Receive money from myself

jiker69

Dec 5, 2016
How can I send myself money in Bali other than Western Union? I have an American bank account but from what I've researched, I can't transfer money to myself using that account. TransferWise or a company like them would be great but I need a bank account in Bali.

Your help is greatly appreciated

davita

Mar 13, 2012
How can I send myself money in Bali other than Western Union? I have an American bank account but from what I've researched, I can't transfer money to myself using that account. TransferWise or a company like them would be great but I need a bank account in Bali.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Have you tried to get money from an ATM associated with your cash/debit/credit card? Many visitors use this facility, mainly for small amounts.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Anyone can now open a bank account in Ri, Bni Bank have an office in Nyc,i have been there many times,they are very helpful and you can transfer $$$ thru them to your account in Ri,providing your account in Ri is with Bni,i transfer money thru them quite often,their transfer fees are reasonable also,however you can only send $3,000 per month,this works good for me because i live in Nyc,however i believe you can transfer money from a bank account anywhere in the Us to the Bni in Nyc and then they forward it to your account in Ri,you would need to contact the Nyc office about how that actually works,i transfer cash so im not sure how sending from your American account to Bni in Nyc works,i think you can also open the account in Ri thru the Nyc office but again not absolutely sure,best to call them,

This is the # for the Nyc office,,212 943 4750,

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Anyone can now open a bank account in Ri, ,

That isn't the case NyDave. Many banks require a Kitas/Kitap to open a bank account in RI. I'm not saying all banks but most of the International ones have that requirement.

If the OP can open a local bank account it is very simple to use TransferWise to ship money around at a very good rate of exchange.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Unless they have changed the regulations again recently ( which is very possible as its a very common thing to do in Ri) but 2 yrs ago they made a regulation stating that even a tourist can open an account,,also i have discussed this with the guys here at the Bni in Manhattan,just to be sure im going to Google it right now,because i dont want to give wrong advice,

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Unless they have changed the regulations again recently ( which is very possible as its a very common thing to do in Ri) but 2 yrs ago they made a regulation stating that even a tourist can open an account,,also i have discussed this with the guys here at the Bni in Manhattan,just to be sure im going to Google it right now,because i dont want to give wrong advice,

I'd be interested to read that regulation as I don't recall it.
Here is a good explanation for foreigners operating bank accounts in Indonesia... http://www.expat.or.id/info/banking.html

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Ok google this,,,,,Indonesia:Circulars issued on bank accounts for foreigners,,,,its dated Sept 15th 2015,,

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Ok google this,,,,,Indonesia:Circulars issued on bank accounts for foreigners,,,,its dated Sept 15th 2015,,

Thanks NyDave...I recall that circular but kinda laughed it off as it wasn't implemented into any regulation or law. It only recommended the bank allow tourists to open a savings or fixed deposit account in US $ ...I cannot see why any tourist would do that nor why any bank would even bother. The intent was to show Indonesia is open for foreign business...what a joke!

As I previously said some smaller banks in RI may open an account for a foreigner if they have some other connection.... like a friend who can verify, or an account with an associated bank.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Some banks are more flexible about the KITAS rule, Danamon for example might be worth a try.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
I assumed the op was living in Ri,so it would be convenient for her,as for tourists opening an account it doesn`t make sence,

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Some banks are more flexible about the KITAS rule, Danamon for example might be worth a try.
Agree, Danamon is reputedly more flexible and allows non-residents (ie, those without KITAS or KITAP) to open USD accounts. Have also heard that Mandiri is possible for non-residents.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Most Indonesian banks that have an international connection are worried about FATCA and other countries Financial Services Acts vis-a-vis 'money laundering' and they apply the rule to "know your client", which requires more documentation than a passport.
Other more local banks, like people's banks (rakyats), are less strict.
If any long-term visitor, without a kitas/kitap, only needs an account to receive TransferWise or other money transfers, then those rakyats may suffice.
I read, on another forum, that Capital360 in USA offers great exchange rates when transferring from an RI ATM with their cash card.

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Many people using the tourist or social visa are able to open bank accounts when an Indonesian citizen introduces them to their bank.