BonditoBali

Sep 7, 2014
Hi everyone,
The family and I have been in Bali for about 5 months now. Feeling settled in, but would like to buy a second hand car. Renting is not viable as we'll be here a long time. I have seen lots of expats driving old suzuki jimny/katanas and they seem to be what we need. Something relatively cheap, just to get from A to B with the family, and hopefully with lots of spare parts floating around in case it breaks down.
Looking on OLX, they seem to go between 30j and 70j for a late 80s-mid 90s jimmy/katana
Obviously a local seller will inflate the price for me, so I have a local friend who can do the negotiating for me (I'll incentivise him by throwing him some $ if he gets it for the amount I want to spend). I'm looking to spend around 40j.
Back in Aus, I would get a mechanic to check it out for me, but I figure that if I do that here, the local mechanic will just side with the local seller (maybe receiving a little $ for saying the car is mechanically fine). Anyone know a trustworthy mechanic near Pererenan? Or another way I can get the car checked?
Any other useful tips for getting a decent second hand car?
Thanks for your constructive advice!
BsB

Reactions: Nydave

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Well BB I think you're making it all needlessly complicated.

Suzuki jeeps are way over priced for what they are BECAUSE all the rental guys keep them for foreign renters. I rented one for 5 years (!!! I know) but mainly for the convenience and it was very cheap.

If you want a cheap 2nd hand car then hang out in all the Bali FB sights and watch as they leave.

There is a remarkable turnover of people here who've come to Bali to spend years chasing some "dragon" only to find out, after they've bought into the life here, that dragons aren't real or that they really miss mum and dad back home or whatever.

Those are your sellers. You will need cash.

BonditoBali

Sep 7, 2014
Hi Markit, thanks for your reply. I've been watching a few fb car sales group but most seem to be selling 2008+ vehicles that are beyond my budget. Perhaps, renting s Suzuki cheaply is another option. Do you still have a rental contact? Any thoughts about whether it's possible to get the car (if I buy one) inspected by a mechanic? Is that just not feasible here? Thanks again for your advice. B2b

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi Markit, thanks for your reply. I've been watching a few fb car sales group but most seem to be selling 2008+ vehicles that are beyond my budget. A few good places to start your search -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/148203102026630/?ref=group_browse_new
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1399945296911780/?ref=group_browse_new
https://www.facebook.com/groups/414342725279029/?ref=group_browse_new

Perhaps, renting s Suzuki cheaply is another option. Do you still have a rental contact?
Call my friend Mr. Muka in Renon and ask him on +62 812 3919 682 (say Hi from Mark) I got mine for 1.5/month but that was looooongggg ago!

Any thoughts about whether it's possible to get the car (if I buy one) inspected by a mechanic? Is that just not feasible here? Thanks again for your advice. B2b

In my experience getting a mechanic to look at a car only has limited use unless you are good friends with said mechanic. Without tearing the car apart it's pretty difficult to say what's going to go wrong.

Problem is that if he gets you to buy a lemon he is pretty sure you are gonna come to him for repairs - so "porked".

Most people that drive for any length of time get a feel for cars whether one is good or not. I suggest you trust that - don't forget repairs are astonishingly cheap here since what make them so expensive in the west is the working hour pay, which is laughingly small here.

Give Muka a call.

justgary

Feb 10, 2015
Well BB I think you're making it all needlessly complicated.

Suzuki jeeps are way over priced for what they are BECAUSE all the rental guys keep them for foreign renters. I rented one for 5 years (!!! I know) but mainly for the convenience and it was very cheap.

If you want a cheap 2nd hand car then hang out in all the Bali FB sights and watch as they leave.

There is a remarkable turnover of people here who've come to Bali to spend years chasing some "dragon" only to find out, after they've bought into the life here, that dragons aren't real or that they really miss mum and dad back home or whatever.

Those are your sellers. You will need cash.
Hello Markit.
I wonder if you can help me out with my question. If I obtain a retirement visa, which I am eligible for, can i purchase a new bike or car? I read a post of yours suggesting that it's better to have a local purchase it for cash and then sell it back as second hand. Does this imply that it's legal to buy second hand. I'm finding this all a bit tricky.
Regards Gary

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hello Markit.
I wonder if you can help me out with my question. If I obtain a retirement visa, which I am eligible for, can i purchase a new bike or car? I read a post of yours suggesting that it's better to have a local purchase it for cash and then sell it back as second hand. Does this imply that it's legal to buy second hand. I'm finding this all a bit tricky.
Regards Gary
It is illegal for foreigners to own new cars or bikes here (God only knows why?) in their own names. But if you have a friend buy the car/bike on Tuesday and then sell it to you on the Wednesday it's no long a new car is it?

If you are finding this at all tricky you will have a wonderful time living here ;o)

That being said just keep the bike/car in the friend's name and hold onto the blue book (ownership documents) and nothing can happen to the vehicle. You may need your friend's help insuring it on a yearly basis but that aint no thang!

Reactions: justgary

davita

Mar 13, 2012
If you have a kitap and ktp you can buy a car or bike .

Are you sure tel522. I also thought that but I've been told, by a few people, that isn't correct in Bali. A KTP OA doesn't permit purchasing a new vehicle...only a KTP from a local.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
ktp orang asing is for foreigners on kitap , like me , I have a new car bought last year without problem , they wanted to see my ktp oa which they fotocopied , .

davita

Mar 13, 2012
ktp orang asing is for foreigners on kitap , like me , I have a new car bought last year without problem , they wanted to see my ktp oa which they fotocopied , .

Thanks tel522 for the info...but, just for clarity, is yours a retirement Kitap and you have a KTP OA, and you purchased a new car in Bali in your own name?

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
married kitap , the law says I must have ktp oa, if not there is a fine for late application , the new car is in my name bought in sanur , no problem .

The ktp oa is the most useful doc I have got here , a fully accepted form of id , just makes life easy , .

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks tel522.....
Justgary was asking about a retirement Kitas and my comment was heard from others on a retirement Kitas/Kitap who said they were not allowed to buy a new car in Bali.
I think there may be a rule difference between spousal or retirement Kitas/Kitap.....as there seems to be regarding BPJS also.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
It seems so regarding car ownership , because to get the ktp oa I must be on the kartu keluarga ie family card , ya all legal requirements for me .
I have heard also now for retirement kitas/kitap no bpjs , but iv also heard next year bpjs will be a key document for every kind of local administration including sim ie driving license , how thats going to work for our retired compatriots I dont know .,
As usual here a conflict of administration.

I did hear on this or another forum a number of retirement kitap holders having ktp oa how they did this I dont know , but if they have that id of course they will be able to buy a bike or car in their own name .

davita

Mar 13, 2012
It's only my interpretation, as I have no info, but it seems to me it isn't intentional to ban foreigners on Kitas/Kitas from those things like car buying, BPJS, drivers licence etc...its just that they are so inept they cannot cope with the ordinary, never mind the exceptional.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
For sure it seems that training is a "dirty word" here among some official employees , standards of service vary dramatically from office to office , and the law as it applies to foreign and local alike .

It seems to work on 'chinese whispers ' and the odd drop of lubricating oil !