An unusual experience even for Bali

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
The other morning while preparing for my daily beach hike made a visit to the bathroom, and after flushing suddenly before me appeared a water lizard or biawak. On all my previous encounters with these amphibians out of doors they would invariably make a hasty retreat with the appearance of my presence.
This time was different, as the lizard just sat there perched above the surface flicking his tongue while his feet were firmly implanted on the surrounding ceramic.
Not being in the habit of drinking that early in the day knew this wasn't an illusion and decided to rid myself of his presence, and promptly attempted another flush.Nothing happened! His girth filled the hole completely.
Since he wasn't fleeing I decided I would, but my mission was not totally out of fear but to retrieve my trusty can of HIT from a nearby shelf. Returning to the scene I noticed it hadn't budged and let loose with a long blast from the HIT can while immediately closing both toilet seat and cover with my foot and escaping the cloud in the small enclosure. Still wary I returned with a large heavy wooden doorstop to prevent this monster from escaping should he live and decide to retaliate.
Now in reflection realize that there may be retorts from creature lovers that think me horrible for not being more sharing, or gender defenders demanding a certification of the of the word "he".
Sorry friends. Just have no regrets

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Jeez Mugwump...please give us a warning next time you go for a crap....pleeeze!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
OK! my previous was joking but how did it get there.....do they crawl back up the sewer line? My house has a septic tank so I doubt that can happen...at least I hope so.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Yet another reason, apart from flies, wasps, spiders, snakes and ants, why I do not favor the outdoor shitter concept seemingly so popular in Bali.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
OK! my previous was joking but how did it get there.....do they crawl back up the sewer line? My house has a septic tank so I doubt that can happen...at least I hope so.
It had to be from the septic tank, but after examining it can only find a narrow vent pipe which wouldn't admit a creature of this size.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
It had to be from the septic tank, but after examining it can only find a narrow vent pipe which wouldn't admit a creature of this size.

It's possible it was already there and you just didn't notice when you sat down....that would be scary. I can imagine sitting down with my scrotum dangling and this carnivore looking up, licking its lips and seeing lunch......meat balls, yummy!
Now I can see why Asians like to squat using their feet as support on the edge of the bowl of a western-style shitter. They have more experience of this tropical lizard than Westerners do...:D

Seriously though...septic tanks usually have a fairly large inspection hatch or pipe for suction emptying...it could be dislodged.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
It's possible it was already there and you just didn't notice when you sat down....that would be scary. I can imagine sitting down with my scrotum dangling and this carnivore looking up, licking its lips and seeing lunch......meat balls, yummy!
Now I can see why Asians like to squat using their feet as support on the edge of the bowl of a western-style shitter. They have more experience of this tropical lizard than Westerners do...:D

Seriously though...septic tanks usually have a fairly large inspection hatch or pipe for suction emptying...it could be dislodged.
Well that could be a solution, as my reason for posting was to learn if anyone else had had similar experiences.

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Not exactly on point, but I read recently that rats have spines that an bend both ways, hence it is easy for them to come up a sewer line and through the business end of a toilet.

- Bill

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Not exactly on point, but I read recently that rats have spines that an bend both ways, hence it is easy for them to come up a sewer line and through the business end of a toilet.

- Bill
That is close Bill. This guy is definitely a water lizard, and I today found his access.
A couple years ago had a new septic tank installed and it was connected to the previous one which was not blocked. As a result a rather a somewhat larger vent was left unplugged and believe it provided the access.
The rascal is still there and must have an iron constitution (no explanation), but if anyone has a thoughtful solution it would be welcome.