All air and sea travel banned until June 1st

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
A good but probably a controversial move by the government.

Indonesia will temporarily ban domestic air and sea travel starting on Friday (Apr 24), barring a few exceptions, to prevent further spread of coronavirus, Transport Ministry officials said on Thursday.

The ban on air travel will be in place until Jun 1, Novie Riyanto Rahardjo, Transport Ministry's director general of aviation said. The ban on travel by sea will be in place until Jun 8, sea transportation director general Agus Purnomo said.

Cargo transportation is exempted from the ban, the officials said.

The government is banning Indonesia's traditional annual exodus for Muslim holidays.

Health experts had warned that allowing millions in the world's biggest Muslim-majority country to travel could hasten the spread of COVID-19.

Indonesia on Thursday reported 357 new COVID-19 cases and 11 new deaths, taking the total number of infections and fatalities to 7,775 and 647, respectively.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Reopening the borders to aircraft and ships is one thing but if arrivals then to have self quarantine for 14 days there will hardly be a lot of visitors rushing to visit.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Well I guess I'll be back in Perth until at least June then and on the aussie news they were reporting international travel will be one of the last things to re open and that is approx 3 months away.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Well I guess I'll be back in Perth until at least June then and on the aussie news they were reporting international travel will be one of the last things to re open and that is approx 3 months away.
Don't you believe it - if it takes 3 months to get back to flying then all the airports and airlines will be bankrupt along with Airbus and Boeing. I reckon middle to late May at the latest.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
and we are almost @ 3 months and it's looking like best case October. Being stuck in Perth is really starting to suck. I get paid by the govt right now but my low paid job is calling me back and from what I read Bali will first allow local tourists and then international and very best case is October. As for Australia restrictions are easing quicksmart I'll be able sit in pub with 100 others from Monday.

realworld

Apr 1, 2020
dont fret, if you have a contact in Bali you will see it is only starting to hit now the true numbers are far different from the bull they put on the news etc, Bali will in my opionion be closed till May 2021 at a rough estimate because other nations dont buy the unrealistic numbers they are pushing out.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
dont fret, if you have a contact in Bali you will see it is only starting to hit now the true numbers are far different from the bull they put on the news etc, Bali will in my opionion be closed till May 2021 at a rough estimate because other nations dont buy the unrealistic numbers they are pushing out.

I was suspicious also about Bali's numbers at first, but I haven't seen evidence of any large outbreak.

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Hi realworld . where do you get this May 2021 date from? And what “ other nations” are you referring to. I have many friends in Bali, and indeed on this blog, and none of them seem to be cognisant of any ‘cover up’ that you seem to be referring to.
As Pauline would say “Please explain?”

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Yeah I definitely don't think May 2021 either, although airline bankruptcy is a real risk. For now I'm stopped by all the travel bans pretty sure I am locked in Western Australia for the time being and obviously domestic travel would re open first anyway.

Reactions: tel522

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
Guys, I'm also trapped in Western Australia. I can't see the International border opening before October at the very earliest. I try to keep positive but it's damned hard when I want to be back on the Island of the Gods. I have a house I'm renting over there and I really want to get back.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Yeah the West Australian govt has pretty much eased all restrictions but international travel from this Friday (off to the pub with a mate on Monday for this first time since Feb!), but they sure seem to want to keep some $ locked in here and boost domestic tourism first. But then you're still dealing with the Indonesia restrictions and they're saying October too. It's nuts how long this has all taken already.

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
Yes I think you're right there about trying to keep the $ in WA. I have to say that I can see the logic in keeping overseas visitors on a short leash until they're cleared of the virus or otherwise. What i don't understand is the Aussie government banning people from leaving the country. Surely it should be an individuals right to make his/her own decision about leaving the country. Fine if you comeback and they want you to quarantine but not to be able to leave seems a bit over the top. Got a lady on Bali I asked to marry me and she said yes. Guess that's my driver so maybe I'm being a bit selfish.

Reactions: spicyayam

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
In all honesty I think that if we can get back in October that would be great....but in reality I think they wont allow o/s travel until early next year.
  1. to prop up the economy for domestic travel to try to dig out of the recession
  2. to try to stop c19 back in

hope im wrong but our kitas are due to expire real soon so i don wont the hassel of having a expired one and trying to renew

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
In all honesty I think that if we can get back in October that would be great....but in reality I think they wont allow o/s travel until early next year.
  1. to prop up the economy for domestic travel to try to dig out of the recession
  2. to try to stop c19 back in
hope im wrong but our kitas are due to expire real soon so i don wont the hassel of having a expired one and trying to renew

Check with the Indo consulate if it's possible, due to circumstances, to renew from where you are.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Don't you believe it - if it takes 3 months to get back to flying then all the airports and airlines will be bankrupt along with Airbus and Boeing. I reckon middle to late May at the latest.

Middle of May came and went. I would absolutely love it if it was sooner but October seems when I'll be getting back to Bali from what I've read. Still yet to meet the famous Markit any interest in a beer when I'm there mate?

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Middle of May came and went. I would absolutely love it if it was sooner but October seems when I'll be getting back to Bali from what I've read. Still yet to meet the famous Markit any interest in a beer when I'm there mate?

Yeah, my famous over-optimism. Who would of thought Indo would decide to get serious when the rest of the world is starting to get back to normal?

Would love to have you for a drink - where you planning on going? I'm up in the East near Candi dasa so that would be best for me. Drop my a PM when you're clearer where/when OK?

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Yeah, my famous over-optimism. Who would of thought Indo would decide to get serious when the rest of the world is starting to get back to normal?

Would love to have you for a drink - where you planning on going? I'm up in the East near Candi dasa so that would be best for me. Drop my a PM when you're clearer where/when OK?

All good. I'm actually not sure where we will stay yet, it's mostly been Sanur and Denpasar in the past, Mrs village is Karangesm so that area/ Candi dasa entirely possible to meet up as we would visit her family there at least once or twice. I will PM you once we actually have a date mate.

Reactions: Markit

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Drop me a line and don't forget BRING CHEESE PLEASE!!!. When you've gone into a shop and bought all you think you will need - turn around and go back and get some more - happy to pay for it so don't be shy :)