no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
:icon_e_surprised: Joe I have not sent you an email calling you a bastard but I will do when I have a bit of spare time. Cheers from Sanur.:icon_e_surprised::icon_e_biggrin:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
To paraphrase Rumsfeld:

There are "truths" we know are true,
there are "truths" we think might be true and
there are "truths" we know are untrue for us but might be true for someone else (usually called "advice").

The least no.idea could do is invite you over for a drink...?

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Is any one interested in my monthly beer budget?
Shit, it would even scare me if I actually knew! I reckon it is somewhere between 12 and 16 million.

I would think closer to 16 -18 Million but who is counting:tongue:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
It's not an oxymoron, it's a tautologism. A sober expat could be classed an oxymoron.

I'm thinking...could a sober expat drinking in a bar in his 'homey' Kerobokan be described as an Oxymoronic Tautologist?

'Coz others just call him Davita!:cupcake:

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Tautolgist? Isn't that something to do with tightrope walking?

Looking at those beer budgets...guess youse guys don't get out much eh?

My Friday afternoons USED to be about three mill give or take a flagon or three, but that usually included pizza, chicken wings, a takeaway Ruby and a six pack 'Roadie' ...Baron Lager ...Special Brew on steroids...but there you go, that's when I could walk and work or even walk to work or even walk at work...work it out.

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
I was living around 3 000 000 idr for year or so ... then I got some money again ... and spent some more .. and nowdays I thing it is going to be again 3 000 000 idr !
So its doable !
And yea inflation is not normal ... that bread (Sari Roti) had stamped price 10 000 IDR not so long time ago ... and before 1 year jumped to 12 000IDR .. and nowdays I saw it 14 000 IDR ... Its easy for me .. I am bule .. but how the hell those java people and all other surviving this (ar will in few years from now) ... have no clue ...
I just look around me .. If they can why I should can not ...

For me If it is not cold ... and no one is bothering me .. I am happy ... back in eastern europe I have to come with 100eur monthly only to pay heating utility (not to freeze durning the winter) not to mention other "luxuries" ... so for me in here is ok :D And soon sallaries back there will be same like in SEA !

Sandy From England

Apr 24, 2014
I am on that downhill route... I retire in a few years and will live in Sanur, you sound great for a good few tips... I will keep an eye on your advice... Sandy from England

BoogeyWoman

Aug 29, 2010
3million rupiah a week is a big budget. you wont find any worries, food in bali is considered cheap compares to many places in Indonesia

Stephen

Aug 21, 2012
Wow...Interesting. blown away by how much it costs to live in Bali as compared to other places is Indo. We live in Bengkulu, sumatra and generally spend around rp1.5 jura - 2juta a week - 6-8juta($600-800 AUD, less with current exchange rate) a month.depending on how much beer I drink. Nice place we have came half furnished for 20juta. Basic cable tv package costs 90k a month, ADSL is the dearest thing we opted for the highest speed and pay 500k a month (aussie prices)
Eating warung food is generally 50-70k for 2 of us including a drink each??
Gonna hard coming to Bali for a holiday. Sounds like prices have really jumped up.

The other thing you have to factor in is your visa costs.

widder

Jul 16, 2007
Tulamben
www.chiliandgamalan.com
I live in Ubud (well, Peliatan) and I pay rp3.300.000 rent per month, rp342.000 per month for pay TV, and another rp3.000.000 per month on groceries for eating in, eating out, smokes, drinks, bits and pieces, transport.

prudentia

Oct 22, 2014
I think it is important to note that my happiness does not come from a profusion of gadgets (I have an iPhone 3GS and get strange looks from people ... but until Telkom bring in the 4G networks to Bali in January 2015, why upgrade?!).... I, too, have lived on a shoestring budget, and have never been happier ... kids, too, should be disciplined to understand that life is not about satisfying an endless ledger of artificial needs, but about being mentally in the right place: and no kid is natively in the right place: the "growing up" is not about the body distending, but the mind waking up to sharing and caring for others .... frugality is also good in seeing how few of the idols out there we really do need (forsooth: not a single one ...) ... so when more payola is around, the right attitude is hopefully also in place ... and one draws from the well of much deeper satisfactions than those who ceaselessly chase all the empty idols of the world .... :)

davita

Mar 13, 2012
[MENTION=18439]prudentia[/MENTION] #34...noted

Hallelujah brother...I gave up toothpaste and soap....see my avatar.:icon_wink:!

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
[MENTION=11670]davita[/MENTION] razors also or do you shave your legs ?:icon_rolleyes:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
#34 ... everyone should try to liberate their inner Herman Melville now and then

OK I'll bite:cupcake:...who is this Herman Melville? Does he live on a budget in Ubud and uses toothpaste and soap......and shave his legs like Smoke...also, what model of iphone he got:icon_question:

Thaiman

May 15, 2014
OK I'll bite:cupcake:...who is this Herman Melville? Does he live on a budget in Ubud and uses toothpaste and soap......and shave his legs like Smoke...also, what model of iphone he got:icon_question:

Doesnt anybody have health insurance? I pay over $3000.00 Oz a year.