Hello!

Starla

Apr 9, 2017
Hi everyone! I am looking to move from the USA to Bali in December 2017. I'm currently in Bali on a short holiday (my third time here). I'm a teacher back home and will be needing information on work and housing, etc.

Thank you, and I look forward to talking with you all

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi Starla and welcome to the Bali forum.
If you are looking to work as a teacher in Indonesia you will need ta acquaint yourself with the rules of employing a foreigner...it isn't easy. I suggest you get to know some teachers so you will avoid the pitfalls others have encountered. There are many clandestine language mills that say they are legit and will get you an IMTA (work permit) but they lie and you could get into trouble with the Ministry of Manpower and Immigration..... be careful..

Reactions: sakumabali

Starla

Apr 9, 2017
Hi Davita, thank you for your reply. I will be sure to watch out for that; I don't want to get in trouble for visa problems. Closer to my move date I will be in touch with some schools that I have been researching. Most likely I will have to wait until the 2017/2018 school year ends in June before getting a job anyways. Hopefully during that time I can meet other teachers near Kuta and gather a lot of information.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hi Davita, thank you for your reply. I will be sure to watch out for that; I don't want to get in trouble for visa problems. Closer to my move date I will be in touch with some schools that I have been researching. Most likely I will have to wait until the 2017/2018 school year ends in June before getting a job anyways. Hopefully during that time I can meet other teachers near Kuta and gather a lot of information.
Why wait? You should use all the time you have available!

Starla

Apr 9, 2017
Hi Daniel! I had thought about that but then it occurred to me that they might get tons of people saying they are moving to Bali and are looking for jobs, yet never do. But you're right, start building relationships and getting my name out there is a good thing! I still have about 8 months and oh SO much to do to prepare (at least it feels that way). I will send out introductory emails next week and see how it goes :)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Things can take some wild turns in Bali. Way back in the early 1980's , after couple of visits I had decided to explore living full time in Bali. So, I needed a way to survive, and since Bali does not need nuclear physicists, I decided to apply for a teaching job (I had also taught, but at the university level in the US for several years) in one of the couple of private schools on the island, at the time, but I understand that now there are many more. I did get a positive, but also bewildered answer from the Head of the Balinese school, and this started an exchange of letters and faxes (in those days, no emails). She was in favor of my being hired by the school, but their were several other members on the school board who were rather skeptical about how/why a nuclear physicist, having worked and taught at the prestigious California Institute of Technology, would, all of the sudden, want to teach little expat kids in Bali. During our exchanges, over several months, this person was going to get married to a Balinese man from Sukawati. Two weeks before the wedding, he got ran over on his bicycle by a car. The lady then married his brother instead (Some kind of Balinese tradition?). This was obviously a rather stressful time for her, and we stopped corresponding for several more months. When she resurfaced, she was back in the US, her marriage with the brother having collapsed rather rapidly...I never heard from her again, and obviously, my mentor at the Int'l School gone, I did not get hired!

Reactions: spicyayam

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Just imagine if Tintin had gotten the job - Bali could be a nuclear power today and Kim Jung would be hanging here looking for some tips on how to build rockets and stuff.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Just imagine if Tintin had gotten the job - Bali could be a nuclear power today and Kim Jung would be hanging here looking for some tips on how to build rockets and stuff.

...or I would be filthy rich now, because I could have easily been bribed!