Alternative motorbike parking at Ngurah Rai?

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
I just heard the airport initiated new parking fees in 2015. After 12 hours of parking, it's something ridiculous like 1,000 rupiah per hour. I'm going to Sumba for over a week so I'd rather not rack up the bills for something silly like parking.

My question to you, is if there is any alternative to parking a motorbike at the airport that I'm not aware of? Worst case scenario, a Grab car from Sanur is only 60K but I figured this was topic people would be interested in any way.

Thanks, people of this form.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
The price you've stated is correct. The first 12 hours is Rp.2000 and it's Rp.1000 per hour after that. That's only Rp24.000 per day though, still not crazy prices. Don't forget, you have to pay your fare to and from the airport if you use a taxi, so you have to compare it to that.

There's no alternative that I know of, they like their monopolies at the airport, I'd doubt they'd allow any competing parking lots to open up nearby.

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
The price you've stated is correct. The first 12 hours is Rp.2000 and it's Rp.1000 per hour after that. That's only Rp24.000 per day though, still not crazy prices. Don't forget, you have to pay your fare to and from the airport if you use a taxi, so you have to compare it to that.

There's no alternative that I know of, they like their monopolies at the airport, I'd doubt they'd allow any competing parking lots to open up nearby.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I guess in the grand scheme of things 24.000 a day isn't that bad. I'll just have to suck it up. It's much more convenient than taking an ojek or something of the sort

Reactions: DenpasarHouse

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Drive your bike to Sumba - great ride! You can eat for 24k/day
I ended up just parking at the airport and flying but I think someday I'll attempt a motorbike trek to Sumba. That would be a beautiful (albeit long) ride.Also, you were totally right about the cheap food! Amazing over there. I highly recommend everyone here checks out Sumba at least once. It's a different world over there.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Going end of August to either Sumba or Flores. Any insider tips? Did Sumbawa last year and the ride to the main port Sape was done in a week without pushing it too much. Great roads and lovely people.

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Going end of August to either Sumba or Flores. Any insider tips? Did Sumbawa last year and the ride to the main port Sape was done in a week without pushing it too much. Great roads and lovely people.

Well, I've never been to Flores so can't help you there. Sumba is quite the experience though. I have an expat friend who lives in Southwest Sumba in a village called Rua. Absolutely beautiful location and you will have the entire stretch of secluded beach to yourself (save a few local fisherman). It's right near the humorously exclusive Nihiwatu Resort. Currently, my friend is constructing a budget "resort" right on Rua beach. I stayed there while it was still undergoing construction and it may be done by August he says.

He also owns a good deal of land all over Sumba so if you are looking for some kind of business opportunity on the island, I can put you in touch with him. Anyway, as far as tips go, all I can say is don't go hiking through the jungle by yourself unless you know where you are going. Shit gets pretty crazy in there. I know, it's common sense but then again, I'm an idiot.

Thankfully I ran into some crafty little school girls who helped guide me to safety even though they were absolutely terrified of the bearded bule who crawled out of the jungle.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yeah I saw the "resort" listed as, I think, best in the world??? OK, if they say so.

Not looking for any business stuff just good places to go, things to see and good stuff to eat.

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Yeah I saw the "resort" listed as, I think, best in the world??? OK, if they say so.

Not looking for any business stuff just good places to go, things to see and good stuff to eat.

Yes, it's officially listed as the "best in the world." Some American billionaire first built it for his private getaway then opened it up to the "public." To get an idea of their exclusivity, I hear they only allow 10 surfers on their famous wave at a time. To even get a spot, you have to pay a premium fee. Not my idea of a good place to stay but to each their own.

I wish I had more info for you. I was in Rua for 5 days and had no motorbike so my experience was completely limited to hiking around that area, lounging around the beach and attempting to speak to the villagers in my butchered Bahasa. We mostly cooked for ourselves and bought food from the closest market in Waikabubak. They have a few nasi Padang styled restaurants in that area too, which were all cheap and delicious.
Travelfish.org has a nice, detailed page on Sumba though if you want to check that out.

Reactions: Markit