worrying times around mt agung

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Animals are coming down the mountain now apparently, which also happened in 1963.

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/agung-watch-2017-monkeys-snakes-seen-coming-bali-volcano/

I think our friends around agung and in the east must be concerned by events nearby .Even though the alert level nor the exclusion zone has been increased, the tremors are increasing daily. There are now reportedly over 500 small tremors per day around the volcano, with a few being more forceful. BNPB (Badan Nasional Penanggulangan Bencana) reports that magma flows are now only 5 km below the surface, and are pushing up towards the surface, and that eruption is now very likely. (link in Indonesian)

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Yes and just 5 days ago the number of tremors was very low. The graph seems to show a rapid increase that has not peaked yet. Hang on to your hats!

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
It's gonna happen folks. Given modern communications and transportation (few motorbikes and no cell phones in 1963), there will hopefully be no loss of life.

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
People here call them tremors, I used to call them small earthquakes, since a few days ago, maybe 2 or 3 days ago I have been feeling some of them quite often but very small and really short ones, this morning I have already feel more than 2 and the last one was "stronger" than the last ones, half of my house is made from wood so probably I feel them more than other people around, uhhhhhhhh starting to be scary

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
Could happen a volcan eruption at the same time than an earthquake? are these tremors or small earthquakes we are feeling that far from Agung related to what is going on on the volcan or the underground of Agung?

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
sorry for your situation , how far are you away from agung ?
Thanks Tel522, not need to feel sorry for me because I am safe in Ubud area, the sorry it is really for the ones who live close by and had to move already.
What worries me is how often I felt the tremors or small earthquakes and how they increase daily and if it is related with the volcan Agung, I guess so, this morning I already felt two

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Agung update in the danger area , around 200,000 evacuated

A. Titik pengungsian Singaraja
1. Pengungsi = 36.900
2. Petugas. = 1846
Jml. = 38.746 org.

B. Titik pengungsian Abang
1. Pengungsi. = 43.968
2. Petugas. = 2.199
Jml = 46.167 org

C Titik pengungsian Manggis
1. Pengungsi. = 50.830
2. Petugas. = 3.042
Jml = 63.872 org

D. Titik Pengungsian Klk
1. Pengungsi. = 42.381
2. Petugas. = 2.119
Jml = 44.500.

*Jml seluruhnya 193.285 org.*

davita

Mar 13, 2012
When Mount Agung last blew out in 1963 I'm told the 1700 that died were local residents and was the result of spewing of lava from the crater. The rest of Bali only suffered from the ash. Nearly all residents within the danger area (some 2000) have been evacuated this time.

However....If Krakatoa is an example we could be in for serious New Year fireworks in Bali.....from Wiki....
"While seismic activity around the volcano was intense in the years preceding the cataclysmic 1883 eruption, a series of lesser eruptions began on May 20, 1883. The volcano released huge plumes of steam and ash lasting until late August.
On August 27 a series of four huge explosions almost entirely destroyed the island. The explosions were so violent that they were heard 3,110 km (1,930 mi) away in
Perth, Western Australia, and the island of Rodrigues near Mauritius, 4,800 km (3,000 mi) away."

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
When Mount Agung last blew out in 1963 I'm told the 1700 that died were local residents and was the result of spewing of lava from the crater. The rest of Bali only suffered from the ash. Nearly all residents within the danger area (some 2000) have been evacuated this time.

However....If Krakatoa is an example we could be in for serious New Year fireworks in Bali.....from Wiki....
"While seismic activity around the volcano was intense in the years preceding the cataclysmic 1883 eruption, a series of lesser eruptions began on May 20, 1883. The volcano released huge plumes of steam and ash lasting until late August.
On August 27 a series of four huge explosions almost entirely destroyed the island. The explosions were so violent that they were heard 3,110 km (1,930 mi) away in
Perth, Western Australia, and the island of Rodrigues near Mauritius, 4,800 km (3,000 mi) away."

To read that is quite scary, I guess the island where is Krakatoa is a very small one but still shock to read that line for me

Rayrayzaray

Sep 23, 2012
my house is in Jasri @ 30 k away . arrive tomorrow was not to worried until got an email from expat friend in jasri (long , long term resident saying how serious it was and to not even bother heading east . he is leaving to seminyak , that's where ill be staying for at least the first week .

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014

toa eventcano was intense in the years preceding the cataclysmic 1883 eruption, a series of lesser eruptions began on May 20, 1883. The volcano released huge plumes of steam and ash lasting until late August.

The Krakatoa event was I think the largest recorded volcanic eruption in history, maybe the largest explosion on the planet in recorded history. It was followed by a huge tidal wave and the ash affected sunrises and sunsets worldwide for years...maybe a decade IIRC. It totally destroyed the island that was there -- and created a new one, which as been studied for evolution. There's a wonderful book about it called "Krakatoa" written by Simon Winchester. GREAT READ.

I'll bet anyone $100USD that we will NOT have such an event. Because, of course, I either win, or we are both likely dead.

- Bill

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Agung update evacuations , Amed , Tulamben , Amlapura and surrounding areas 2 days ago, by a midnight knock on the door.
scary times .

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Could happen a volcan eruption at the same time than an earthquake? are these tremors or small earthquakes we are feeling that far from Agung related to what is going on on the volcan or the underground of Agung?

yes. yes. I am also in Ubud but have not felt anything.

- Bill

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Billt4SF
Krakatau was certainly a disastrous eruption, but it was preceded by Gunung Tambora (on Sumbawa island) in 1815. News of it couldn’t travel around the world quickly at the time because the telegraph hadn’t been invented. Tambora was the largest volcanic explosion recorded in human history. It lead to the ‘year with no summer’ in 1816 across Europe, Asia and North America.

The following is from Vocano Discovery:

On 10 April 1815, Tambora produced the largest eruption known on the planet during the past 10,000 years. The volcano erupted more than 50 cubic kilometers of magma and collapsed afterwards to form a 6 km wide and 1250 m deep caldera. The eruption produced global climatic effects and killed more than 100,000 people, directly and indirectly. Minor lava domes and flows have been extruded on the caldera floor at Tambora during the 19th and 20th centuries.

www.volcanodiscovery.com/volcanoes/facts/biggest-eruption.html

davita

Mar 13, 2012
A story....
My whole in-law family, and there are many, decided we'd spend Xmas at a resort on the beach near Merak, overlooking Anak Krakatoa.
As I'm the only 'uncle bule' my task was to entertain the kids while other uncles would dress up as Santa and Elves and deliver the presents.
I gathered them all in a huddle looking to the anak and started...."Back in 1893 there was a big, big mountain over there!" the kids had big eyes so I knew I had a captured audience and proceeded to recount the story using body language and face expressions. I could tell that my story was getting a little long when I overheard them whisper about which uncle would be Santa this year....so, just as I garnished myself for a big finale to describe the massive explosion one niece asked........ "Uncle Bule....were you there?"

Much laughter and much humiliation....:oops:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re: post #16 by Johnny cool....

Interesting Johnny...were you there....:D

According to Wiki the biggest eruption ever was in Yellowstone park some 2.2 million years ago...sadly I cannot verify 'coz I wasn't there either.
I'm just hoping we all aren't going to be part of a similar history here in Bali soon.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Yes, Yellowstone is a biggie. The last time was 600,000 years ago. It’s a sneaky looking thing because there is no visible mountain – all the action is going on underneath.

The other area to watch out for is the Cascadia subduction zone which runs 1,000kms from British Columbia to north California. Some experts reckon it’s overdue to crank up again ‘soon’, others say in the next 50 years. Who knows?

I doubt that Gunung Agung is capable of a Tambora-like event. Hope I’m right.
Nevertheless, if it blows/erupts, it can certainly come up with something ‘memorable’.
;)

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
I have not idea about all these things, what can be the repercussions of a volcanic eruption?
Some friends from Europe told me, that they read it could be as well a risk of a Tsunami if finally there is a eruption.
The information is almost null, I have the feeling that my friends in Europe know more than us about what is going on.
I am trying to watch Bali TV to try to catch up but to be honest the information is pretty bad and not very often or always appear the same information and the same images, I am not sure about the National TV if they are covering this. Nothing to do with the information on international TV programs about what happen in Florida a few weeks ago, probably that was too much and here almost nothing.
By the way Bali TV is terrible, I miss the old Bali TV, now is full of marketing and programs promoting resorts, villas, shops, restaurants, I am not sure for who, maybe they think there is tourist watching Bali TV? or there is Balinese people who can afford to go to that villas?
Yesterday morning in one hour they repeat the same documentary about a villa four times! in one hour four times the same program about the same villa! hard to believe! and keep repeating the same programs the whole morning.
Sorry, this is not the topic.