allobrogica

Jan 18, 2013
Hi guys,

Multi-part question: Suggestions on 3g modem + external antenna; Where to buy in Indo (what stores/online)...

Where do you buy your mobile/network tech stuff from when you can't find it in DPS. Specifically:

I'm trying to put together some Internet access that will use a 3G modem and external antenna. I've been searching various Indo websites for what I want but having difficulties finding everything. Any recommendations reputable businesses/websites to buy stuff like 3G antennas and related things. When I went to Rimo, they all said I'd need to buy via Jakarta/Surabaya/Yogya.

Regarding specific devices (in case anyone has recommendations): I'm looking for a gsm modem HSPA (at least 7mb down/5 mb up) that has an external antenna port, has wide compatibility with routers (to plug the modem into), and can push both the send/receive to the external antenna (apparently some of the Huawei devices only push the receive to the external antenna, send is still internal). Current device I'm thinking is the ZTE MF668 (or siblings). Probably want to stick to either ZTE, Huawei, or Sierra for best compatibility.

Need to buy the corresponding pigtail, plus external antenna.

Sites I've been searching so far include: alnect, jakartanotebook, bhinneka, waroengkom, rumahcom.., modemku. What other places should I be looking - online or offline (can have assistant call).

Trying to avoid buying outside Indo and shipping in (partly because I've never done before/additional expense).

Thanks much!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I have bought gear from Waroeng Komputer in Mangga Dua in Jakarta (http://www.waroengkom.com/) - one of the sites you mention - but they do not list the model you want.

A couple of times I have wanted things that are hard to find here and have got friends travelling from Aust to buy them by mail order then bring them. The gadget I have already go this way is a Netgear Push2TV HD. Another coming soon is an Addonics NAS 4.0 adapter. So some gadgets are hard to find here because there seems little interest in them in Indonesia, Singapore or Malaysia.