Whats going on with tourists in Bali

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Dos and don'ts issued with some new "rules"; see red font.

I do not understand why the use of Indonesian QR code is a "Do" for tourists (Do 6).

Other that that seems to a lot of rules impossible for tourists to manage. How do they know if a tour guide is licensed, what is a licensed money changer, if an outfit is approved for motorbike rental or if an rental accommodation has all the required permits? Why is this not something the authorities can patrol tourist areas and take care of?

Foreigners are also responsible to respect regulations the locals are not taking seriously like; ban on single use plastic, follow traffic and driving "rules", not littering etc. Do as I say not as I do.

Finally (Don'ts 6) it appears they will now go after foreigners with the UU ITE law regarding online posts. A draconian law that is used to prosecute people for mere insults here. So it time to clam up I guess.

Dos

1. Respect the sanctity of temples, pratimas (sacred statues), and religious symbols;
  2. Wholeheartedly respect the customs, traditions, arts, culture, and local wisdom of the Balinese people during ongoing ceremonial processions and rituals;
  3. Dress modestly, appropriately, and respectfully when visiting sacred areas, tourist attractions, public places, and engaging in activities in Bali;
  4. Behave politely in sacred areas, tourist areas, restaurants, shopping areas, roads, and other public places;
  5. Be accompanied by licensed tour guides (who understand the natural conditions, customs, traditions, and local wisdom of the Balinese people) when visiting tourist attractions;
  6. Exchange foreign currency at authorized money changers (both banks and non-banks) that are officially licensed and display the authorization number and QR code logo from Bank Indonesia;
  7. Make payments using the Indonesian Standard QR Code (QRIS);
  8. Conduct transactions using the Indonesian rupiah;
  9. Comply with the applicable traffic laws in Indonesia, including possessing a valid international or national driving license, obey traffic rules, dress modestly, wear a helmet, follow traffic signs, not exceed passenger capacity, and no driving under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs;
  10. Use four-wheeled transportation that is roadworthy and officially registered or two-wheeled transportation that is operated by a legal business entity or association for two-wheeler rentals;
  11. Stay in accommodations that possess the required permits according to applicable regulations;
  12. Adhere to all specific provisions/rules that apply to each tourist attraction and tourist activity.
Don’ts

1. Trespass sacred territories: Steer clear of utamaning mandala and madyaning mandala, holy and sanctified spots like puras and pelinggihs — unless you’re there for a Balinese traditional ceremony, during which you must wear the appropriate attire, and you’re not menstruating;
  2. Touch sacred trees;
  3. Engage in behavior that defiles sacred places, temples, idols, and religious symbols, such as climbing sacred structures and taking indecent or nude photos;
  4. Litter and pollute lakes, springs, rivers, seas, and public areas;
  5. Use single-use plastics like plastic bags, polystyrene (styrofoam), and plastic straws;
  6. Utter offensive words, behave disrespectfully, cause disturbances, and act aggressively towards government authorities, local communities, and fellow tourists, both directly and indirectly through social media, including spreading hate speech and hoaxes;
  7. Engage in work or business activities without proper documentation issued by the relevant authorities;
  8. Get involved in illegal activities, such as trading illegal goods, including endangered flora and fauna, cultural artifacts, and sacred objects, as well as illegal drugs.

Last edited:

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Dos and don'ts issued with some new "rules"; see red font.

These "rules" should come in a Bahasa Indonesian version distributed to all visitors arriving via domestic terminal and ferries. Some of the "rules" could be useful as a reminder for the locals as well.

I do not understand why the use of Indonesian QR code is a "Do" for tourists. We all know how personal data security is here with massive leaks from e.g. Tokopedia and 5 other major leaks since around 2020.

Dos

1. Respect the sanctity of temples, pratimas (sacred statues), and religious symbols;
  2. Wholeheartedly respect the customs, traditions, arts, culture, and local wisdom of the Balinese people during ongoing ceremonial processions and rituals;
  3. Dress modestly, appropriately, and respectfully when visiting sacred areas, tourist attractions, public places, and engaging in activities in Bali;
  4. Behave politely in sacred areas, tourist areas, restaurants, shopping areas, roads, and other public places;
  5. Be accompanied by licensed tour guides (who understand the natural conditions, customs, traditions, and local wisdom of the Balinese people) when visiting tourist attractions;
  6. Exchange foreign currency at authorized money changers (both banks and non-banks) that are officially licensed and display the authorization number and QR code logo from Bank Indonesia;
  7. Make payments using the Indonesian Standard QR Code (QRIS);
  8. Conduct transactions using the Indonesian rupiah;
  9. Comply with the applicable traffic laws in Indonesia, including possessing a valid international or national driving license, obey traffic rules, dress modestly, wear a helmet, follow traffic signs, not exceed passenger capacity, and no driving under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs;
  10. Use four-wheeled transportation that is roadworthy and officially registered or two-wheeled transportation that is operated by a legal business entity or association for two-wheeler rentals;
  11. Stay in accommodations that possess the required permits according to applicable regulations;
  12. Adhere to all specific provisions/rules that apply to each tourist attraction and tourist activity.
Don’ts

1. Trespass sacred territories: Steer clear of utamaning mandala and madyaning mandala, holy and sanctified spots like puras and pelinggihs — unless you’re there for a Balinese traditional ceremony, during which you must wear the appropriate attire, and you’re not menstruating;
  2. Touch sacred trees;
  3. Engage in behavior that defiles sacred places, temples, idols, and religious symbols, such as climbing sacred structures and taking indecent or nude photos;
  4. Litter and pollute lakes, springs, rivers, seas, and public areas;
  5. Use single-use plastics like plastic bags, polystyrene (styrofoam), and plastic straws;
  6. Utter offensive words, behave disrespectfully, cause disturbances, and act aggressively towards government authorities, local communities, and fellow tourists, both directly and indirectly through social media, including spreading hate speech and hoaxes;
  7. Engage in work or business activities without proper documentation issued by the relevant authorities;
  8. Get involved in illegal activities, such as trading illegal goods, including endangered flora and fauna, cultural artifacts, and sacred objects, as well as illegal drugs.
This is such bullshit you need rubber boots up to your knees. Get a grip and see how the local people treat their own land. They throw plastic everywhere like it's a banana leaf. They are so jealous of each other they won't help out someone in need, because they might lose some money.So stop your ranting on the tourist and open your eyes to the real Bali.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Badung Bupati (Regent) is chiming in with some groundbreaking observations; "Regent said that it was wrong [for foreigners] to dispose of garbage, and strict action would be taken. Many foreigners ride motorbikes recklessly. Not even wearing a helmet."

There is no limit to lack of self awareness. I look out my window here in a local area; They use the subak (or drain) for garbage disposal. Use of helmet is an option. Not to mention all other rule and law breaking done without fear as police is never to be seen. They can keep telling tourists to respect the rules and laws, but eventually the tourists will just go with the flow and adapt to the local way of doing things.

• Haha
Reactions: YachtRock

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Well hello! It'
Badung Bupati (Regent) is chiming in with some groundbreaking observations; "Regent said that it was wrong [for foreigners] to dispose of garbage, and strict action would be taken. Many foreigners ride motorbikes recklessly. Not even wearing a helmet."

There is no limit to lack of self awareness. I look out my window here in a local area; They use the subak (or drain) for garbage disposal. Use of helmet is an option. Not to mention all other rule and law breaking done without fear as police is never to be seen. They can keep telling tourists to respect the rules and laws, but eventually the tourists will just go with the flow and adapt to the local way of doing tthi

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Well Hello, It's time everyone wake up and see the real reality of what is going on. I have seen the locals drive at night with no lights, or driving for kilometers with the left turn signal on and turn right. The truth of the situation is we are we are considered as just walking ATM's . The locals can pollute all they want without a blink of an eye, but they say we pollute. Have you looked at the streams and rivers full of of rubbish. That is from the locals. Hopefully someday this will change. Peace

Reactions: Balifrog

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I suggest you all just relax and enjoy the multifaceted society that is Indonesia.

This chaos that is happening now (regulations) is nothing new and for the oldsters here is fairly amusing.
I've been here now for almost 15 years and cannot count how many silly, dangerous, daft, insane and ridiculous "regulations" have been posited.

None of which have actually happened.

I suspect it has much more to do with internal Indonesian politicians and politics than actually law making.

Shout out some new law or regulation in the news and make a big deal out of it (and if it only has to do with foreigners than nobody cares anyway) BUT you've appeared in the world press.

Hear about the 2nd Home Visa? Less than 20 "sold" I suspect closer to 2.

New Idea: Golden Visa -same shit, different day.

Relax, drink more beer and enjoy the turbulence of those that just got here.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
I suggest you all just relax and enjoy the multifaceted society that is Indonesia.

This chaos that is happening now (regulations) is nothing new and for the oldsters here is fairly amusing.
I've been here now for almost 15 years and cannot count how many silly, dangerous, daft, insane and ridiculous "regulations" have been posited.

None of which have actually happened.

I suspect it has much more to do with internal Indonesian politicians and politics than actually law making.

Shout out some new law or regulation in the news and make a big deal out of it (and if it only has to do with foreigners than nobody cares anyway) BUT you've appeared in the world press.

Hear about the 2nd Home Visa? Less than 20 "sold" I suspect closer to 2.

New Idea: Golden Visa -same shit, different day.

Relax, drink more beer and enjoy the turbulence of those that just got here.
Excellent Idea! I'm with you. Chill out and hang on for the ride.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
One of the reasons I like working in "developping" countries most of my life, and I now retired here is that I love this organized chaos.
Ok, sometimes it's a pain, but think about it, for your retirement would you prefer to live in SGP where everything is perfectly organized and regulated ?
Not even to speak about the financial aspect....

The good governor has gone a bit in overdrive mode lately, but like everything it will pass.

And the main objective has been atteint : everybody is speaking about the problems, so somewhere there may be some improvements.

Reactions: sakumabali

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Living in the suburbs in Australia away from a main road is like living in a cemetery. Few people walk around and none of the roaming, street vendors, warungs or tiny business activities which are part of life in most Asian countries. And in the evening after the sun goes down there is nothing to compare to the liveliness of markets and bright lights opening up in all kinds of places. There is transformation in some cities such as London where the sheer number of immigrants has seen some of that variety and spark but generally, the suburbs of western cities, as I say, are like cemeteries.

Reactions: Adam and Fred2

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Living in the suburbs in Australia away from a main road is like living in a cemetery. Few people walk around and none of the roaming, street vendors, warungs or tiny business activities which are part of life in most Asian countries. And in the evening after the sun goes down there is nothing to compare to the liveliness of markets and bright lights opening up in all kinds of places. There is transformation in some cities such as London where the sheer number of immigrants has seen some of that variety and spark but generally, the suburbs of western cities, as I say, are like cemeteries.
That's because they were designed to be dead zones. It's the same in Amerika. No parks, everyone jealous of each other, no community helping each other with a community garden. The west has been designed this way by the rich and greedy a..holes that control the goverments, city planning, roads, all you hear from the local and federal governments is just a bunch of bullshit because they are filling their pockets from the corrupt crperations that only want to pilfer all the resources for greed now. Sad because there is no love for future generations to come. Humans are the worse virus on this planet. The poor and uneducated breed like rabbits and make more and more stupid people to work like slaves for the rich. I see now the rent is getting so high that even doctors have to sleeo in homless camps. Unbelievable! Many of the homeless are not drugs addicts, just people that have been pushed to the limits by greedy landlords. I say get out of the cities and move to the country and grow your own community and gardens. Peace

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Unfortunately the enormous increases in rentals is not just confined to the cities. Hardly a town in Australia where the prices are not on a par with city rental prices. And a friend living in Pagosa Springs - Colorado, population less than 2000, described similar rental hikes there.

Reactions: Padangbai Dennis

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Unfortunately the enormous increases in rentals is not just confined to the cities. Hardly a town in Australia where the prices are not on a par with city rental prices. And a friend living in Pagosa Springs - Colorado, population less than 2000, described similar rental hikes there.
I will never understand how a country the size of Oz with that low a population can have anything like high rents or house prices. FFS it has the 2nd lowest population per land size of all counties on Earth, only behind Mongolia.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I will never understand how a country the size of Oz with that low a population can have anything like high rents or house prices. FFS it has the 2nd lowest population per land size of all counties on Earth, only behind Mongolia.
Vast parts of the country being uninhabitable ? (Like Mongolia or Siberia)

Last edited:

harryopal

May 5, 2016
As Balifrog says, vast areas uninhabitable areas. Actually reckoned at about 90%. The coastal areas mostly towards the south have about 80% of the population with 70% of the population living in the capital cities. Theoretically there is still penty of room for housing but historically, since first European settlement, the useful land was seen as valuable and allotted by the rulers to the monied members of the community. Profit opportunites in development has driven most of the housing constructions. Various governments have set up housing and building programs but always lagging well behind the overall needs. Conservative governments allowed people with extra wealth to get major tax concessions buying up houses and Since the 1980's this has led to enormous increases in the value of houses and rents. Labor governments have been too frightened of losing the middle class vote if they removed tax advantages although the relatively new, Federal Labor government has been considering taxes for mutliple home ownership. Meanwhile, inflation rates across the spectrum of the cost of living and ever increasing rental costs has led to a surge in homelessness and people being unable to afford the standard of accommodation to which they became accustomed. There is an ongoing economic crisis which governments have yet to really appreciate just how serious this has become and will continue to hammer more and more people into poverty.
1685929898196.png

Reactions: Balifrog

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
How about a good old fashioned stoning? I'll have 2 flats,a round and a bag of gravel

• Haha
Reactions: Fred2

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thought I'd ask SkyNet - (ChatGPT 4)

Please compare the fertility of Israel with Australian areas having the same levels of rainfall

Comparing the fertility of Israel with specific areas in Australia that have similar levels of rainfall requires considering various factors. Fertility in agriculture depends on more than just rainfall, including soil quality, temperature, irrigation practices, and crop selection. However, I can provide you with a general overview of the agricultural situations in Israel and some regions in Australia with comparable rainfall levels.
  1. Israel: Israel is known for its advanced agricultural practices and innovative technologies that allow it to thrive despite limited water resources. Although Israel has a predominantly arid or semi-arid climate, it has successfully transformed large areas of desert into productive farmland through extensive irrigation and water management systems. The country relies on advanced drip irrigation techniques, desalination of seawater, and wastewater treatment for agricultural purposes. These practices have enabled Israel to grow a wide range of crops, including fruits, vegetables, and flowers, and become a major exporter of agricultural products.
  2. Australia: Australia is a vast country with diverse climates, and rainfall patterns can vary significantly between different regions. While there are arid areas, there are also regions that receive sufficient rainfall for agriculture. Here are a couple of examples of Australian areas that experience similar levels of rainfall to some parts of Israel:
  • Margaret River region, Western Australia: The Margaret River region in Western Australia has a Mediterranean climate, similar to parts of Israel. It receives around 800-1,000 millimeters of rainfall annually, which is comparable to some areas in Israel. This region is known for its vineyards and wine production, as well as other crops such as olives, fruits, and vegetables.
  • Adelaide Hills, South Australia: The Adelaide Hills region has a climate classified as Mediterranean, with rainfall averaging around 600-800 millimeters per year. It experiences wet winters and warm, dry summers, which are characteristic of Mediterranean climates. Agriculture in this region includes vineyards, orchards, and vegetable farming.
It's important to note that even though these Australian regions may receive similar levels of rainfall, the specific agricultural practices, soil conditions, and crop varieties may differ from those in Israel. Each region has its own unique characteristics and challenges when it comes to fertility and agricultural productivity.
Overall, while Israel has developed advanced techniques to overcome its water scarcity and has become highly productive in agriculture, Australia also has regions with comparable rainfall levels that support successful agricultural activities. However, the fertility and productivity of specific crops would depend on various local factors beyond rainfall alone.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It gets better (I was right :) ) I then asked to compare only the arid parts of each country.

Certainly! When comparing the arid areas of Israel with similar regions in Australia, such as the Outback or parts of the Great Sandy Desert, there are several factors to consider:
  1. Rainfall patterns: Both Israel and arid regions of Australia experience low and erratic rainfall. Israel's Negev Desert, for example, receives an average annual rainfall of around 100-200 millimeters. Similarly, many parts of the Australian Outback receive less than 250 millimeters of rainfall per year.
  2. Water management: Israel has developed advanced water management techniques to cope with its arid conditions. These include drip irrigation, desalination, and wastewater recycling. These practices allow for efficient water use and enable agricultural production even in areas with limited rainfall. In contrast, arid regions of Australia often face water scarcity and rely on water conservation methods, such as water catchment systems or underground water sources, for agricultural purposes.
  3. Crop selection: In Israel's arid areas, crop selection is crucial for optimizing agricultural productivity. Certain crops, such as drought-tolerant varieties of fruits, vegetables, and grains, are cultivated in these regions. Some examples include dates, olives, citrus fruits, and various desert-adapted crops. Similarly, in Australia's arid regions, farmers often focus on drought-tolerant crops, such as sorghum, chickpeas, and native Australian bush foods.
  4. Grazing and livestock: In both Israel and arid regions of Australia, livestock grazing is practiced, although the specific types of livestock may differ. In Israel, sheep and goats are commonly raised in the arid regions, while in Australia, cattle and sheep farming are more prevalent.
It is worth noting that Israel has invested significantly in research and development to optimize agricultural practices in arid environments, which has led to high productivity and agricultural innovation. Australia, on the other hand, has vast arid regions with varying levels of agricultural development and productivity.
Overall, while both Israel and arid areas of Australia face similar challenges in terms of low rainfall and aridity, Israel's advanced agricultural techniques and research have enabled it to achieve greater agricultural productivity in its arid regions compared to some arid regions in Australia.

Reactions: YachtRock

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Personally not having clue one about either parts of both countries would appreciate confirmation or not of the theory at least from those in the know?