A disappointing reaction from Mangku Pastika

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
In yesterday's Bali Update one item "Governor Questions Proposed Training Hospital" (you can find the full item at https://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=5083) reports that the Governor is dubious about the value of a proposed training hospital in Bali. It says in part:
Governor Pastika told members of the Provincial House of Representatives on Tuesday, February 24, 2009: "I have not received any explanation whatsoever regarding the purpose and goal of the new training hospital. I have reservations because the people will certainly be reluctant to go to a hospital if they will be treated like laboratory rabbits in the hands of medical students."
A well funded training hospital could attract high standard facilities and highly skilled staff. Maybe some people who currently pop off to Singapore could find the treatment they need here. Any improvement to medical facilities in Bali will be a help to tourism. So I find the Governor's reaction a bit disappointing and short sighted.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
According to that article, Governor Pastika has "reservations because the people will certainly be reluctant to go to a hospital if they will be treated like laboratory rabbits in the hands of medical students." I find that an incredibly naiive statement from a person in his position.

After all, does he really believe that medical students just go to Universities, study medicine for several years, graduate and start treating patients? Where can budding doctors get hands-on, (hopefully competently supervised), practical experience if not in existing functioning hospitals, or places like the proposed training hospital?

Of the three possible locations: Udayana Campus on the Bukit (Jimbaran), Tohpati (near Sanur), and Suwung (also near Sanur), I think placing it on the Bukit would be the least sensible.

All the existing major hospitals and important diagnostic services are in and around Denpasar. Denpasar and its surrounds have a much higher population which also means a larger base of existing patients, hence more variety of illnesses. The prime medical evacuation centres like BIMC and SOS are on the outskirts of Kuta - still more conveniently located to Denpasar's facilities than anything in Jimbaran.

Meanwhile, and IMHO, there are far too many grossly incompetent private doctors in practice. Maybe the "College of Bali Doctors", (if there is such a thing), should investigate them and look at ways to ensure their skills and qualifications are at least not health-hazards to their customers/patients. "Quality control", if you like, because there certainly doesn't seem to be much of it so far.

I hope that the various parties evaluating the "need for a training hospital" don't waste too much time and make up their minds soon. The article suggest they have two months. But, Galungan and Nyepi are not far off. I wouldn't be surprised if the "parties" pussy-foot around so long that they miss the deadline.

If the worst comes to the worst, perhaps Balinese officials could set up a training and accreditation centre for dukuns?

:cry:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Like in so many area's of employment, one has to pay to get in.Military, Police, government instututions(Dep.Agraria,Dep.Sosial,etcetc..) So I am not sure but I expect the same goes for an "trainee" doctors-spot at a Hospital. If the hospital would get the "official" name of a training facility for graduated people in Medicine, I think the hospital can apply for some kind of financial help from the government, and that would be a reason for the Governor to be reluctant in Approving such an Institution.
As far as "qualified" doctors, I have my doubts that every so called doctor actually really has graduated from the University...(this is Bali), same as some English teachers I know..who actually didnt graduate but bought their Drs. title, so in my thoughts for a little more money a Dr. title is also possible to buy.
Friendly greetings, Gilbert.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
JohnnyCool writes

I find that an incredibly naive statement from a person in his position.

Obviously, Pak Pastika has no clue about how the real medical profession operates (no pun intended), and somebody should take him to the woodshed for such an irresponsible statement… Large teaching hospitals attract top doctors who also enjoy teaching and passing their skills to students. These same students are attracted by the quality of the hospitals' permanent staff of doctors. It's no different than from a good graduate school's department in a given discipline: the better the teaching staff, the fiercest the competition for admission to its program, the better the quality of the students.

As for the patients being "laboratoty rabbits," aren't they always, in or out of these teaching hospitals? :roll: