geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
It goes to show that you don't need to be slim, glamorous and show a bit of leg or bust.

Adele has sold out and announced another Sydney show
There will be 2 sell out shows at the Olympic stadium alone of 90,000 each show.
When first show went on sale the website crashed people struggled to get tickets it took me 1hr 50 mins and could only get the worst tickets still costing over $100
The tickets immediately came onto eBay for over $1000 for A reserve(while people were on the website trying to order). Ticket agencies were getting hammered on Social media and News.
40% of tickets were over $300 ,30% over $200.
The same will happen when next Sydney show goes on sale and will be hard to get, website will probably crash again.
She will perform 8 shows in Australia over 20 days, close to 500,000 people will go that's huge for a country with a population of 23 million
Sydney alone by my Conservative estimate of average $180 a ticket will have over $16 million n ticket sales.
Even if she only gets 30% of the ticket sales its close to $10 million dollars for 2 nights in Sydney alone.
There are articles that say an artist can get as much as 80% of ticket sales.
There are also mega millions for promotional material CDs T shirts programs etc etc
So for a few weeks work she will earn $20 - $30 million in a small country.
could be more its just a guess
Not bad for a overweight glamorous working class girl.
Who ever said talent is not enough.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Co-incidentally....I recently bought an MP3 CD of the 'Best of Adele' in one of the music stores in the Discovery Mall in Bali.

It has 91 Adele songs on it...probably a copy of all the albums she has made from 2008 to 2012....and it cost me IDR Rp 10,000...equal to an Ozzie dollar.

Ooops.... just noticed this MP3 CD also includes 87 numbers from Pink Floyd albums (2001-2010) and 30 from Jessie J (2011-2012).

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think because of piracy this is the only way musicians can make money now. The 80% of ticket sales sounds kind of optimistic to me. I am sure there is a lot to go into these kinds of shows.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
....quote "Even if she only gets 30% of the ticket sales its close to $10 million dollars for 2 nights in Sydney alone."

To put it into perspective she grosses $5 million for her 2 hour show and the Airline Captain who flies her to the next show in, say Melbourne, will gross around $4-500 salary for the trip.... but he'll probably fly two more sectors that same day.

Yet everyone complains about the cost of airline tickets but seemingly happy to buy overly-expensive tickets to watch a fat lady sing.....:topsy_turvy:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Not enough to fly to sydney lol

hahaha...flying to Sydney will be relatively cheap...it's buying a ticket for the event that'll burn your wallet and maybe require taking out a mortgage.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Adele is a nice Cockney girl (thank god the accent is still somewhere) who can sing a bit and has good crowd control moves. 30 years ago she'd have been well known in Stepney or Shore Ditch but not much more. Her popularity now says more about the lack of any decent competition than it does about her "talent".

But what do I know?

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Adele is a nice Cockney girl (thank god the accent is still somewhere) who can sing a bit and has good crowd control moves. 30 years ago she'd have been well known in Stepney or Shore Ditch but not much more. Her popularity now says more about the lack of any decent competition than it does about her "talent".

But what do I know?

Not a lot
she has bucketloads of talent.
21 IS A MASTERPIECE
In any generation she would compete she is a great songwriter (possibly the best in the world at the moment along with Sia )and what a voice.
Stop living your youth and embrace today

davita

Mar 13, 2012

Ahhg!...what happened to my youth...all that friggin' time romancing to Frank Sinatra, strumming the washboard with Lonnie Donegan and later dancing the twist with Chubby Checker...what a waste...:black_eyed:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

I do and have but am not willing to lower my standards. She has a pleasant voice but she's just way too weepy for me. I'm more of a Grace and Nora Jones or Joni Mitchel kind of guy.

In 10 years no one will remember 21, 32 or 43

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
I do and have but am not willing to lower my standards. She has a pleasant voice but she's just way too weepy for me. I'm more of a Grace and Nora Jones or Joni Mitchel kind of guy.

In 10 years no one will remember 21, 32 or 43

I think they will
considering 21 is the 11th biggest selling album of all time.
It will move up theat list as well in the coming years .
Its the biggest selling album this century, your Norah Jones is NO 2 this century.
Whats up with weepy , maybe that's what you need

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Whatever happened to Susan Boyle...I liked her...she made me weep.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I think they will
considering 21 is the 11th biggest selling album of all time.
It will move up theat list as well in the coming years .
Its the biggest selling album this century, your Norah Jones is NO 2 this century.
Whats up with weepy , maybe that's what you need

"Best selling" doesn't carry much weight with me.

Just because the Bible is the best selling book of all time (so far) doesn't mean it's a good read or makes any sense, the contrary actually.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Just because the Bible is the best selling book of all time (so far) doesn't mean it's a good read or makes any sense, the contrary actually.

That's a good point...if I wanted to read the bible in a library or buy from a bookstore......should I go to the fiction or non-fiction section....:confused: :devilish:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Crime section

hahaha...lucky you're in Oz geedee...I was going to respond with some humor but my wife is now very familiar with the blasphemy law here in RI....and she's a Protestant...:boxing:

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
hahaha...flying to Sydney will be relatively cheap...it's buying a ticket for the event that'll burn your wallet and maybe require taking out a mortgage.

Second Sydney show there a few tickets left but they are crap tickets
On ebay now the real good tickets are selling for over $1000
even the bad ones are $250
A reserve cost $307 originally

adele a reserve in Tickets, Travel | eBay

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've heard that the "artists" themselves are putting a lot of the high priced tickets onto the market hiding behind the touts for a % because they don't want to be seen as skimming their own public. It's all bulltaco.

I personally wouldn't go to a major concert anymore. If you actually want to see the band and hear the music it's much better on film without the idiots waving their lighters or holding up the cameras/mobile phones and to get a beer you only need to go to the fridge...