skunksounds

Aug 21, 2009
Hello all-

I recently accepted a year long teaching position in Denpasar and would like to live in the Sanur area. I have done extensive research on the web as well as picking through this entire forum, and haven't found too much useful information. Since I will be here for at least 1 year, I would like to get out of the homestays and hotels, and find a place where I can actually unpack my bag and keep it that way. I was curious as to if anyone had information as far as where to go to find AFFORDABLE housing? From what I gather, I think you typically want to avoid the agents. But all the listings I am finding online are for much higher prices than I can afford on a teachers salary. I have $2000 US, maybe a little more to get started. I have heard stories of people finding small houses for $1000 per year, but I don't know if this is fact or fiction or just dumb luck :lol: Ideally, I would like to find a small, furnished, 1 or 2 bedroom house that fall within that price range. Otherwise, I suppose I could do an apartment if it is nice enough, but I know the nicer they are, the more pricey they will be. But I would like to try and avoid apartment living at all cost if possible.

As always, thanks for any information!!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I don't know of any properties going in the area but I do have a friend that teaches in Denpasar and rents a two bedroom house in Sanur area for less than$1000 per year. A simple house but that sounds like all you want. So they are available.

skunksounds

Aug 21, 2009
Thanks for the reply mimpimanis-

I know from older posts that you said you have a friend teaching at EF/Englishtown. If this happens to be the same person, would you consider sending me her name (skunksounds@hotmail.com)? I ask because that is where I will be working, so it should be very easy to talk to her and possibly get some advice as far as where to go and how she got it. But needless to say, I appreciate the reply. It lets me know that it is possible!!

skunksounds

Aug 21, 2009
I have finally found a beautiful 3 bedroom furnished house in Sanur for 15.000.000 per year! Guess it pays to know the locals.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Well done Skunksounds. My friend has been looking for something bigger recently - looks like she missed a bargain! Don't know if you would have meet her at school yet, she has been off for a while - went back this week I think.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I have finally found a beautiful 3 bedroom furnished house in Sanur for 15.000.000 per year!

It would be nice to see some pictures! That sounds like a great price. I just realized my lease is up next month.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
If you want to move down south spicy... I know of a house going for 35 million. Expat owned. 4 bedrooms. The owner has just moved into a new house. I have never been to the house nor even know the owner but I know one of the staff and both of my girls have been to the house and say it is very nice, very big, huge garden with mangos and other fruit trees. They think it would have been a much better deal than where I am now... but too late for me.

If you were interested I would be happy to go take some pics for you.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Thanks for the offer, but I like it where I am living now and will hopefully buy something next year.

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
There will always be better Mimpi,, you did well.
your new place looks very nice to me :D

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
hi Mimpi,

If you have some time and are in the area could you post some pics of the property you mentioned a few posts back?

id be interested in renting a house for a year, although not for 35.000.000 but would like to see what you can rent for this price.

also are there any hidden costs to be aware of ?

have a great day, Chilli.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hi Chilli

The house has already been rented now, so I wouldn't like to go nosing around and taking pictures :oops:

That was a bargain and in this area I don't hear or see of many like that. You visited us in our old house and I can tell you that cost 30 million per year. However at the time we came to move there was nothing else available in the same complex for less that 50 million and that was only 2 bedrooms. Many of the houses there up for rent have been empty for ages though. Probably because they are asking too much. There were a few cheaper ones but they were snatched up before we knew we had to move.

The house we are in now is 3 bedrooms, 2 floors and 25 million per year. It was the cheapest house we could find in this area. But it needs a bit of money spending on it to fix the roof and deal with the damp...(even though it is a new house!) you can see pics of it and the little garden in FB.

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Hi Mimpi,

No, i wouldnt want you nosing around, I should have realised it would be rented out by now.

im sorry to hear about your leaky roof problems with your new rental. I dont understand how you would have to pay for the repairs either.

But thanks for all the info. I think its best i check out rentals in person when im in Bali.

bye for now.

nutmeg

Jan 24, 2010
Hi Mimpi,
i am new to this forum and thinking of moving to bali. the rentals i have looked at, maybe i haven't looked harder, but they all seem to be alot more than 25 - 35 million per year. perhaps what i had been looking at were "villas". is this the average price of housing in Bali? i have no idea where to start, nor know how to go about looking for a place.
thanks for any advice :)

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
hai nutmeg...
first of all, welcome to the forum :)

bali is small, but prices for houses to rent(or buy) differ a whole lot.
depending on where you wanna live on Bali (east,west,north or south).
for example : upnorth one can find a house for as cheap as 15j a year, downsouth will be a whole lot more expensive.
Why do you want to live on bali? I think it depends on what you're looking for, decides a bit of where to live...

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It's a good idea to decide which part of Bali you want to live in first. If you look for places on the internet, they are usually more expensive. Your best bet would be to come here stay in a hotel for a while and then just asking people if they know of any places for rent.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hi Nutmeg I think if the house is being marketed to tourists you are going to pay more for a start. So I wouldn't look at agents or the newspaper. I found my house just driving around and looking for signs on fences, windows etc for contract. 25 million was the cheapest house I found in this area. My next choice would have been 35 million. I was chatting to a friend last weekend and she was telling me about someone she knows who rents a house for 25 million inc small pool! Her own simple little house is 9 million.... unfortunately she doesn't know of anything going at the moment as I just asked for someone else.

nutmeg

Jan 24, 2010
Thanks Gilbert, SpicyAyam, Mimpi,
i think i might want to stay somewhere in the ubud area, or sanur, denpasar area. anywhere between any town in the south all the way up to ubud as long as i can have a decent internet connection and be not too far from a market to get fresh vegetables. my budget is unfortunately extremely limited...like everybody else's i'm sure ! ... but i am not fussy about places as long as the plumbing works fine, the roof holds up and not too many creepy crawlies around at night :) I suppose it all boils down to making a decision and getting myself to Bali in the first place to look around. thanks for all your suggestions. am very grateful indeed ! hope i can meet up with some of you when i eventually get there :)