samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
^^ Also the demographic between here and bali is somewhat different...expats retire here for a different kind of tourism.

However, I see far more families make a success of it here, than I do single guys, be they old farts or young farts...many a guy goes home from here with dreams shattered and broken.

The families generally have some sensibilities about them.

Thumps

Mar 6, 2014
I'm having ALOT of trouble finding websites for Long term Villa rental in Bali, or is there a shortage?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I'm having ALOT of trouble finding websites for Long term Villa rental in Bali, or is there a shortage?

The first thing to say is that some available properties are not listed on the Internet, and you find them when you ask locally.

Secondly, I suggest you take a look at Rumah123.com which lists some properties aimed at expats, but also more modest properties aimed at locals. You will need to enter the Province of Bali, the city of Denpasar, and locality of Sanur (or Sanur Kaja = north, or Sanur Kauh = west).

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Ronb is right...I've just been walking to our little local mall and on the wall of the grocery/restaurant/bar there are numerous villas advertised for long-term rent.
Thus my recent suggestion to arrive and stay for maybe a week in a local hotel or short-term villa and investigate while here...I think it an error to ply the internet, other than get a feel for the place. Best make the big decision when you are in Bali and become familiar with surroundings.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
within 24 hours going from "certainly buying" to "renting" is not a good sign...
the fact you only replied to my point 2, regarding the method of buying property is also not a good sign...
"not a good sign" means that imho you're totally unprepared for a move to Bali...
Unprepared as in getting ahead of yourself, that's why I said there's nothing wrong with looking at houses/villa's, but there are some things that you need to take a closer look at and handle first..

when I wrote "budget", I didn't just mean the cost of a villa/house, but housing+food+transportation+visa's+schoolfee's+insurance-costs+ etcetc...

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Your wrote:

I certainly got the point as to what Markit was getting at, and maybe there has been a lot of people who would think it's going to be like going on a long extended holiday, when in reality I know it will certainly have it's ups and downs, by its lime anywhere in the world, life is what you make it.

Dear woman we here in Balipod are renowned for our forthright and unbiased opinion and our willingness to tell people what they don't want to hear. As you may be beginning to understand we have absolutely nothing personal against you or your dear family so when I and all the rest that are nicer than I am try to suggest that your idea of bringing your family to live in Bali a really, really, really bad one is then please try and understand - it is a really, really, really fecking bad idea.

If it was just you and hubby that were willing to endure "life is what you make it" then we would all wish you gung ho and get stuck in. Where the whole thing changes is that we've also all seen waves of idiots with that attitude come and crash in flames.

Frankly I'm tired of watching it happen and I don't give a shite for the parents but the kids are an entirely different matter and the only reason I'm willing go to the effort to write this. Also understand that SiamSam is writing from Thailand, not Indonesia and as he himself says that is most likely an entirely different dynamic and doesn't really relate to Bali, Indonesia - and he is a very lucky bunny IMHO. You in all probability won't be. Are you willing to accept that danger for the lives of your children? If your answer is yes to that then call the adoption agency now, because you don't have their best interests at heart and should be under adult supervision yourself.

Have a nice day
Markit

davita

Mar 13, 2012
So Thumps...you have now met our 'esteemed' markit.

Round here he is known as the Paragon of Information, Laughs, Loves, Opinion, Caring and Kindness.

His acronym is ....PILLOCK!:icon_wink:

When you get to Bali bring some ground-up rotting cheese...like all 'tikus' he grovels for it...that's when you swipe him with your handbag!!!:icon_e_biggrin:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Frankly I'm tired of watching it happen and I don't give a shite for the parents but the kids are an entirely different matter and the only reason I'm willing go to the effort to write this.

Get off your soap-box Markit. The kids will be just fine. I have seen many western kids spend varying lengths of time in Bali, and in my opinion, they are better off after getting this new experience, meeting totally different kids, learning a new language, etc.

So Thumps, push on with your idea, and do not give too much credence to Markit's views on how to educate your kids.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Davita,

I sure hope you've got a rope tied around one ankle.....

Adam...both my ankles are shackled and the key is kept by someone that looks familiar.....looks like the prettier half of your avatar...the one with the longer hair!!!:lemo:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Get off your soap-box Markit. The kids will be just fine. I have seen many western kids spend varying lengths of time in Bali, and in my opinion, they are better off after getting this new experience, meeting totally different kids, learning a new language, etc.

So Thumps, push on with your idea, and do not give too much credence to Markit's views on how to educate your kids.

Dear RonB I would respectfully ask how many children you have fathered?

Thumps

Mar 6, 2014
Thankyou RonB, for your kind words.
I have EVERY intention of following through with our decisions to move ourselves and the kids to Bali, so Markit you can back off and stop with all the preaching, worry about your life, and basically saying we are bad parents.

bakung

May 4, 2011
Thankyou RonB, for your kind words.
I have EVERY intention of following through with our decisions to move ourselves and the kids to Bali, so Markit you can back off and stop with all the preaching, worry about your life, and basically saying we are bad parents.
Ah its good to be back in the laid back paradise of Bali, happy to see Markit still upsetting folks :icon_question:.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Thumps
good luck with the move.
Remember everything you learn't in Australia you can throw out the door, Indonesia is so so not normal.
Take a 2-3 week holiday, look for a international school, when you find the right one they will sponsor your children for there Visa's.
Now look for a villa to rent, that will be easy to get to & from the school. You should be able to rent for $5000-$10,000 aud per year, way to much but Bali price.
Visa's you need a sponsor for social visa(only 180 days) then you will need to leave & enter on new social visa. your husband just VOA.
The only thing you can bring to Bali is what you can put in your suitcase, forget removal companies, have a garage sale.
Medical insurance, try the travel insurance companies for 12 month cover before you go.
Hope this is helpful

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Markit is only being realistic...I have lost count of the shocked and stunned 'Bali lovers' who cannot believe that the 'Island of Gods' has an ugly, malevolent side...oh wait a ...so do I

Thumps

Mar 6, 2014
Thumps
good luck with the move.
Remember everything you learn't in Australia you can throw out the door, Indonesia is so so not normal.
Take a 2-3 week holiday, look for a international school, when you find the right one they will sponsor your children for there Visa's.
Now look for a villa to rent, that will be easy to get to & from the school. You should be able to rent for $5000-$10,000 aud per year, way to much but Bali price.
Visa's you need a sponsor for social visa(only 180 days) then you will need to leave & enter on new social visa. your husband just VOA.
The only thing you can bring to Bali is what you can put in your suitcase, forget removal companies, have a garage sale.
Medical insurance, try the travel insurance companies for 12 month cover before you go.
Hope this is helpful

Thankyou Fred, that information is very helpful. Yes we will definitely sell up everything, not worth the hassle of moving everything. Any recommendation on medical insurance, and as to what companies will insure us for that amount of time?