kabouter

Feb 16, 2011
Looking to buy a new scooter, figured a Vario is probably the best choice, but now doubting between the 125cc and 150cc.

What are your opinions is the 150cc worth the 3jt extra? Right now I have a very old vario 125cc rental bike without the idling stop system. I mostly use it for driving down the crowded roads of canggu/seminyak, but occasionally drive up north or down busy sunset road.

Oh and of course the salesman said the 150cc is better and worth the 3jt extra ;).

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Go for the Yamaha NMAX 150 with ABS - comfortable as they get and with enough UMpaH! to smooth around those assholes on the road with no strain and the ABS is there when it doesn't quite work out how you thought... price was 28.5J

kabouter

Feb 16, 2011
But it looks so big and I already have issues getting through traffic jams with the vario. On top of that I'm afraid it makes me looks like a rich foreigner and I will have to stop for the police even more :).

Elvisisintheroom

Aug 5, 2015
If the bike is big and bulky I suppose its needs the extra cc.
There are alternatives to a Vario.

We have a 135cc Yamaha Jupiter MX which has been a great bike. Yamaha now make a 150cc version called the MX king 150, its the same size and approx weight of smaller bikes but a bigger cc, I think this would be a great choice. A 125cc Yamaha Jupiter Z should be more than enough though and cheaper but if its only 3 juta I would upgrade.

I personally prefer the "sepeda bebek" or "moped" style like the Jupiter MX, Vega, Honda supra etc, The motor is mid mounted not rear like a Vario. the centre of balance is better for handling and has larger diameter wheels than the Vario style of bike. Honda also make the Supra X which is a great bike. Any extra cc won't go astray.

All bule are filthy rich apparently, so It won't make much difference.

Last edited:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
We have a 135cc Yamaha Jupiter MX which has been a great bike. Yamaha now make a 150cc version called the MX king 150, its the same size and approx weight of smaller bikes but a bigger cc, I think this would be a great choice.

I couldn't agree more. I had a 2011 Jupiter MX that I learnt to ride a manuel bike and I loved it. The extra 10ccs are significant and I love the control of the manuel compared to an automatic. Not to mention they are cool looking bikes compared to the varios.

Last year in May I got the 2015 MX king 150 and I love it. So much fun to ride. Great acceleration. Since I live in Legian I would never want a "big bike". So since it is basically the same size as the varios ect you blend in nicely.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
It depends on were you ride, auto's are good for normal-heavy traffic, manuals are good for open roads and racing:devilish:. I find the varios great for shopping, carting tools, water, suitcase to the airport and one hand when holding things. The scorpio Z is great for long trips, going up and down through the gears, takes you back to the old days. Yamaha have owned Mio 110cc, V-ixion and the Scorpio Z. Honda Beat, Varios
The Yamaha Scorpio I still own has been a good bike, brought in 2007 in Bali(Rp23,000,000) and just had plate changed to Surabaya(that was a big job).
Have done some work for the local honda dealer and when i wanted to update the Mio they were better to deal with than Yamaha. I picked up a Varios with the lot, good monthly payments and full insurance, a year later we done a deal to trade the Mio and inlaws Revo for Beat 110cc and Varios 110cc good repayments and insurance, (the father inlaw need 3 wheels) to many dings. I have finished paying for the Varios and was thinking of updating to the 150cc, but the bike is no bigger, just the engine and my knees were getting in the way of the handle bars. Still waiting to test ride the NMAX150.

hecta

Sep 22, 2013
I have a Vario 150 which is perfect for getting over the windy hill to Entrop and then on to Jayapura, with the missus on the back. My 2cents.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I think us big-assed Bule look like septic boils on a pigs butt zinging around on those little itty bitty scooters.

You need a large, manly 150cc NMAX scooter to look like a real fool, like I do.

kabouter

Feb 16, 2011
Haha I'm not that big of a bule :). So I went with the 150cc vario (even though they look far from cool), one day I'd also like to try driving a manual bike, but for now it is probably safer for everyone if I stick to an automatic.

Thanks for the advice guys.