ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Bali is a small island, but move a short distance and it can totally change. This blogger finds the Bukit Peninsula is a world away from Kuta - even though the distance is not far. He begins:
I had spent five splendid days in Ubud, and used it as a base to cycle around Bali's beautiful, bottle-green countryside. But now I was hankering for a beach.

Kuta, a little over an hour's minibus ride away, was an obvious choice but I was looking for somewhere slightly less in-your-face. Seminyak and Sanur didn't fit the bill, either.

As a solo traveller, I wasn't keen on being surrounded almost exclusively by holidaying couples - and I yearned for a blend of relaxation and adventure with perhaps a few other singletons for company.

My dilemma was solved by an unlikely source. I discovered that my cousin Ray was surfing with friends on the breaks off the Bukit Peninsula, the chunk of land that stretches south of Bali airport.

I don't surf, and in any case had heard the waves down there were far too formidable for beginners. But my cousin had insisted in his email: "The Bukit isn't all about surfing!"

The full article (fairly long) is at It's Bali but not so in-your-face - The West Australian