Books in English

lise

Nov 6, 2002
Thought I'd get some input from those of you living there. I keep hearing there is a lack of english books in Bali...I'm thinking of shipping a lot of books over to perhaps open a little book shop/book exchange. Is this something that would be of use? Are there any particular authors/genres that are hard to find there? Has anyone been able to order from Amazon with delivery to Bali?

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Hi, there are some shops here that have (used) books in many languages, commercially, here in Lovina, I don't think you have a chance..., But if you come, please take :

String quartets from Schubert, Shostakowitz, Mozart and Beethoven.

Songs from Barber, and other "late romantic" American composers.

Symphonies from Mahler and Bruckner.

I thought I could do without them, but.....

If expats here have some of the above, could I borrow, PLEASE

Py

Nov 11, 2002
Br. Basang Kasah, Bali
Books, what books?

Recently a very well travelled and well read friend commented that of all the places he has visited on this planet, Bali was by far the most difficult to find quality reading material. For some unfathomable reason, many who visit Bali read only Jackie Collins and Sydney Sheldon.

Amazon is an option and it does work. Where and how you recieve your parcels is important.

Sadly, my suitcases are always overwieght, the bulk of that contributed by Barnes and Noble and Border's.

There is an excellent Borders in Singapore where many friends make pilgramages with each visa run.

One definite avantage of reading down here is the fact that the great books get copied (aprox. Rp60,000) and passed on to all interested freinds thus enabling a healthy debate.

If your interests are local issue, ie. crafts, culture 'adat' et al. you will certainly find no shortage of material.

Bali bottom line: Less books, better actual reading experience.

Salamat "hammock time", Py

lise

Nov 6, 2002
I can send three boxes of books "book rate" from here (about 18USD) so I thought of loading up paperbacks from the used book stores here so there would be no shortage of quality reads for a while...If anyone has requests for certain authors, you're welcome to let me know.

Gloria

Nov 5, 2002
lise said:
Thought I'd get some input from those of you living there. I keep hearing there is a lack of english books in Bali...I'm thinking of shipping a lot of books over to perhaps open a little book shop/book exchange. Is this something that would be of use? Are there any particular authors/genres that are hard to find there? Has anyone been able to order from Amazon with delivery to Bali?
I have a biased attitude to anyone I know who wants to open a book shop...its a great idea,in my opinion, 2nd hand books fetch a very good price here and I,d gladly pay for any crossword books (especially code crackers) that anyone has....its a better remedy than Valium or such like to induce sleep in this old duck/goose. am totally addicted to them...Yes, books are great....do it.....G

Gloria

Nov 5, 2002
Books

Would love some medical books other than "Do it yourself bandaging" or the 1935 Edition of the Red cross Manual...please no more of those...or Bills and Moon....oh yes its Mills and Boon....cant read those types...get sakit to my stomach with syrupy love stories....you had better be careful posting about books coming to Bali ,you are likely to get booknapped by the members of this forum ,we,d do anything for a good read.....cant wait.