Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
0430hrs and the alarm wakes me before the roosters on the Christmas morning of 2015.
Teman saya Ibu Nyoman arrived with her family to pick me up soon after and we head off in a convoy of 2 cars toward the old Kingdom of Karangesem.
This is a day of celebration, offerings and reflection but not one born of the Christian calendar.
I had been invited to a couple of expat celebrations but it didn't feel quite right for me.
The Xmas morn's of yesteryear are gone. Kids jumping on the bed and begging to open the gifts and presents that awaited their joyful and frenzied unwrapping.
The fondest of memories. :) . They're not kids anymore.
Tradition.
It was a different celebration for me that day but same-sama, karena I was with friends and I was included by a family on a full moon pilgrimage of temples during the day before the night that bore that full moon.
5 temples we visited and Nyomans older sister is a priest and she made offerings at the various hallowed grounds on behalf of the family and friends.
I am not a religious man, in fact I have been known as a skeptic (?) of structured religion and this day didn't change my views in this regard.
I dressed appropriately for the day, I prayed and was blessed and cleansed with my friends and thought.........
What my Xmas day experience in Bali gave me was a connection. A connection to a place that I first visited over 30 years ago. A connection with friends at a deeper level and a connection made from mutual respect.
No tree, no Santa, no post lunch booze induced nap but somehow the day gave me a similar vibe of Xmas' past.
Eat, pray, love? Ummm, not quite.
It was a terrific Xmas, only not one that I have traditionally enjoyed and not because it was Xmas.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
0430hrs and the alarm wakes me before the roosters on the Christmas morning of 2015.
Teman saya Ibu Nyoman arrived with her family to pick me up soon after and we head off in a convoy of 2 cars toward the old Kingdom of Karangesem.
This is a day of celebration, offerings and reflection but not one born of the Christian calendar.
I had been invited to a couple of expat celebrations but it didn't feel quite right for me.
The Xmas morn's of yesteryear are gone. Kids jumping on the bed and begging to open the gifts and presents that awaited their joyful and frenzied unwrapping.
The fondest of memories. :) . They're not kids anymore.
Tradition.
It was a different celebration for me that day but same-sama, karena I was with friends and I was included by a family on a full moon pilgrimage of temples during the day before the night that bore that full moon.
5 temples we visited and Nyomans older sister is a priest and she made offerings at the various hallowed grounds on behalf of the family and friends.
I am not a religious man, in fact I have been known as a skeptic (?) of structured religion and this day didn't change my views in this regard.
I dressed appropriately for the day, I prayed and was blessed and cleansed with my friends and thought.........
What my Xmas day experience in Bali gave me was a connection. A connection to a place that I first visited over 30 years ago. A connection with friends at a deeper level and a connection made from mutual respect.
No tree, no Santa, no post lunch booze induced nap but somehow the day gave me a similar vibe of Xmas' past.
Eat, pray, love? Ummm, not quite.
It was a terrific Xmas, only not one that I have traditionally enjoyed and not because it was Xmas.

Nice story. I sometimes feel the expats take things for granted

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
That's one of the big reasons why deeply religious and conservative Bali appeals to all comers, you don't have to be even a little bit religious to enjoy their enjoyment of a wonderfully colorful ceremony.

It's been a couple of months since this atheist has been to a good ceremony - Steve your story has given me the push to go again.

Merry Full Moon

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
I never get a ticket if i want to go to Bali, when Xmas's has come early. I want to feel my xmas in Bali with my family or my friends, but... I cant-_-

096f256a83a199a4ce51475c96474c78f979b8b9566768d05e9e44771a819c0b.jpg