry, the fish aren't biting today.

Yes there are holidays at this time of the year. Imigrasi take all the holidays - Muslim, Hindu, Christian. Any excuse for a day off, I reckon.
That's very Australian of them!

davita

Mar 13, 2012

That's good as the paid VOA can be extended once for 30 days.
In future you might try the 60 day tourist visa from the nearest RI Embassy/Consul to where you live. It is relatively easy to get and doesn't require any sponsor...it can last 90 days prior to entering Indonesia and allows 60 days after entering. I also know many people who have extended that visa in Bali as it has the same number as a Sosbud.

P

paulseawind

That's good as the paid VOA can be extended once for 30 days.
In future you might try the 60 day tourist visa from the nearest RI Embassy/Consul to where you live. It is relatively easy to get and doesn't require any sponsor...it can last 90 days prior to entering Indonesia and allows 60 days after entering. I also know many people who have extended that visa in Bali as it has the same number as a Sosbud.

I have used those ex-Darwin. Takes about 4 days (they say 1 week) to get. 60-day visa. I have never extended one of those because I always needed to return to DWN for one reason or another.

Nowadays, things are different, but I still have to be in DWN for a working week to get one. Not sure what I will end up doing.
Old saying: 'If things don't change they will probably stay the same'

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Yes I'm in Surabaya,boring and all as it is,but I have finally found a cafe herereal close to my house that has beer,and that's where I am right now chilling out with my son and having a few Bintangs,its definitely different from when I lived in bali,only ones who speak English are my wife and son,he is about to be 6 yrs old end of the month,not like going down to Jimmys bar in Sanur and striking up conversation with any of the expats thereBut for now it is what it is,

We will move back to Bali next August,

Davita thanks a million for the info on the 60 day tourist visa,i never heard of that before,since 2006 , have always stayed in RI from end of Nov to end of April and have always used the Social visaHowever because of my work back in Ny this year I left it too late to get the Social,see I bought my ticket and forgot about our Thanks Giving Holiday which is always on a Thursday,however the Indo Consulate also took off the Friday which meant I wouldn't have the visa in time for my flight,all my fault for not applying earlierBelieve me it won't happen againThanks again for all the advice,and I hope you are feeling much better,