Hello, just saying g'day

BillandSue

Apr 8, 2017
Perth
Hi, we live in Perth and now the time has come for us that we want to live in Bali, hate the winters and want to be warm all year over.
As the time goes we will be searching through here and asking the odd questions

One thing...
Can one purchase Tetleys Tea Bags in Bali and Nescafe Coffee...

TIA

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi Bill and Sue and welcome to the forum.
It's likely you will be warmer here in Bali but this year you'll certainly be wetter...I think it has to be the wettest ever...rain should have stopped ages ago. Good news is it does clean the air and isn't incessant.
There are many western-style stores in Bali...a newish one is on Jl. Sunset called Grand Lucky and probably has all those Tetley and Nescafe products you require. Imported isn't cheap but available...I love Tetley tea but have got used to Sariwangi now.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
There's plenty of Nescafe products and I think I saw Tetley Tea in the import section of Carrefour on Jalan Sunset Road.

Not sure if you've searched through the forum yet, but here's a few common words of advice.

1. Don't sell your house or burn your bridges at home, most people who come to live in Bali don't end up staying.
2. Stay in short term rentals first until you're sure about which area suits you best.
3. There's no need to become cynical but Bali's no paradise and the people aren't all saints. Leave your rose-coloured glasses at home.

BillandSue

Apr 8, 2017
Perth
Hi... thanks for the info...
We are planning on renting a Villa for 12 months when we arrive...
We have been looking at Balilongtermrentals web site and seen one or two that look pretty nice, and have security etc which i feel we would like.
One in Seminyak but, reading on the retirement website we must employ a maid buy this place comes with maid, pool people etc,
Is this exceptable in the eyes of the retirement rules as the villa people employ the staff and not us.

We are also sure we read that once we arrive we have to stay in Indonesia for the first 12 months...
Does this mean we are not allowed to leave and my wife wont be allowed to return back to Perth to see grandkids etc...
Hope you can shed some light for us please...
TIA

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013

It's up to you, but 12 months is a long time to be stuck somewhere if it turns out you don't like the place. Don't forget, you usually have to pay the whole 12 months rent upfront.

I'm guessing you've already been to Bali a few times but if not, Sanur's usually the place retirees end up choosing. Davita is a retiree on this forum who has previously said that he should've bought in Sanur instead of Kerobokan.

If I was you I'd get the 60 Day Tourist Visa here: http://kjri-perth.org.au/index.php/visa/tourist-visa/, try living in a few different places, fly back to Perth (or Singapore if cheaper) and then come back on the retirement visa.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi... thanks for the info...
We have been looking at Balilongtermrentals web site and seen one or two that look pretty nice, and have security etc which i feel we would like.
One in Seminyak but, reading on the retirement website we must employ a maid buy this place comes with maid, pool people etc,
Is this exceptable in the eyes of the retirement rules as the villa people employ the staff and not us.

We are also sure we read that once we arrive we have to stay in Indonesia for the first 12 months...
Does this mean we are not allowed to leave and my wife wont be allowed to return back to Perth to see grandkids etc...
Hope you can shed some light for us please...
TIA

If you are planning to get a retirement visa are you aware it is only available by using an agent to make the application on your behalf unless one of the spouse is an Indonesian., This doesn't come cheap and you need to select an agent you are comfortable will do due diligence,,,there are still a few scammers,!!! That agent will brief on all the requirements which aren't too onerous, basically the agent will fix-it.....the principle one is you need to be min 55 years old.
Once issued.... a retirement Kitas comes with an exit/re-entry permit (MERP). This allows you to leave and return at any time but you must NOT stay out of Indonesia more than 12 months.

BillandSue

Apr 8, 2017
Perth
Hi. Thanks guys for all that.
Yes we know about the agent, as time approaches would anyone on here he forum be able to recommend a suitable agent?
I'm 58 and my wife is 53.
TIA