hecta

Sep 22, 2013
Hello all, I have noticed, among the regular contributors to Balipod, a definite theme of Aussie-bashing. True, I have seen and been embarrassed by drunken groups of yobbos in Kuta. But, living in Jayapura for 7 months, I felt like I was the only westerner in Papua.
Back to the reason for this post. During the fiscal year, 2014/15, RI topped the list of overseas recipients of Australian Aid at $627.6 million. But, probably due to Tuan Widodo's leadership, RI has slipped below PNG on the list of recipients.
For 2015/16 will only receive $375.7 million. A feather in Joko's cap?
FYI for the visa to Australia applicants. I complained about the huge discrepancy between Indonesian citizens and the rest of the world, in that RI citizens cannot apply for visas online. Australian Department of Immigration replied that they have re-assessed the list and RI citizens will be added to it.

Amen.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Do you know if there is a detailed list of where the foreign aid goes to and how much is spent on what? I can't remember where I read it, but it was an article criticizing foreign aid as it is used by a country to further their own interests in the foreign country, rather than for purely humanitarian reasons, which I think we are largely led to believe. An example they gave in the article was for a mining company who wanted to build a mine in the foreign country, the foreign aid money was used to build surrounding infrastructure like roads for the mine.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Exactly right Spicy. The UK gives huge amounts of "Aid" to, for instance, India who have their own plans for ships to Mars and Luna. It's all self-serving BS.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I think a large amount of Ausssie aid goes to roads projects such as the by-pass road past Gianyar and Klungkung and the main east-west road in Flores. Some goes to educational projects and some to health like AIDS awareness in Papua. That's just what I have picked up from various news items - I have never seen a detailed breakdown.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
To counter all the Ozzy bashing (mine) on here I will say I have also heard that they financed the rebuild of the dual -carriageway to Goa Lawar in Karangasem.

This is clearly not a BS self-serving project.

Unless you presume they did it so the Oz holiday makers can get to Candi Dasa faster?!

Hence my use of the UK as example

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
The justification for a project would usually be in terms of aiding the local economy. So the east-west road in Flores which involves improving many very winding parts of the road will boost the tourist potential of Flores. Many tourists will fly in to one end, meander along this road visiting beaches, arak distilleries and high-spots, then finally departing from the other end.