Jember via Bali

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
Gday all, my mother in law is now living in Jember, I am trying to work out the best route to take. I don't know of any direct flights there from Bali or Jakarta. I think everything goes thru Surabaya, the ferry crossing from Bali to Jawa and hiring a car, driver maybe an option but not sure how long that would take. Had anyone living in Bali visited Jember, it seems like we will be using Bali as a travelling base for visiting Jember and Kupang. Tanks in advance

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
If you rent a car and driver in bali around 450k per day plus accom cost in jember , its around a full day drive to get to jember including ferry crossing , so you will need to stay in jember .

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I've done the executive train trip Banyuwangi to Surabaya and I think we stopped in Jember...it was about a couple of hours out of Banyuwangi.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've done it on a motorscooter not so long ago and if you start out from Dps around 6am you should be in Jember by 3 or 4 if you get a decent ferry connection. The ferry is the problem - you go and it takes 45 minutes to BangyouWangMe but then it stops offshore for an hour or 2 waiting for Ramadan or something... If your missus is a toughy get her to get a good ferry connection and you could be there for a late lunch.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Markit is correct...you can almost spit between Gilimanuk on Bali and Banyuwangi on Java but there are more ferries than dockspace so the ferry waits in the middle till another leaves....frustrating wait.

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
Gday all, hiring a car and driver is a great idea from Denpassar, better than flying , it would definetly be cheaper. My new idea is to hire a car and driver, drop us off at the ferry and then have my brother in law pick us at Banyuwangi and take us back to Jember, and have the a driver and car waiting for us when we return to Gilimanuk , we plan to stay awhile in Jember possibly up to a week at a time also my sister in law will come from Kupang and jump in for a ride too. We will save on accommodation costs for the hired driver , its a shame we cant drive to Kupang , that will be another adventure. THANKYOU TOO GOOD

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
My wife has just mentioned Banyuwangi is currently a tourist hotspot as well, too good , my smile is spreading even bigger , too good tanks

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
My wife has just mentioned Banyuwangi is currently a tourist hotspot as well, too good , my smile is spreading even bigger , too good tanks
honestly , the boss of banyuwangi is trying to promote the place , unfortunately he is deluded , there is nowt going on there , .

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
honestly , the boss of banyuwangi is trying to promote the place , unfortunately he is deluded , there is nowt going on there , .
not to worry , we will only be there a short time before driving to Jember, who knows it may get better , tanks for your knowledge.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I’ve been to and through Jember several times in the past. Mostly driving my own car from Bali, but stopped there once on a slow train from Banyuwangi-Surabaya.

It looks like you’ve now decided how you’re going to get there. However, I think that hiring a Balinese driver to take you to Gilimanuk is probably a bit excessive when there are frequent public buses that do the same.

There are also trains from Banyuwangi to Jember (maybe two hours, or so), but I don’t know the current timetables/prices. There was one from Karangasem Station (in Banyuwangi) that left at 9:45 am and cost about one dollar. I think that it’s possible these days to book a ticket online. The drive from Jember to Banyuwangi takes about 90 minutes (on a good day).
Have "fun" in Jember - it's a big and very busy place. Good luck.

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
I’ve been to and through Jember several times in the past. Mostly driving my own car from Bali, but stopped there once on a slow train from Banyuwangi-Surabaya.

It looks like you’ve now decided how you’re going to get there. However, I think that hiring a Balinese driver to take you to Gilimanuk is probably a bit excessive when there are frequent public buses that do the same.

There are also trains from Banyuwangi to Jember (maybe two hours, or so), but I don’t know the current timetables/prices. There was one from Karangasem Station (in Banyuwangi) that left at 9:45 am and cost about one dollar. I think that it’s possible these days to book a ticket online. The drive from Jember to Banyuwangi takes about 90 minutes (on a good day).
Have "fun" in Jember - it's a big and very busy place. Good luck.
Gday, tanks for the information and thoughts. We will have a youngster in tow so we would like to stop for a break here and there, and if he needs a break he wouldn't handle a bus trip very well either, a driver,car is our preferred option , and usually have lots of baggage too. We have stayed in Jember once a few years ago visiting the brother in law and family and did a quick tour around the city centre but hoping to venture further afield when we arrive as the brother in law wants to show us around in his new wheels , maybe even think about Malang. Tanks again

davita

Mar 13, 2012
If you are planning to spend any time on your trip in Malang/Lawang I highly recommend visiting Batu where they have some incredible parks...well worth visiting. I've only spent a wonderful day in one called Eco-Park but it's on my list to re-visit as there are many more...please check out Batu..:D

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Ya malang is worth a look unfortunately its pretty radical these days , batu is quite pretty and cool .

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I spent a week in Malang about 5 months ago and it was fine. Big modern city with some really nice suburbs and restos with the aforementioned parks a big hit under the locals. I did the outside fruit park (forget the name, it's a fair way outside of the city proper in Batu) but my mate did the car museum and had a grand time with some excellent pix - would not have expected it here in Indo.

Staid very cheaply and very well (with pool and modern rooms with AC) in the center of town in the old Dutch hotel (again, name completely forgotten but there's only the one) that gives quick foot access to many things of interest - the museum showing the Dutch colonial time is good. Finding a cold beer can be a challenge but that's over all like that :0(.

Worth a visit, especially if you go over Bromo to get there - just tell the guys (your indo gf/wife) at the top that you don't give a toss for the volcano and just want to go to Malang and they won't charge you the "skin" cost.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
IMO Malang and Lawang and Batu are well worth a visit as Markit said. There is a tea plantation nearby that's interesting as it's on the side of an active volcano which I hoped wouldn't erupt while I was there...you can rent a quad-bike and scoot around the plantation.
There's also a few apple orchards...you are allowed to pick a certain amount of apples as DIY but typically Indonesians bring bags to sell them when they get home. The amusing part for me is the guys at the entrance have binoculars and a loudhailer and embarrass anyone picking more than their ration...I asked them to single out my wife and scold her...best Rp10,000 I've ever spent.
Batu itself is worth a few days to see all the parks. There is a hotel that looks from the outside like a bombed or fire-burned building but is actually 4 or 5 star...I didn't try but it's on my bucket list.

Reactions: scottishartisan

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
Gday all , Malang, Batu will definetly be eyeballed by us when we visit Jember but I don't know anything about Lawang but will have a look too. We have just returned from a trip to Jakarta so we will start saving for our Bali, Jember, malang, Batu adventures , Tanks again .

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Like others I have driven there several times and also used the train.

Watu Ulo is a beach south of Jember worth visiting https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...ews-Watu_Ulo_Beach-Jember_East_Java_Java.html.

A bit to the west of Watu Ulo is a place called Puger which is not so much a tourist spot but is more a working fisherman's town with hundreds of colorful fishing boats moored up a river. In January 2012 I got this photo with the wreck in the background of a boat that had taken 300 asylum seekers to the their deaths as it headed towards Christmas Island through a storm. The location where this photo was taken is -8.385728,113.476158

Both Watu Ulo and Puger have Ikan Bakar warungs where I have enjoyed great fish.

Attachments

• AsylumSeekerWreck.jpg
    AsylumSeekerWreck.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 12

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re: post # 19 by Ronb...

I think your attached pic titled 'Asylum Seeker Wreck' seems inappropriate. You are a handsome man and do not look like a wreck requiring asylum...:D

Reactions: ronb and Adam