davita

Mar 13, 2012
Just come across an interesting idea for those whom Bali has not been their dream come true....and might also have interest.
https://liberland.org/en/main/

It is a small country near Serbia/Croatia that has been independantly annexed and now looking to be populated...it offers citizenship.

I haven't read the prospectus fully, as I've just seen it, but invite forum members to opine.

Teabag

May 23, 2013
Yes, its the first 'internet state' off the (digital) world. If you are healty, means virus-free then you can join. All you need is a speedy internet access....

Have fun in your new internet life.

Teabag

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Yes, its the first 'internet state' off the (digital) world. If you are healty, means virus-free then you can join. All you need is a speedy internet access....

Have fun in your new internet life.

Teabag

Speedy...darn it.... I just today cancelled my Speedy internet in favor of fiber-optic CBN.

I guess now I can never be a 'Liberlander' and I kinda liked the idea of walking in Kuta and "ello mista...whey you flom?"...."Liberland"...silence!

Teabag

May 23, 2013
Davita,

take instead of 'Liberland' just 'Switzerland'.

The usual answer is: 'Oh, Sweden, I like very much too...'

Then there is always silence... but on my side....

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Are you all on drugs?

I thought Markit was a smart guy when he admonished everyone, on another thread, because they were not willing to accept technology like UBER. Yet not prepared to even discuss that some guy has declared a NEW country, where any technological App could be created, and become law. A new societal start if you will.

Gurkha may have a point about Markit and intellect (heaven forbid).

I'd expect something stimulating from Markit other than cloning Gurkha's style of commentary, but maybe they are both the same, working under different nics as if they were enemies, and fooling the rest of us...:icon_rolleyes:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It's a silly conversation on a number of different levels.

The freaking "country" is 7 sq kilometers!

The "owner" has been arrested 2 times getting into and out of "his" country.

It's between to 2 places that have practiced population "cleansing" on a large scale in the last 20 years.

If you really want to stimulate some intelligent discourse, be intelligent or at least stimulating... duh!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
@ Markit post # 8

Wow...you learn fast.

Monaco...is a sovereign state of 2.02 sq Kms. It is surrounded by France and the Med...has a population of some 40,000, a GDP of over US$130,000 per capita and an unemployment of less than 2%....Oh! and a Prince called Albert....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco

Just imagine what a King could do with Liberland some 3 times the property size. With a conciliatory but stimulating approach to mending bridges with neighbors and a perceived command of intelligence...a mind blowing opportunity....

Who's ready to make the first deposit into the already created Liberland trust fund?:icon_wink:

btw President Trump is already creating a population cleansing of the USA...if he wins...nothing new.

Last edited:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
I liked reading the forum on there. One guy asked if it is ok if he walked around naked there. . .. and with how open to interpretation the rules/laws will be, there was no definite answer.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I liked reading the forum on there. One guy asked if it is ok if he walked around naked there. . .. and with how open to interpretation the rules/laws will be, there was no definite answer.

WTF....where is there. Give us a clue....who asked who?

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
I read the same thing,seems nobody actually lives there so I guess nobody to make laws or answer the questions,,but hey strange things happen in this world,maybe 20 years from now if any of us are still around we might be thinking ooh yeah we used to poke fun at that place,now look at it,or we could be watching the 2 neighbours at war over it,

On another note,Davita mentioned Monaco,i recently joined a website for people who want to retire and even invest in countries that offer the best qalue for the $,Monaco is not one of them for value,there are some real interesting places on there,to get their point across about the countries they are promoting /pushing they recently published a chart listing countries all over the world and giving the appropriate land prices per square mtr, and they did include Monaco (just for the purpose of making their point),,i can only recall a couple,here they are,,Ireland is $1,360 per mtr,,Monaco $38,000+per mtr,,cant remember the + ,

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The home page you shared the link to has a forum. Go to the English section.

Thanks Rangi...like I said I haven't read everything...but that forum does have interest when I have time. I'm glad you found the subject about walking around naked interpretive without conclusion, but...heh! each to his own.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
[MENTION=18876]Nydave[/MENTION] post #13

I hope no-one was thinking that I advocate Monaco as a retiree place. I've been there and it almost cost my annual pension in one day, and I don't gamble...well, only on the stock-market. I was using it as reference to Markit's point about the size of land, created in the past, and any opportunity for something similar in the future.

My intent to OP this thread was to exercise ideas on places, alternate to Bali, that expats may consider. I'm also a registered member of a website that recognizes such places and visited some, and can comment, but I'd prefer to hear other ideas first. Any suggestions?

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Davita I didn't take it as though you you were suggesting Monaco as a place to live,not at all,just the fact you mentioned the place I thought I would contribute what I had read about it recently,,liveandinvestoverseas.com,,that's the site I am a member on,who knows we might be using the same site,,,a lot of the places they recommend are in Asia,,

Now its time for me to take back my work, about there seems to be nobody living on Liberland,I just watched a video on utube showing a big bunch of mostly women constructing some type of building,and its clear to see in the background that there are already established houses and power lines,at one stage in the video you can see cars passing along the road,so its not a desolate uninhabited place as I first thought,there is also a video giving instructions on how to apply for citizenship,i check the citizenship thing yesterday and find it unusual that they ask you to submit your resumae,,maybe that's the norm I don't know,my son has 3 citizenships and nothing like that was ever asked,

davita

Mar 13, 2012
[MENTION=18876]Nydave[/MENTION] post #16

As the Ozzies say ...no worries.
Thanks for your contribution about Liberland and Utube...I didn't see that nor did I really believe anything existed there.
I was a little frivolous in my OP in an attempt to excise the idea that Bali is forever for us expats. I'm simply looking for dialogue, from reasonable people, with some reasonable contribution.
For example..I thought having a Malaysian (MM2H) visa for 10 years renewable was a good idea....but, looking at the current political situation there, I think it's now not as safe as my RI Retirement Visa.

People from Europe generally look at retirement havens within that geographical area whilst USA and Canadians prefer the Caribbean. Bali is generally considered after the fact...because of spousal connection, work, spiritual commitment, closeness to Australia, FIFO...or criminal activity elsewhere than cannot be sourced...:anonymous:.

It takes attitude to think outside that box and I'm simply hoping to inspire some other ideas.

G

Gurkha

"I'd expect something stimulating from Markit other than cloning Gurkha's style of commentary....." - Imitation is the greatest form of flattery!
Even if Merkin is weak on the content, and his style needs a lot of improvement, he provides me with endless amusement!

Over to you O great pubic wig!

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
There seems to be some recognition of the place,although I haven't checked it myself but from other articles I read they say its already covered by Wikipedia ( feel free to correct my spelling of that one) and also Google maps is supposed to be showing it as a country,what the hell im not doing anything right now so let me go check,

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Sure enough its on both Wiki and Google Earth,the Wiki article gives a good story of the place but it seems a complicated situation,,