zoyra

Jun 24, 2010
Bali
Hi all,

Does anybody know if there is a second hand furniture/appliances shop in Bali? I do know about Bali Ad, but is there a warehouse style of shop somewhere? Or even an auction style shop? Thanks.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Hi all,

Does anybody know if there is a second hand furniture/appliances shop in Bali? I do know about Bali Ad, but is there a warehouse style of shop somewhere? Or even an auction style shop? Thanks.
You could try the Ex-Hotel shops. They are all located in Kerobokan. One in jalan Raya Semer near Banjar Anyar (going towards Canggu), one in jalan Marlboro before it becomes jalan Teuku Umar and one in jalan Gatut Subroto on the left side before you get to Denpasar. Mostly second-hand furniture and lamps but they do have some appliances.

zoyra

Jun 24, 2010
Bali
second hand shop

You could try the Ex-Hotel shops. They are all located in Kerobokan. One in jalan Raya Semer near Banjar Anyar (going towards Canggu), one in jalan Marlboro before it becomes jalan Teuku Umar and one in jalan Gatut Subroto on the left side before you get to Denpasar. Mostly second-hand furniture and lamps but they do have some appliances.

Thanks, Mat - I'll have a look there. By any chance, do you know the names of the shops? Thanks again.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Can't remember the name but the signs say "Ex-Hotel Furniture" or something similar to that.
I found a telephone number for one of the Ex-Hotel shops in my phone directory, but I can't remember which shop.:icon_redface:

I suggest you call 0361 482057 and ask them where they're located.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Second hand furniture

Can't remember the name but the signs say "Ex-Hotel Furniture" or something similar to that.

I went to the one in Denpasar, sorry to disappoint, but most items were ridiculously overpriced. An example -3 juta for a round metal table with four chairs, glass top, all pieces rusted and the glass chipped. There is a place on the by pass near sanur that makes metal furniture cheaper than that!!!
:icon_rolleyes:

zoyra

Jun 24, 2010
Bali
second hand furniture

I found a telephone number for one of the Ex-Hotel shops in my phone directory, but I can't remember which shop.:icon_redface:

I suggest you call 0361 482057 and ask them where they're located.

Thanks, Mat - appreciate your info very much.

Scout, thanks for your input as well. Again, do you have the name of that furniture shop (not the second hand one) on by pass? And which part of by pass is it?

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
By Pass

Uhmm heading towards Kuta its on the right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! has beautiful metal screens, tables chairs beds etc out the front. Well past Sanur I think. SORRY have no idea of the name, perhaps someone else has seen or been.
:icon_lol:

zoyra

Jun 24, 2010
Bali
second hand furniture

Uhmm heading towards Kuta its on the right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! has beautiful metal screens, tables chairs beds etc out the front. Well past Sanur I think. SORRY have no idea of the name, perhaps someone else has seen or been.
:icon_lol:

Thanks, no worries, I'll keep on looking to the right side of the road :icon_lol:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It's been my experience from moving around a bit, not just in Bali, that you are better off buying electrical goods new from a discount store. Electrical goods tend to go down in price. Look at how much LCD and plasma tvs have come down in price.

When you move however, you can usually sell these goods for a good price in expat newspapers, magazines. For some reason, people think they are getting a bargain buying second-hand goods, when they could get something better and sometimes cheaper by buying new. :icon_biggrin:

If you ask around friends if they have anything like furniture they don't need anymore, they are often happy to give it to you for free if you pick it up yourself.

Second-hand shops tend to be expensive like others have said and unless you are looking for something unique or different, aren't worth it.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Hi all,

Hello Zoyra,i am not sure what kind of things you are looking for,but in Mas there is an interesting shop for second hand furniture.They repair old things ,mostly from wood.If you drive to Mas from Blabatuh,turn left at the Baby-Buddha T-junction.It is just one or two shops from the corner on the lefthand side.
I do not know what they have at this moment,but in the past i found some interesting things there.

Tory70

Apr 21, 2010
Hi all,

Yes the place is Hotel Trade, but like the other posts...VERY expensive! Best to buy new over here, nothing lasts a real long time anyway!!

zoyra

Jun 24, 2010
Bali
second hand shop

Hello Zoyra,i am not sure what kind of things you are looking for,but in Mas there is an interesting shop for second hand furniture.They repair old things ,mostly from wood.If you drive to Mas from Blabatuh,turn left at the Baby-Buddha T-junction.It is just one or two shops from the corner on the lefthand side.
I do not know what they have at this moment,but in the past i found some interesting things there.

Thanks Hermit, I'll have a look soon. Not really looking for anything in particular, but I just love to browse through vintage/second hand shops/flea market/auction - and was just checking if something like this does exist in Bali.

Second hand furniture disposal and consignment auction warehouses are becoming very popular all over the world these days. Given fthe large number of expats living in Bali, and the transitory nature of many of them (meaning lots of expats buying household goods then having to get rid of them a few months/years later), you would think that there would be quite a good market for this type of shop/service here. Or does Bali just attract a different sort of expat, who are maybe less concerned about waste, recycling and sustainable solutions and more interested in just taking advantage of the relative cheapness of new products on offer here that they maybe could not afford to buy new back in their own countries? Do you think there could still be a market for this type of service/shop in Bali?

niels

May 17, 2011
Hello

I see that most posts in this thread are from 2010.

I am moving in to a house and I am looking for affordable 2nd hand furniture like a bed (not necessarily a matrass), sofa, dining table + chairs, some cupboards / cabinets.

Does anybody know where I would be able to find this?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I have bought some stuff before from friends here and got some good deals. Often though what I have seen for sale in Bali Advertiser, Facebook and even on this site, people value their 2nd goods a little high. Electrical goods/computers etc, the price tends to go down for new products as new models become available, so it often works out cheaper to buy new than 2nd hand. The battery life for laptops/tablets only gets worse and worse, so again I think it is a good reason to buy new.

Do you think there could still be a market for this type of service/shop in Bali?

Maybe. There are some shops doing this, but I don't think it would be easy - low margins and having to store all of that stock somewhere.

connectingbali

Jul 27, 2012
Kuta Bali
buying second hand? I suggest you buy new one, just need check the price and where. some shop charge you "bule price"(expat price)...only need to find shop that sell cheap, my experience second hand in bali not cheap..