A change may be a rest

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
It looks like my prayers have been answered. My President called me to the head office in the big city last week. As I arrived I was amazed at the green things I saw. What are these I asked a fellow traveller. Trees and grass he said. Ah yes I began to remember these things and I could feel the sand layers beginning to fall off me.

As I walked into his office the civilisation continued with plush carpets, leather chairs and the biggest desk you can imagine. Good morning sir says I. Salaam Aleikum says he. We goes through the ritual of shaking hands with a kiss on the right cheek followed by 3 kisses on the left.

In comes the cardomum coffee followed by tea with the how is your familys etc before getting down to business.

Jim he says (He was educated and brought up in England) I want some advice from you on several issues. No problem Fawwaz I says anything I can do to help I will (Very democratic conversation seeing has he is worth a conservative $100 Million). Business continues and a question and answer conversation on railways ensues. After an hour he asks me to prepare a power point presentation for the board. He then drops this bombshell on me.

Jim he says I want you to take on a new role for the company. What is that I ask. He replies that he is taking the company public and wants me to help them become more acceptable to western companies and become the Health, Safety Environmental adviser to the corparate group. In addition he wants to to take on the Quality Assurance portfolio. I have to write all the new procedures and form a team to implement them.

What does it mean for me? Well I get out of the desert into the city and into plush accommodation, a completely different lifestyle and Maria to beable to visit me several times a year.

A great challenge and one I should relish but the downside is that it will prolong my working life and do I want that. I am thinking so any advice is welcome. I still will be coming on my house buying trip next July but when will I live in them?