London - Bali cheaper than Brisbane - Bali

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Just an interesting observation on the economics of international air travel and how Australian flag carriers are taking the public for a (expensive) ride.

lhrdps1.png bnedps.png

Reactions: admin

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I get where you're coming from but I think it's simply a matter of supply and demand.

In Australia, every man and his dog wants to come to Bali in June/July, where as that would be the middle of the low season for the Brits looking to fly to Bali.

By the way, what OS are you using? Some sort of Linux?

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Indeed, you are correct about the 'supply and demand' equation. Australian airlines are very adept at gouging us poor parents who have no choice but to fly during the school holidays, curse their mendacious hearts to hell. I used to take the girls out of school, but don't feel comfortable doing that now that they are a bit older. Any carrier who has the temerity to challenge the two-airline duopoly can look forward to a protracted price war which the two airlines (Qantas and Virgin) will maintain until the opposition is bankrupt. It has happened a few times over the years. If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say there was a conspiracy in play.

I'm using a OS called PCLinux KDE on this box. I just happened to find it a couple of years ago after getting sick and tired of viruses on Windows XP so cleaned my laptop and installed it. It has worked like a charm although I only really use it for browsing the internet.

I recently bought a Windows 10 laptop and installed Ubuntu as a dual boot install with Windows 10. Quite happy with that also, fairly easy to set up but not for the faint-hearted - you need some background knowledge to be able to do the bits and bobs required to complete the install.

Last edited:
Reactions: DenpasarHouse

davita

Mar 13, 2012
SamD can I pick your brain for a minute. I have windows 10 but it is governed by an administrator and I cannot down load much unless I enter a password which I don't have...I'd like to delete the administrator but haven't had any success. Any help.
When I open control panel and click 'change user control' I get a box asking if I want to allow this app to make changes...then to enter user name and password. But the box to enter a password says NO and when I click that....everything disappears.

Last edited:

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Sorry, I'm not really a PC expert. I know enough to be dangerous but that is all. I don't think you would be able to delete the admin user so you need some backdoor way to get the password. I'd try a google search as a first resort. If that fails, go outside and find a teenager. Any teenager should be able to help you. :)

Reactions: dav733

davita

Mar 13, 2012
OK thanks...it used to be said that I should get my son to repair computers but now it's...... get your grandson...hehehe.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
SamD can I pick your brain for a minute. I have windows 10 but it is governed by an administrator and I cannot down load much unless I enter a password which I don't have...I'd like to delete the administrator but haven't had any success. Any help.
When I open control panel and click 'change user control' I get a box asking if I want to allow this app to make changes...then to enter user name and password. But the box to enter a password says NO and when I click that....everything disappears.

It sounds like you don't have a password associated with your Windows User Account. I only upgraded to Windows 10 last week so it might be some other problem.

Try this:
  1. Click the Start button at the bottom left of your screen.
  2. Click Settings from the list to the left.
  3. Select Accounts.
  4. Select Sign-in options from the menu.
  5. Click on Change under Change your account password.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I'm using a OS called PCLinux KDE on this box. I just happened to find it a couple of years ago after getting sick and tired of viruses on Windows XP so cleaned my laptop and installed it. It has worked like a charm although I only really use it for browsing the internet.

I don't really use Linux for any practical purpose but I like to keep an eye on it. Apparently Linux Mint is considered the easiest and most user friendly Linux distribution at the moment. It's based on Ubuntu but is very close to Windows in usability.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I have been using Ubuntu for a while now. It just took a bit of time to get used to but now I much prefer it to windows. The only problem I have had is that mic doesn't work well for skype. I have no idea why and spent a bit of time mucking around with the settings.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
When I to and fro to Oz I always prefer to use Garuda, I just search their site for deals and book accordingly.
Their service is much better than the Oz based carriers and you can also depend on their flights in and out of Bali as they get preferential treatment at the airport and the air approach into Denpasar.
I've even scored several business class/flat-bed seats at bargain prices that were less than the sardine class seats from other airlines at the time with no loss of business class privileges.
Bagus sekali.

Reactions: Nydave

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Their service is much better than the Oz based carriers and you can also depend on their flights in and out of Bali as they get preferential treatment at the airport and the air approach into Denpasar.

Never heard of airlines getting any preferences landing or taking off from any airport. Do you have any information to back this up or have you just heard about it....or willing to believe it.
My understanding is a flight plan is submitted and ATC give clearances on a first come-first served basis. With its one runway Bali has a problem slotting those wanting to land, and those taking off, but any preference given to its own airline would be a matter for international action.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
[QUOTE="Steve Rossell, post: 114880, member: 18785"Their service is much better than the Oz based carriers and you can also depend on their flights in and out of Bali as they get preferential treatment at the airport and the air approach into Denpasar.

Never heard of airlines getting any preferences landing or taking off from any airport. Do you have any information to back this up or have you just heard about it....or willing to believe it.
My understanding is a flight plan is submitted and ATC give clearances on a first come-first served basis. With its one runway Bali has a problem slotting those wanting to land, and those taking off, but any preference given to its own airline would be a matter for international action.

Well, I got two out of three there davita but I have been lead to believe that on approach to Ngurah Rai, during volcanic ash activity, Garuda has some benefit of military airspace. When other carriers were cancelling flights left, right and centre, Garuda kept departing and arriving. That was of course unless the airport was closed.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
When we had volcanic ash from the east (Mt Rinjani) most of the cancellations were airlines that operate from OZ as they would transit that area. Most of the local traffic, Garuda, Lion, Air Asia etc coming from another location...i.e.the west, and thus avoiding the area of dispersed ash, continued operation.
It is up to each airline to make that decision until, as you say, the airport is closed by the airport authority.

dav733

Dec 29, 2016
Jetstar (owned by quaintass)are crazy expensive ,they ripping Off the loyal Australians who made them,get a basic price ,,usually higher than most,,then the big price gouge in school holiday times ,unless you are happy for multi stops and 12to20 hrs for a flight that should be 5.5 to 6hrs,,but then go into book and add approx another $150 for bags,entertainment,tasteless meal,,,I have travelled Malindo air now many times,,it's usually way under js,and all included,,,and very Pleasant ,staff
I will never ever foot on js again,,,