Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Just wondering if anyone has tried to improve their internet experience by using a mobile telephone signal booster.

In most of Europe and America to run a transmitter, which is what a signal booster effectively is, is illegal unless you have a license.

They take any available mobile signal (be it everso humble) and turn it into a proud wave.

My signal is destroyed by coconut palms. Could chop em all down but then it would look like Kansas - signal booster is a better option.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Yes, I think so...
I had a friend with a tour business & pub in Batam in the early 3G days, who stuck an aerial contraption thingie on the roof of his building and with some tweeking could pick up Singapore 3G signals.
What advantage would that be, I hear you ask?
Well, all of his customers were in Sg & he could advertise a local Sg land-line number to call, auto re-direct it to a Sg handphone number (the redirect service was about S$5/month) & receive the calls in Batam. Given that it was a Sg handphone incoming calls were also free.
This saving both himself and customers crippling IDD charges.
Ok, I don't suppose you'd be able to pick up Sg, but is that the sort of thing you mean, only (given the march of time & technology) with 3G internet added?
So I don't see why a similar contraption shouldn't work for you

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Just wondering if anyone has tried to improve their internet experience by using a mobile telephone signal booster.

In most of Europe and America to run a transmitter, which is what a signal booster effectively is, is illegal unless you have a license.

They take any available mobile signal (be it everso humble) and turn it into a proud wave.

My signal is destroyed by coconut palms. Could chop em all down but then it would look like Kansas - signal booster is a better option.
What is a 3G booster,and can it be obtained in Bali And where?

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
That seems a lot smaller & slicker that my Batam mate's version (think 20ft bloody big arial strapped to the roof of a 3 storey shophouse) the function sounds siilar.
BUT I noticed this in the specs:
"The MR Mini Dual Band Personal Repeater Kit is compatible with all European mobile phone carriers (except 3G) and effectively provides a strong and reliable phone signal in places with poor reception"

Depending on how much it costs it might be worthwhile giving it a shot

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Blinding Internet (Well, for Bali)

I'm the kinda guy that doesn't believe much that's written and nothing from marketing wonks.

BUY THIS PIECE OF KIT YESTERDAY!!!!

HUAWEI E5331 - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

Was looking (as the thread shows) to boost a shite signal for my internet but didn't want to plumb for vastly expensive kit in the UK (taking a pee is expensive there) so kind of settled for the Huawei for reasons other than the promised signal boosting such as sharing the shite connection that I have with my phone, pad, lappy, etc - there are now days more calls on an interenet connection than just a computer (eventually the trash can will email me when it needs emptying, I'm sure).

Anyway in the 3 days I've been back I am seriously blown away by this little peice of kit - I have honestly once gotten a download speak from the 60kIDR 1.2G "3" sim card of 565kbytes A FUCKING SECOND, NOT HOUR!!! I can skype, look at pictures, yes use the interenet like a normal human being (haven't tried skype with picture yet as would probably die if it worked, not the last impression you want to leave your contact with is it?). In the UK it cost £45 and was unlocked for any network.

Only downside I've seen so far is that mine seems to be set for 3G/4G only and when the 3G signal fades as it did once the Huawei won't find a connection. Having said that they are made with a variable setting from 2G, 3G and 4G but I guess they thought that 2G wasn't needed for the UK market - here you should be able to get one with the 2G or Auto option which would vary according to signal.

All you fellow sufferers on the internet trust your uncle Marky and rush out and buy one now.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
......eventually the trash can will email me when it needs emptying, I'm sure.

It will also check talk to the fridge & sus out your beer needs chilled in the not too near future.

Glad to hear you have a solution.

So where in the UK did you get it? Not a regular telephony store?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
...............Anyway in the 3 days I've been back I am seriously blown away by this little peice of kit - I have honestly once gotten a download speak from the 60kIDR 1.2G "3" sim card of 565kbytes A FUCKING SECOND, NOT HOUR!!! I can skype, look at pictures, yes use the interenet like a normal human being

You sound like someone who has just found 3G after a long time on 2G. Yes, the difference is like chalk and cheese.

But you started the thread looking for a "booster" to strengthen weak signals. This gadget is not a booster. What it is doing is connecting to a 3G newtork, and providing a wireless hotspot on the strength of that connection.

Why this gadget can connect 3G when your previous gadgets have only acheived 2G maybe remains a mystery. Maybe, just maybe, your network provider has recently upgraded the cell tower you connect to so that it now does 3G.

I'm not trying to put down Huawei - I love my Huawei phone which can provide a hotspot just like the E5331. But I doubt the Huawei E5331 is a miraculous cure for all the Bali people suffering with poor Internet connectivity.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
...............Anyway in the 3 days I've been back I am seriously blown away by this little peice of kit - I have honestly once gotten a download speak from the 60kIDR 1.2G "3" sim card of 565kbytes A FUCKING SECOND, NOT HOUR!!! I can skype, look at pictures, yes use the interenet like a normal human being

You sound like someone who has just found 3G after a long time on 2G. Yes, the difference is like chalk and cheese.

But you started the thread looking for a "booster" to strengthen weak signals. This gadget is not a booster. What it is doing is connecting to a 3G newtork, and providing a wireless hotspot on the strength of that connection.

Why this gadget can connect 3G when your previous gadgets have only acheived 2G maybe remains a mystery. Maybe, just maybe, your network provider has recently upgraded the cell tower you connect to so that it now does 3G.

I'm not trying to put down Huawei - I love my Huawei phone which can provide a hotspot just like the E5331. But I doubt the Huawei E5331 is a miraculous cure for all the Bali people suffering with poor Internet connectivity.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ron when the reception is shite it goes as 2G even on a 3G network it has been explained to me, hence the problem with good and bad reception and 2 and 3G. For instance I live in a coconut orchard - even if you are in a direct line of sight with the next telephone tower the reflection of the same signals from all the trees will screw up your reception big time. The Huawei simply has more of it's size devoted to antenna than any dongle or "normal" modem going- again, I am told.

I have 2 previous gadgets both valid for 3G networks, a dongle and a larger modem that hides in the eaves of the house - both have had poor to no connection for as long as I can remember on several different networks (Telekom and 3). Both using the 1.2G data plan. I had both running at the same time - the Huawei and the one hidden in the eaves of the house. Both showed the same loss of connection at the same time - in the case of the house modem (also on 3) the data rate fell off drastically and in the case of the H it lost connection completely - showed full bars i.e. connection was there but 2G. The eave modem was designed to fluctuate to keep contact but with the H it wasn't thought necessary in England as most of the country is now going 4G so 2G is out of the question.

I don't know if this thing is the answer but it will sure do me until the answer comes along - perhaps the thing will show it's evil nature down the line somewhere - if it does I'll report.

Got it on Amazon where the reviews are all equally gushing. Where you can get it here? Probably Denpasar if you're lucky. I'm wondering what "3" will do about it because this thing sucks data out of them faster than they contract to.

I'm in love - at least for tonight.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Got it on Amazon where the reviews are all equally gushing. Where you can get it here? Probably Denpasar if you're lucky. I'm wondering what "3" will do about it because this thing sucks data out of them faster than they contract to.

Waroeng Komputer does not have the E5331 - so my guess is it will not be easy to find in Denpasar. But they do have a Huawei E560 at Rp660,000 which seems to be a similar gadget. Googling the E560 shows that it is only sold in Asia - the ways of these marketing people in companies like Huawei are mysterious.

Don't worry about 3 - they structure their plans so that they never lose.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ron you are such a nice man! There should be more like you around.

I'm not "worried" about 3 losing money, I'm worried about 3 getting onto me getting more than I am allowed. And pulling the plug. Here some pictures to chew on... Before 4mb download and after - went at about 120k/sec. Explanations welcome.

system shot1.JPGsystem shot2.JPG
I have also heard that the kit you mention is equally good but the 5331 is the newest model so can't vouch for that one.

Anbar

Sep 10, 2012
To Hell with the techie stuff!!!

Did the CHEESE make it back safely ????????????:icon_e_biggrin:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Haha that, obviously, went without saying. I swear I gained 4 kilos for my 3 weeks in cold, miserable old, November England. There isn't anything to do but eat, drink and bitch about the weather and politics.

The housing there is so bad a candle by a closed window gets blown out.

Sick of cheese now, was actually looking forward to my first Nasi Goreng.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Ok, being presently in Seattle I was able to purchase an E5331 from Amazon, and hopefully have it from Hong Kong before my return flt. to Bali Jan.6th.
My situation in Bali is similar with many tall coco palms, but in addition a Neanderthal approach to techie gadgets. My present cellphone is a an unlocked quad phone w/o a TV, camera, can opener, and flush toilet as I firmly believe in the un-necessity of all that crap combined with a phone.
However this reluctance for additional gadgetry leaves me with few choices of purchase here in acquiring something basic in unlocked quad phones and the present phone is a cheapie of dubious ancestry with an access range about equal to the distance I can spit with a strong following wind. Thus with all these limitations can you also recommend a new cellphone (unlocked quad type) for a male with fingers the size of dill pickles? It would be advisable to purchase here but have limited options as all the big box stores have standard locked phones.
Thanks for the help.
Don

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Get yourself an (new and unlocked) Iphone 3G or 3GS - is cheap now that they are up to Iphone 5 and has all the goodies that make life easier without the BS, such as music player (get some good in-ear earphones too -on Bali they are all shite or expensive or both), blue tooth to run your music to some speakers (get a BTR006 to plug into the speaker input, sends the blue tooth music from your Iphone to them - cheap and good), email, sms, online maps, etc. etc.

Oh and bring some cheese too.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Oh Don - the Iphone 3 and 3Gs can be unlocked here if you can't buy one unlocked stateside (costs about 200k) - I will take you by the hand (figuratively) to show you who and how.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
I am just using the standard smart modem , and it has a tear away red plastic tab on the side , that when removed - exposes a mini plug so you can connect an external antenna to improve signal pickup .

I did this and my connection was improved greatly considering there is a huge hill between me and the tower (which is miles away ) the antenna with cables and pigtail plug (to connect to modem) cost rp300,000 from a computer supplier in surabaya (I forget where exactly, as it was over a year ago ) including postage ..., and in australia , "thieving" telstra sells the same thing for $160 (what a joke ) but with telstras antenna , the quality is not as good as the one i bought from surabaya .

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
By "standard smart modem" do you mean these USB dongles that everyone here sells? I just looked at an older one that I have (Huawei 169) and surprise, surprise there seems to be a hole for an antenna in it so as I will pick up one of those antennas and use it as a standby. The Huawei 5331 is a MIfi - a mobile wifi hotpoint so you can also run your other internet devises on it at the same time - fridge, vibrator, mobile phone, etc.