Py

Nov 11, 2002
Br. Basang Kasah, Bali
Alfred Russell Wallace Vs. the time-share salesmen.

Driving down Jalan Raya 'anything' one cannot help but be struck by the preponderance of literally hundreds of half completed and monstrous edifices. The love affair with cement and the vertiginous spiral into what is fast becoming the second fastest growing city in Asia has stopped dead in its tracks. What was once a marginal backwater that ambivalently harbored a bohemian society of diasporas and borderless flotsam has in the past five years metamorphosized with a virulence into a get rich quick yuppie utopia. No longer is old Pak Ketut drawing up a dubious contract on a student note pad to lease his ancestral 'sawal' to some misty eyed dreamer, a dreamer with visions of building a "Swiss family Robinson" fantasy in which to live out his days in rustic splendor. No longer is there the quaint system of communicating through note pads hanging on every gate tucked far down flowered 'gangs'.

The land lines and computers are in place, oiled and revving, overloading their struggling systems. The hand phones are glued to almost every ear, four at a table, three on hand phones. The Bali Advertiser has in five short years exploded from a ramshackle single page optimism into a malevolency of slickly advertised professional land grabbing and divvying.
Every road that cuts its swath through the beauty of Southern Bali has been lined end to end with fly-by-night Shoplettes that obliterate that verdant landscape just ten meters beyond. In fact it is a shock to realize that seen from the air even built up Kuta looks green. It is akin to a painted woman of a certain age and some celebrity long adrift in money grubbing cynicism, far astray from the youthful dedications that gave rise (no pun) to that celebrity in the first place, (a sexist analogy I know, but political correctness drove me out of America).

Every new compendium of cinder-block and corrugated tin has a hole dug in its backside. Up till recently, a new one each time you blinked. Each of these holes are built on top of ancient 'sawal'. And what is a paddy field if not a highly evolved water transportation system, a water transportation system now catering to literally thousands of haunches squatting over thousands of holes, day in, day out, a system that now carries a frightening bacteriological lode of effluent down to the very sea that is a primary lure for the unsuspecting visitor. In the late rainy season after a big storm we have seen such sights and colors they strain credulity. Black waves with brownish-yellow bubbling froth in place of 'white-water'. Sand obscured by mounds of discarded condoms, syringes and bubbling fecal foam.

The venal shortsightedness that is the map for this debauchery was hopefully immolated along with those almost two hundred tragic souls on that awful night.
This is not yet another plaintiff screed bemoaning the predictable despoiling of paradise, but rather a question posed. Will the sordid debacle of 10.12 in anyway engender a more thoughtful management of an irreplaceable resource? ...oh much more than a resource, no less than a earthly treasure for all of humanity and all of time.

I am very clear that Russell-Wallace himself was, for all his unselfconscious principle, an original regional shock trooper of a tide that is in effect in every corner of our globe. The dusty international road weasels that have for a century or so washed upon these shores are themselves merely forerunners of the package tourist. The issue at stake here is only thoughtful long term management.

I only paint this blackest of paintings because, although true, too many, as is evident on another forum, see contemporary Bali only through a hazy and touchy-feely veneer of saccharine that is itself patronizing and paternalistic if not inherently racist.

Forever the optimist, sincerely, Py.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
I only paint this blackest of paintings because, although true, too many, as is evident on another forum, see contemporary Bali only through a hazy and touchy-feely veneer of saccharine that is itself patronizing and paternalistic if not inherently racist.

Thanks.

I am not alone anymore.

marcia

Nov 5, 2002
Py, your words speak to me of a ghetto. From 12/10 i'm hoping the thinking in Bali will be for the long term, rather then short term . Environmentally and economically.
The "touchy feely veneer." If Bali keeps on building it will have artists who paint surreal pictures of how it used to be, and the reality of a couple of showcase ricefields for tourism.
Where is old Pak Ketut now?
Racism- Yep, i spat the dummy in a major way re a Gaz post which said to treat all Balinese as 'children'. and the post got even worse. One of the more obviously patronising, paternalistic posts it's ever been my misfortune to read. Not that i take much notice of Gaz usually, but how many more secretly harbor this attitude?

Py

Nov 11, 2002
Br. Basang Kasah, Bali
Admittedly, as I stated, I have painted a rather bleak scenario here. Truth be told, a lot of long timers and thoughtful locals here share this subject as a common preoccupation, ("Bali rusak" is an oft heard refrain). It is not that the world and particularly Bali are not moving at a breakneck clip, they are, the issue here are the decisions that have been made and the reasons behind making them. Let's be smart here, does anyone really believe that Bali has been developed in anything but the most grievous of ways?

When there is no forward thinking whatsoever, no overall conceptual model for the inevitable, but only a craven regard for the immediate lining of pockets, we see a long chain of some of the worst possible decisions being made.

Just one example, when a much needed new street is built to elevate some of the snarling traffic jams throughout the ill planned Kuta/Seminyak precincts, because of corruption, a piece of the allotted funds gets pocketed by someone at each rung along the chain of command. The result of this being that when the spaciously planned but still white rock avenue is finally asphalted, it is exactly two Kijangs wide and does not really help stem any of the existing traffic problems.
Add to this the fact that these roads cut through open fields, the view of which will instantly be blocked by all the shops that spring up. No overall vision in preserving what it is that makes Bali attractive to the world at large, only short term profiteering.

A plausible infrastructure of waste disposal does not provide immediate profits for anyone as things are set up. Just sit on Jalan Raya Uluwatu some time and count the number of trucks loaded up with white limestone heading down hill. It's frightening.

I do not argue to keep Eden Eden at the expense of the local income so the likes of myself can indulge in some escapist fantasy. We are talking practical management and decision making with some kind of vision to the future. This would ultimately bring in more money in the long term by giving a wide range of visitors a much superior experience and a desire to return. Let's also not forget that some of the worst profiteering is committed by non Balinese Indonesian interests with no feeling whatsoever for the texture that makes Bali what it is. The Banjars must strengthen their resolve on these issues as they are the ultimate arbiters.

How do you combat the rape of a limited recourse in an environment that has corruption as its basic modus operandi? The Balinese themselves are loath to be dictated to by any westerners. Their independent spirit would rather have them do the wrong thing than fall into step with some pontificating foreigner.

wondering, (and wondering existentially if one should even care),

Py

P.S. Spelled "sawah" wrong in the original. Can't spell for crap anyway and am totally reliant on 'spell check'. There IS no 'spell check' for Indonesian words. Add to this, I often find myself using incorrect pronunciations in both languages because that is the way my five year old son says them. It's so much more charming.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
wondering, (and wondering existentially if one should even care)

Caring is done from your (our) perspective, imho

Let them go, if not, Bali will change in a second Costa Brava.

Bali is nice the way it is.

Bert

Gloria

Nov 5, 2002
Py said:
Alfred Russell Wallace Vs. the time-share salesmen.

Driving down Jalan Raya 'anything' one cannot help but be struck by the preponderance of literally hundreds of half completed and monstrous edifices. The love affair with cement and the vertiginous spiral into what is fast becoming the second fastest growing city in Asia has stopped dead in its tracks. What was once a marginal backwater that ambivalently harbored a bohemian society of diasporas and borderless flotsam has in the past five years metamorphosized with a virulence into a get rich quick yuppie utopia. No longer is old Pak Ketut drawing up a dubious contract on a student note pad to lease his ancestral 'sawal' to some misty eyed dreamer, a dreamer with visions of building a "Swiss family Robinson" fantasy in which to live out his days in rustic splendor. No longer is there the quaint system of communicating through note pads hanging on every gate tucked far down flowered 'gangs'.

The land lines and computers are in place, oiled and revving, overloading their struggling systems. The hand phones are glued to almost every ear, four at a table, three on hand phones. The Bali Advertiser has in five short years exploded from a ramshackle single page optimism into a malevolency of slickly advertised professional land grabbing and divvying.
Every road that cuts its swath through the beauty of Southern Bali has been lined end to end with fly-by-night Shoplettes that obliterate that verdant landscape just ten meters beyond. In fact it is a shock to realize that seen from the air even built up Kuta looks green. It is akin to a painted woman of a certain age and some celebrity long adrift in money grubbing cynicism, far astray from the youthful dedications that gave rise (no pun) to that celebrity in the first place, (a sexist analogy I know, but political correctness drove me out of America).

Every new compendium of cinder-block and corrugated tin has a hole dug in its backside. Up till recently, a new one each time you blinked. Each of these holes are built on top of ancient 'sawal'. And what is a paddy field if not a highly evolved water transportation system, a water transportation system now catering to literally thousands of haunches squatting over thousands of holes, day in, day out, a system that now carries a frightening bacteriological lode of effluent down to the very sea that is a primary lure for the unsuspecting visitor. In the late rainy season after a big storm we have seen such sights and colors they strain credulity. Black waves with brownish-yellow bubbling froth in place of 'white-water'. Sand obscured by mounds of discarded condoms, syringes and bubbling fecal foam.

The venal shortsightedness that is the map for this debauchery was hopefully immolated along with those almost two hundred tragic souls on that awful night.
This is not yet another plaintiff screed bemoaning the predictable despoiling of paradise, but rather a question posed. Will the sordid debacle of 10.12 in anyway engender a more thoughtful management of an irreplaceable resource? ...oh much more than a resource, no less than a earthly treasure for all of humanity and all of time.

I am very clear that Russell-Wallace himself was, for all his unselfconscious principle, an original regional shock trooper of a tide that is in effect in every corner of our globe. The dusty international road weasels that have for a century or so washed upon these shores are themselves merely forerunners of the package tourist. The issue at stake here is only thoughtful long term management.

Forever the optimist, sincerely, Py.
Py oh Py....your masterpiece of words painted in the most realistic,expressionistic,IMpressionisitic,holistic way is superb and a true analysis of the Kuta surrounds as they are today.I could feel it, taste it, smell it,hate it,love it,cry over it....and heal it with all my spiritual energy, appealing to the almighty leaders of mankind,the all seeing eyes of Gods...and the power of unconditional love.......to those who have endured the changes,quietly shaking their united heads ,hearts and minds in a maestrom of plastic people and bottles for three decades gone......the wonderful,beautiful,serene Balinese. Thank you for the out-pouring of your soul.....Gloria

Py

Nov 11, 2002
Br. Basang Kasah, Bali
Well, 10 years on, and not only did my worst predictions come true, but it's a hell of a lot worse than that. Goodbye beautiful island, we hardly know ya!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Boy that's what I call being careful with your words! 97 posts in 10 years - did they just thaw you out?

Good to know that the south was a shit-hole back then, it aint changed!

Are we surprised?

Is there any part of this planet that hasn't changed for the worse - in the eyes of those that were there before?

I brought new eyes to Bali in 2008 and have to say I love it still - it and I have improved - I can buy western food when I want it (not often but I do still like it) I can do many things that I can't in the west that are peculiarly Balinese...still. Bali is more open to western thinking - who needs the witch doctors and black magic of yesteryears? Etc, etc.

I enjoyed your well written essay and although I don't share your gloom I do understand where it comes from and hope you can come to terms with your dissapointment.

Just out of interest where do you live now?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Just out of interest where do you live now?

An interesting question. Py's original post was one month after the first bomb. Development iin Bali paused a bit, then resumed.

In the 10 years since that post, the world population has increased by about 900 million (about 11%), and extreme poverty has decreased, so more and more people aspire to have their own home - mostly urban. So all over the developing world, agricultural land is being "developed" as urban areas.

Py saw this trend in Bali and despaired. So where can one go to avoid this despair?

Py

Nov 11, 2002
Br. Basang Kasah, Bali
I live off a small and very quiet road in a large secluded house overlooking about 200 degrees of ocean off the south coast of the Bukit. My work is here so I only drive for the surf that is all around and easily accessible on uncontested roads of the extreme south.

Why the gloom then? Not really gloomy, quite happy actually, just so often dumbstruck by the utterly craven and stultifying stupidity in the way this island has been developed, no wasted, in the 20+ years I have called it home.

The spiraling traffic Juggernaut has now isolated Bali residents into a series of islands, Sanur people no longer cruise into Seminyak for dinner, Bukit people no longer make a run to Ubud for an art opening. We are now cut off from friends and events in our respective quadrants, and to breach these limits often means braving 2 hours of a bumper to bumper gridlocked traffic nightmare. This is barely acceptable in capital and administrative cities such as Bangkok and Jakarta, but a holiday island where people go to seek their pleasure and relaxation? Absurd.

If you cast a cold eye over the numbers; building projects, licenses granted, projected hotel rooms, foreign and domestic visitors per year, the massive expansion of Ngurah Rai airport, the available water table, the fragile infrastructure including waste disposal and the electric grid, it all adds up to an extremely bleak and Hobbesian scenario in the coming years. Unimpeded bacteria madly racing to the edges of its petri dish.

Last edited:

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Ok, you suckered me in.
Having formally lived in the Ubud area I moved on to West Bali, and haven't regretted it. It is a long 2 lane highway wracked with wrecks (how was that?), but the folks here are relatively unjaded by tourism, the beaches fairly vacant (albeit unclean), and no hassles for transport!, etc. Most nights there is little need for AC, and although far from many necessities, the occasional trip south is a break from boredom, and once duly provisioned quickly fulfilled with a desire to return home.
I guess everyone has their priorities, but mine are satisfied here.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ditto to Mugwump but in the East. And actually the places you mention are still accessable but not during peak driving hours - if you want to head off to Ubud for an opening go the night before and stay over.