Home made wine

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Like so many in Bali, I am retired. I have a hobby of making wine from local produce - nothing is imported at all. Since I started making these wines, my circle of friends seems to have grown...and grown... I'm sure that there cannot be a connection! At the moment, I have wines made from frangipani flowers, rosella, tamarillo, buni, carrot and ginger (yes, I know it sounds weird but it actually tastes good), mulberry and salak - the latter is not ready yet. I restrict the alcohol content to between 11-5 - 13.5%.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi MikeG...I hope you are aware that they grow lots of grapes around Lovina. A friend of mine used to ship boxes of them back to Jakarta where he also made delicious wine in his cellar.

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Hi MikeG...I hope you are aware that they grow lots of grapes around Lovina. A friend of mine used to ship boxes of them back to Jakarta where he also made delicious wine in his cellar.
Hi, Davita. Thanks - yes, I do know about that but was advised by one of the professional wine makers that too much insecticide was used - he advised not to make wine from them, hence I never have. I enjoy making it from less usual ingredients, as well.

Harry08

Dec 5, 2017
Sounds interesting. I hope you do not mind if I PM you when I get there.

BTW, if you know someone who makes good beer, let me know.
I am not looking for over-hopped hipster brew. God British style bitter or low ABV stout will be awesome.

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar

I am not looking for over-hopped hipster brew. God British style bitter or low ABV stout will be awesome.
Sure, contact me. No, I don't know of anyone making beer - sorry........

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Any chance you are selling your homemade concoctions? I'm always on the search for new wine :)

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
I live in Denpasar Timur, just off the Bypass, between Sanur and Ubud. Come and try some. 0816868459
Sounds good to me. I live in Ubud so next time I'm in the area I'd love to swing by and give them a taste. Thanks for the offer

Harry08

Dec 5, 2017
There is a good and easy to make ginger beer recipe posted here.

Thanks. BTW, hen I say beer, I mean ale :)
BTW, if any of you are up to making real ale. Perhaps I can bring over few packs of real ale yeast. Transporting liquid yeast in tropics will not end well.

To make good wine or ale, you need proper temperature for the yeast or in other words, for the fermentation.
Best way I know how to achieve perfect temperature control is using a old fridge and https://www.brewpi.com/

Cheers!

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Thanks. BTW, hen I say beer, I mean ale :)
BTW, if any of you are up to making real ale. Perhaps I can bring over few packs of real ale yeast. Transporting liquid yeast in tropics will not end well.

To make good wine or ale, you need proper temperature for the yeast or in other words, for the fermentation.
Best way I know how to achieve perfect temperature control is using a old fridge and https://www.brewpi.com/

Cheers!

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Check out this website for yeasts, etc - https://www.tokopedia.com/javabrewcraftco.
I have been making wines at home, here in Indonesia - Jakarta and now in Bali - for over 20 years. For what it is worth, many people tell me that the quality is better than Hatten's..........and mine is fermented outside, with the fermenting vessels alongside the back of my house - perhaps benefitting from a little shade. I don't ever bother with temperature control, but it is said to be beneficial to the end product.

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar

Sounds good to me. I live in Ubud so next time I'm in the area I'd love to swing by and give them a taste. Thanks for the offer
My offer is still open. Come visit! I'm drinking a very pleasant salak (snakeskin fruit) wine at the moment!

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Any chance you are selling your homemade concoctions? I'm always on the search for new wine :)
Hi, Jack. As I don't have a licence I am not permitted to sell it. However, if you would like to taste it, come see me - I enjoy meeting new people and having a sip or two with them. Send me a private message wth your WhatsApp and we can take it from there. I live at KESIMAN - search it on your handphone. Friends who buy their wine tell me that mine is better than Hattens, Aga, Sabaya....amongst the best whites made in Bali.

Last edited:

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Friends who buy their wine tell me that mine is better than Hattens, Aga, Sabaya....amongst the best whites made in Bali.

I took Mike up on an offer to meet him and try his wines. I was looking at starting wine making now I have a little more time on my hands .

The wines were exceptional. As they were not grape based the taste was unlike my usual Shiraz back in Adelaide but nice, very nice. For those who are contemplating either making or drinking home made wine I can honestly say that the process Mike uses is scientific, safe but thankfully for me fairly simple. My first batch of Snake skin wine is busy fermenting and I look forward to trying it and comparing to Mike's.

Reactions: MikeG

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
I took Mike up on an offer to meet him and try his wines. I was looking at starting wine making now I have a little more time on my hands .

The wines were exceptional. As they were not grape based the taste was unlike my usual Shiraz back in Adelaide but nice, very nice. For those who are contemplating either making or drinking home made wine I can honestly say that the process Mike uses is scientific, safe but thankfully for me fairly simple. My first batch of Snake skin wine is busy fermenting and I look forward to trying it and comparing to Mike's.

Thank you, Peter, and I'm pleased that you enjoyed them and, what's more, you are now following the same system that I use.
Most people think that my mango wine is the best of the lot, and I'll have a few more bottles of it ready for drinking about 1 April, if anybody would like to follow Peter's example and try it. Of course, there are a number of other wines sitting there, waiting to be drunk, including a very nice red, made from buni berries.