mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Recently there was mention of several airlines with financial problems concerning adequate equities owned to qualify continuing to provide service in Indonesia. They were required to have their respective financial houses in order by 30 September 2015 or cease operations in RI.
Among this group was Air Asia, and as bad luck would have it I have tickets from Bali to Myanmar in November 2015.
Being in the US now is a slight disadvantage in being able to get more information, but reviewing the past 14 months have received at least 2 and as many as 5 online adds from AA each and every month in my email until July 2015. Since the end of June there have been none!
Does anyone have an update? I can't request a refund before 10 September 2015 upon my return to Bali. In the meantime I can't risk further credit card charges in Myanmar in realization of the risk, and November is high season there.
Would appreciate any valid information.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If it's any consolation I'm still getting AA blurb (not alcoholics anonymous). Last one was Aug 20th. Mug your stay in the US must have blighted your memory, if you cast your mind back to Bali/Indonesia you will remember that it is usually total chaos here. In the case of AA it is no different but only been moved to the back of the class due to imminent economic flame-out (thanks China), demise of the IDR (ditto and Joko), changes in ownership laws, drought over all of Bali, changes in visas (Davita's fault), I could go on but you get the idea.

Suggest you either pay for your Myanmar trip with a credit card or get some decent travel insurance to cover your ass in any event?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Haven't been gone that long, and can still read my computer. The fact that you are getting blurbs from AA and I am not is hardly any consolation since they have my money!
We will see upon my return I guess.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The financial problem you mention has to do with Air Asia (Indonesia). The RI minister has stated those airlines companies 'registered' in Indonesia, who do not get out of negative equity by 30 Sep 2015, WILL lose their operating permit. This has been an ongoing threat which (imo) Indonesia cannot afford to apply.
As others have observed the economy of Indonesia is in the toilet...any action this minister takes would be like pressing the flush button.

The trip Bali-Yangon is generally operated by Air Asia (Malaysia). This is a seperate company over which Indonesia has little jurisdiction with regard to its financial status and operating permit. The fact is it's the only division of Air Asia that has made profit.
I wouldn't worry as your ticket should be with Air Asia (Berhad)...please check your contract.
In addition...due to recent currency fluctuations (IDR/MYR to US$) you might review any advantage to returning your ticket and renewing.

Markit mentioned that I had something to do with a change in RI visa policy. I recall that some 40+ countries were recently permitted free VOA...including citizens of USA....but I had nothing to do with that and therefore cannot take credit. :tongue:

Last edited:

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Whew.......what a relief! You are absolutely right Davita. The ticket states "Berhad". I had falsely assumed that since the flight originated (I guess) in Indonesia that it was part of the Indonesian corporate segment. It was purchased in Indonesia in June and didn't know enough about the structuring to doubt its corporate identity.
Thanks Much!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Recent news is......

Indonesia AirAsia (IA) will soon cease operating. The company will be merged with Indonesia AirAsia X (IAX) to save the airline from losing its flight permit.

"By merging with IAX, IA's equity is no longer negative, and IAX doesn't have negative equity since it hasn't yet being audited and has been operating for less than a year," said Transportation Ministry director general for air transportation Suprasetyo on Wednesday as quoted by tempo.co.

- See more at: Indonesia AirAsia to disappear in merger: Ministry | The Jakarta Post

Although this MAY be a temporary relief I would hesitate to buy forward Air Asia (Indonesia or IndonesiaX) tickets until the minister resolves the issue.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I hope it's more than temporary relief. I have an AirAsia X ticket booked to Sydney in January, 2016. :icon_eek:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I hope it's more than temporary relief. I have an AirAsia X ticket booked to Sydney in January, 2016. :icon_eek:

Mats...check your ticket...Air Asia X is a different company to Indonesia Air Asia X (IAX) although, if you bought the ticket here in Bali, it is likely an IAX ticket

I wouldn't worry too much as IAX was not investigated and I'm sure it is (maybe) solvent. The minister himself admitted it hasn't been audited. It was Indonesia Air Asia that was fundamentally bankrupt and that's why it has been dissolved and re-branded as Indonesia Air Asia X..... to satisfy the Indonesian requirement of positive equity.
There is a lot of shifty stuff goes on when lucrative airline permits are issued and any airline, registered in RI, must not have more than 49% foreign ownership.

It was obvious that plan B to sell preferential shares was doomed so this amalgamation should be considered as plan X ...:icon_e_biggrin::black_eyed:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I just checked my ticket. The airline code is XT which is Indonesia AirAsia X.

You are right Mats..... XT822 is PT Indonesia Air Asia Extra...a separate company to Indonesia Air Asia and is not subject to the 30 Sep 2015 requirement of showing positive equity...at least not yet...maybe 30 Sep 2016?

btw the departure is 0100am...past my bedtime...please tell the captain to NOT fly over my house...:icon_e_biggrin:

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
The thread here still has concerns as today Air Asia announced the cancellation of my return flight from Myanmar! Their flaky finances may be coming home to roost.
There is no doubt about airlines canceling flights with frequency everywhere, but usually there are more options. Coming back to Denpasar from Rangoon, Rangon or Yangon (place with many names) has few picks, and non that attractive.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
@post #11

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. Unfortunately, none of the Air Asia Airlines are members of International Airlines Transportation Association (IATA) so you are not covered by that association as you would be if booked with a member. However, in your case, I'm sure they must have offered options.....including cancellation.
I've personally also had problems with Air Asia's ticketing but they just don't respond to enquiries...I guess that's in the cost of the ticket.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
.... btw the departure is 0100am...past my bedtime...please tell the captain to NOT fly over my house...:icon_e_biggrin:
:icon_e_biggrin: Most flights to Sydney leave Bali around this time because of the airport curfew in Sydney and the time difference. The airport is closed from midnight until 6:00 am every day, so those who live near the airport in Sydney can get some sleep. :cupcake:

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
:icon_e_biggrin: Most flights to Sydney leave Bali around this time because of the airport curfew in Sydney and the time difference. The airport is closed from midnight until 6:00 am every day, so those who live near the airport in Sydney can get some sleep. :cupcake:

No doubt that is why there's tension between RI and OZland. We have to suffer late night noise from A/C flying down south while you ozzies are offered a good night sleep.....J/K.

My whole life has been in aviation and Ive often flown Hong Kong to Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide where noise abatement is forced. We sometimes have to slow down, instead of arriving too early, when we get a better than expected tailwind.

The Bali motor-cycle noise offends me more than a turbine engine...I lived on military airfields most of my life and from my flat in Hong Kong (old Kai Tak) I could almost touch A/C turning onto final approach to the runway at one end.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
The Bali motor-cycle noise offends me more than a turbine engine...I lived on military airfields most of my life and from my flat in Hong Kong (old Kai Tak) I could almost touch A/C turning onto final approach to the runway at one end.

I still remember in the early '80, landing on Kai Tak in a huge rain storm. Since it was my first time in HKG, and I had no clue about that airport reputation, I really did not worry. But the next morning, I was able to see the layout of the place, with the only runway ending right in down town Hong Kong, probably at the foot of your apartment building! WOW! :icon_e_surprised::icon_e_surprised::icon_e_surprised:

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've heard tales (fictional?) of people's washing with lines still attached hanging onto the landing gear of planes in HK.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I've heard tales (fictional?) of people's washing with lines still attached hanging onto the landing gear of planes in HK.

hahaha...lucky I was single in those days otherwise, coming home with a set of bra and panties in my navbag I said I removed from the wheels would have cost me half my pension in the subsequent divorce...:grumpy:

The approach to Runway 13 at Kai Tak was legendary but perfectly safe....except in bad weather. For those interested techies I've linked what I think is a very good explanation of the procedure (done it maybe 100 times). The main difference between this and other airports was the approach was made at 088deg and a turn to the r'way heading of 135deg had to be made within 2 nautical miles from touchdown. If the wind was still it was OK but any Xwind really compounded the problem. The fact that people were taking a shower in the nearby apartments only distracted those who weren't focussed.
I've been retired over 25 years but now, looking at those youtube landings, I'm thinking we didn't get paid enough...we should at least have been given a laundry allowance for our stained underwear...:icon_wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gYENf3Zyho

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks for the youtube connections it really helped me get that much needed afternoon nap.

Are all airline pilots boring assholes or just the ones that fly?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Are all airline pilots boring assholes or just the ones that fly?

I don't know...maybe ask some when you can converse intellegently enough that they will even notice you.

In hindsight I think you're right....nothing more boring than standing in an aero club, with a warm beer, listening to a bunch of pilots telling each other what a splendid landing they just did...:apathy:

Last edited: