Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
A bud just went to Penang to get his new social and sorted it via Bali IDE in DPS and there used to be agents in KL but haven't looked in yonks as that always took 2 days and therefore wasn't of interest.

Zep66

Feb 27, 2014
Just got back from Kota Kinabalu (KK) for a visa run.
Did not apply for a social visa, but a 60 day tourist visa this time as it suits my travel plans.

Could not have been easier.
Arrived at 10am in the embassy and out at 10:30am, went straight to the counter, given a A4 form to fill, handed it back with two photos and copy of exit ticket, given a laminated slip to present to the bank (Maybank) next door to pay directly into the embassies account, returned with the receipt. Handed back the receipt of payment and was given a slip to pick up my passports the next day in the morning.
Retuned 10am next day, straight to the counter, handed over the return slip and given back my passports.

Could not have been easier, and staff were friendly and did not ask any questions.

Recommend KK. Also lots to do to fill the day such as Island hoping ect...

Zep66

Feb 27, 2014
What's the advantage of a 60 day visa?

VOA is also 2 x 30 = 60 and you don't have to do anything but just arrive here.

For your extension:
If you DIY, you need to go to Denpasar 3 times, plus photos and finger prints. Your last trip must be on the day they nominate or you have to start again. If your like me, I need to hire a car to get the family there and pull my daughter out of school that day. Total time it takes in Denpasar is more than an embassy and the cost is a bit more (not including all the and transport)
If you use an agent, will cost you less time but more cash and you still need to go to Denpasar for the photo and finger prints on the day you are told, usually two days notice.

The 60 day visa (if it's an embassy that won't give you grief) is a better option for me, less time and don't need the family need not come with me. Cost wise, it's about $60 AUD all up.

VOD = $35 USD
Extension = 350000 IDR
Agent = 300000 to 600000 IDR
Driver and car (if you need one) 250000-300000
3 visits to Denpasar = priceless!!!

Zep66

Feb 27, 2014
Yep, as of November last year you need to front up in Denpasar and get your photos digitally taken and prints. Before, you would just get the agent to do the lot, give them your passports and money, four or five days later pick them up from your agent.

Same with the Sos bud, your first extension you need to do the same. (3 visits, last to get your photos and finger prints done).

When I say 3 visits, first to pickup paperwork, they allocate you a file and give you a folder.
Next visit you return paperwork in the folder they gave you which included papers signed by your sponsor. BTW if you don't do the paperwork in black ink, they reject it.
Last visit is photos, finger prints and you sign a digital pad, they hand back your passports.

The whole process is a pain, especially if your not close to Denpasar.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
It's been that case for more than a year, I remember a Dutch man complaining that he had photos taken last time so why should he have to pay again for more photos. Every time you want to extend a VOA you have to pay Rp55,000 for photos and finger prints.

Gago

Jul 16, 2014
Hi everyone,
I would like to get your help to clarify 1 point for doing the Social Visa in KL.

On the website of the Indonesian Embassy in KL there is no mention of the necessity to provide any airline ticket to prove that I will exit KL, enter ID and exit ID after 6 months.

But in this Idiot's guide is is said that we have to provide :
- ENTER TICKET
- EXIT TICKET

So in definitive do we have to provide airline ticket ? If Yes ENTER and EXIT tickets for what country, Malaysia or Indonesia ?

In Singapore they never asked me for a return ticket from ID I only had entrance ticket to ID. It is hard to now where I will go after 6 monts !

What do you think ?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re: Post #108 by Gago

General Requirements

The above link shows the general requirements for visas. Click on visas and find the specifics for Social visas. The application form can be downloaded from this area.
Indonesia doesn't concern itself with Immigration Malaysia...you will help yourself by having copies of your tickets IN & OUT of Indonesia as they want to see that you don't intend to stay there....if you don't have a ticket you could be prevented from getting the visa.

Most people show a ticket OUT of RI which can be cancelled or date changed.
It is possible to tell the officers at Immigration that you haven't bought the ticket yet but have sufficient funds...i.e. a current Credit/Debit card and a recent copy of bank funds...but success is at their discretion.

BestofBali

Nov 9, 2016
Kerobokan
Hi everyone,
I would like to get your help to clarify 1 point for doing the Social Visa in KL.

On the website of the Indonesian Embassy in KL there is no mention of the necessity to provide any airline ticket to prove that I will exit KL, enter ID and exit ID after 6 months.

But in this Idiot's guide is is said that we have to provide :
- ENTER TICKET
- EXIT TICKET

So in definitive do we have to provide airline ticket ? If Yes ENTER and EXIT tickets for what country, Malaysia or Indonesia ?

In Singapore they never asked me for a return ticket from ID I only had entrance ticket to ID. It is hard to now where I will go after 6 monts !

What do you think ?

That was posted 3 years ago though :icon_wink:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ur on drugs or need a breathalyzer for your PC.

Gago's post was recent. Course the main post was a while back but these threads are a great way of keeping all that stuff that stays the same up to date and listing any changes that have happened in the mean time.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think the law is that you need a ticket out of the country. That could be Malaysia, Singapore etc. The embassy might ask for it and from memory the paper they give you as a receipt mentions that you need to show an onward ticket which you are supposed to show when you pick up your visa. I was never asked for it when I did it (quite a few years ago now).

The first few times I did the social visa, i booked a Medan->Penang ticket out of the country, which is probably the cheapest flight out of Indonesia. No one ever asked so I stopped even doing that and made a print out of what looked like a booked ticket in case anyone ever asked. They never did.

Gago

Jul 16, 2014
BestofBali
My post is from yesterday 28 Nov 2016 :)

spicyayam
You are right the rules say that we should always have a flight out of Indonesia this is what the imigrasi website says. But in reality for Social Visa maybe they never ask it or at least it depends on the place where we go. I always went to SG, already quite a few times and they never asked for my ticket showing I will get out of Indonesia, they never asked in the embassy in SG and neither did they at the imigrasi counter when I entered using my social or business visas !

So my question is really does the embassy in KL actually ask for it or not ?

Of course I could just use one of my previous flight confirmation and change the date and keep as a backup if they asked. Or I can buy a real ticket but need to plan 6 months in advance to know where I will go !

davita

Mar 13, 2012
So my question is really does the embassy in KL actually ask for it or not ?

Of course I could just use one of my previous flight confirmation and change the date and keep as a backup if they asked. Or I can buy a real ticket but need to plan 6 months in advance to know where I will go !

There is no definitive answer to your question...and certainly no member of a forum CAN answer...they can only advise from personal experience.
If you read my previous the KL RI Embassy doesn't even specify that requirement...but the application form does suggest it may be helpful if a ticket to exit Indonesia was itemized as it will assist the application.
I've been asked for tickets on occasions and not on others....but I always had one just in case. It seems to depend on the attitude of the interviewing officer and I wasn't going to be unprepared...especially after having the expense of getting to the Embassy/Consul.

Personally I would be hesitant to try any tricks...if they establish you can fib one thing for sure they're going to pay more attention to other details of your application. I did see, on this forum, someone describe a company that provides tickets which are not really usable and, when cancelled, are refunded less a fee.

Many just buy an airline ticket which can be cancelled or later modified by date.

Gago

Jul 16, 2014
There is no definitive answer to your question...and certainly no member of a forum CAN answer...they can only advise from personal experience.
If you read my previous the KL RI Embassy doesn't even specify that requirement...but the application form does suggest it may be helpful if a ticket to exit Indonesia was itemized as it will assist the application.
I've been asked for tickets on occasions and not on others....but I always had one just in case. It seems to depend on the attitude of the interviewing officer and I wasn't going to be unprepared...especially after having the expense of getting to the Embassy/Consul.

Personally I would be hesitant to try any tricks...if they establish you can fib one thing for sure they're going to pay more attention to other details of your application. I did see, on this forum, someone describe a company that provides tickets which are not really usable and, when cancelled, are refunded less a fee.

Many just buy an airline ticket which can be cancelled or later modified by date.

Thanks. Yes better be prepared I will try to simply plan in advance my next trip for visa, not sure yet where I will go :) Anyway the cost of a 1 way flight is quite cheap even if lost, better not take any risk with my visa application being refused.

Thanks for the advices from everyone in the forum

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Might I humbly suggest what I view as a far, far superior document and much better advise for getting that much needed Social visa with the least pain and expense.

As an added benefit no one I've heard about has ever been asked for a return ticket using this service. Possibly because you never actually come into contact with any imigrasi agents.

https://balipod.com/forum/threads/an-idiot’s-guide-to-the-one-day-visa-run-to-singapore.4037/

Dont want to give you a big head or anything.
I sent this link a few weeks ago to a mate from Sydney who has a villa lease which he normally rents out but is now going to move to Bali for a year or so , he has bought into a business (making ricotta cheese to start).
He loved this article as his wife will need to do the run , he will be traveling back to Oz once a month anyway for his business here.
So you do come in useful at times Markit

Last edited by a moderator:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I remember seeing something about some guy being detained because he admitted he was doing a visa run. I don't remember the details but maybe a good idea to have another story for the quick visit.

Didn't see elsewhere so maybe a good reminder of the opportunity to buy a duty-free bottle of hooch on return to Indonesia.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Don't tell anyone but another attraction is in the Singapore main duty free shop where they have a FREE scotch tasters bar with a lovely, young oriental beauty who will give you endless tots of their 40 different bottles of really good scotch until you fall down. Just ask them.

Reactions: OrangeDragon