Conducting research on the topic of Expatriate

Putu Sri Maharini

Apr 28, 2023
Dear members of Bali Expat Forum,
I am currently a student pursuing a Master's degree in Management and conducting research on the topic of Expatriate. As a part of my research, I would like to ask for your assistance in finding potential subjects to participate in my study.

Title: Study on the Factors Influencing Expatriates’ Choice of Healthcare Facilities, Housing, and Restaurants in Bali

Introduction: I would like to invite you to participate in my research study about the factors that influence expatriates’ choices of healthcare facilities, housing, and restaurants in Bali. The purpose of this study is to understand the factors that affect expatriates’ decisions in selecting these services and to gain insights on how these factors can be improved to enhance the experience of expatriates living in Bali.

Procedures: You will be asked to participate in an online interview through video call or chat platform that will last approximately 30 minutes. There will be a total of 5 questions about your experience as an expatriate in Bali, including your choices of healthcare facilities, housing, and restaurants. The interview will be audio-recorded for accuracy purposes and will be kept confidential.

Risks and Benefits: There are no foreseeable risks to participating in this study. However, the benefits of this study include the opportunity to voice your experiences as an expatriate in Bali and to contribute to the improvement of healthcare facilities, housing, and restaurants in Bali.

Confidentiality: Your responses will be kept confidential and anonymous. All data collected will be used for research purposes only, and will not be shared with any third parties. Only the researcher will have access to the data.

Voluntary Participation: Your participation in this study is voluntary, and you may refuse to participate or withdraw your participation at any time without penalty or loss of benefits to which you are otherwise entitled. You may also skip any question that you feel uncomfortable answering.

Contact Information: If you have any questions about the study, please feel free to contact me at putusrimaharini@gmail.com

Consent: By agreeing to participate in this study, you acknowledge that you have read and understood the information provided above, and that you voluntarily agree to participate in this study.

Thank you for your time and participation.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
".....
Risks and Benefits: There are no foreseeable risks to participating in this study. However, the benefits of this study include the opportunity to voice your experiences as an expatriate in Bali and to contribute to the improvement of healthcare facilities, housing, and restaurants in Bali.

Confidentiality: Your responses will be kept confidential and anonymous. All data collected will be used for research purposes only, and will not be shared with any third parties. Only the researcher will have access to the data....."

That is a bit vague. If your survey seeks personal data such as name, date of birth, country of origin etc then it is impossible to say, " There are no foreseeable risks to participating in this study...." With an ever increasing amount of hacking any survey that includes personal data puts the respondent at risk of identity theft and misuse of information to be sold on for other hackers or commercial purposes. If you were to indicate that no personal data as such would be collected you may have a response.
I remember participating in a survey many years ago after assurances of confidentiality then some while later the company was sold and began selling off the data for commercial enterprise.

Reactions: Padangbai Dennis

Putu Sri Maharini

Apr 28, 2023
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. However, I would like to clarify that I am not conducting the same type of survey or research as the one you participated in. The purpose of my study is to understand the factors that affect expatriates’ decisions in selecting these services and to gain insights on how these factors can be improved to enhance the experience of expatriates living in Bali. Rest assured that I will make every effort to ensure that the data collected is kept confidential and used only for the purposes stated in the informed consent. If you have any concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Thank you for your time and consideration

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Title: Study on the Factors Influencing Expatriates’ Choice of Healthcare Facilities, Housing, and Restaurants in Bali
Wow! that's a real tough one but I'll take a shot at it...

I'm influenced by price and quality.

Make em Better and Cheaper!

That is unless what you really want is to find out how to sell this shit to us better, in that case go piss up a rope.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. However, I would like to clarify that I am not conducting the same type of survey or research as the one you participated in. The purpose of my study is to understand the factors that affect expatriates’ decisions in selecting these services and to gain insights on how these factors can be improved to enhance the experience of expatriates living in Bali. Rest assured that I will make every effort to ensure that the data collected is kept confidential and used only for the purposes stated in the informed consent. If you have any concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Thank you for your time and consideration
I admire your effort. However, I would expect that social media videocall / chat is not something many seasoned expats is keen on (lets say) to point out specific deficiencies in healthcare considering how the ITE law is enforced.

Maybe easier to just visit some expat watering holes w/some forms you can fill in.
Maybe look at forums with mostly fresh off the boat expats that are yet to reach equilibrium between expectations and what is possible in Bali.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balifrog

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021

That is unless what you really want is to find out how to sell this shit to us better, in that case go piss up a rope.
Hey Markit that is funny. How do you piss up a rope? This is obviously a scam looking for personal information to screw somebody. It is well done you have to admit. So they want to know how to improve healthcare facilities. Well first thing they could do is give the staff a proper education how to do the work that's required. Not just chase the coins you have in your pocket. You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar! Do I have to buy the rope?

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
I admire your effort. However, I would expect that social media videocall / chat is not something many seasoned expats is keen on (lets say) to point out specific deficiencies in healthcare considering how the ITE law is enforced.

Maybe easier to just visit some expat watering holes w/some forms you can fill in.
Maybe look at forums with mostly fresh off the boat expats that are yet to reach equilibrium between expectations and what is possible in Bali.
This Bullshit is so deep, you need to wear rubber hip boots!

Putu Sri Maharini

Apr 28, 2023

Thank you very much Markit for sharing your opinion. I appreciate your insights and I agree with the points you have made. However, I would like to ask a few questions for clarification purposes. Your opinion is highly valuable to me and I would like to record it for inclusion in my thesis. I will make sure to write your initial name or code name if you prefer, to ensure your privacy is protected. If you have any further suggestions or would like to discuss the topic in greater detail, please let me know your preferred method of communication. Once again, thank you for your contribution.

Last edited:

Putu Sri Maharini

Apr 28, 2023

Thank you for your input AuroraB, and I appreciate your suggestion. However, I believe that forms may be better suited for quantitative research, whereas my study focuses on exploring opinions and experiences qualitatively. Therefore, meeting in person and recording their opinions would be more beneficial for my research. I understand the importance of privacy, and I can assure you that I will use code names to protect the identities of the expats who wish to remain anonymous. Alternatively, they can introduce themselves using a code name. What are your thoughts on this approach?

Putu Sri Maharini

Apr 28, 2023
Hi Padangbai Dennis, thanks for your thought. Absolutely. Giving the healthcare staff proper training and education is the key to improving the quality of healthcare services. If you don't mind, could you share your thoughts on other topics such as restaurants and housing? Do you think that proper training and education is equally crucial in those areas as well?

Hey Markit that is funny. How do you piss up a rope? This is obviously a scam looking for personal information to screw somebody. It is well done you have to admit. So they want to know how to improve healthcare facilities. Well first thing they could do is give the staff a proper education how to do the work that's required. Not just chase the coins you have in your pocket. You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar! Do I have to buy the rope?
Hi Padangbai Dennis, thanks for your thought. Absolutely. Giving the healthcare staff proper training and education is the key to improving the quality of healthcare services. If you don't mind, could you share your thoughts on other topics such as restaurants and housing? Do you think that proper training and education is equally crucial in those areas as well?

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Not really, I am just going to live in the forest and sleep at the base of tree. The monkeys and me will eat bananas and rip off the people every chance we get.

Putu Sri Maharini

Apr 28, 2023
Putu, you want to know what expats think, what motivate their choices etc...

Hang out in some expat bars and chat with people.

All this video and Zoom shit is not for us old boomers !
I completely agree with you. Thank you for the suggestion. Before I decide to post the informed consent regarding my research on the Bali Expat Forum, I thought that old expats might need a different approach. And I found the answer here, thanks to you. Maybe you could give me some recommendations for expat bars that I can visit? Like Sheppy's Bar and Restaurant? If so, do you think they would be open to chatting with a local Balinese like me?

Putu Sri Maharini

Apr 28, 2023
Not really, I am just going to live in the forest and sleep at the base of tree. The monkeys and me will eat bananas and rip off the people every chance we get.
Sure, that's an interesting plan. I hope you'll be able to find peace and happiness in the forest. Just be careful with the monkeys, they can be mischievous creatures. And remember to stay safe and take care of yourself. May you always be healthy and happy.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Thank you for your input AuroraB, and I appreciate your suggestion. However, I believe that forms may be better suited for quantitative research, whereas my study focuses on exploring opinions and experiences qualitatively. Therefore, meeting in person and recording their opinions would be more beneficial for my research. I understand the importance of privacy, and I can assure you that I will use code names to protect the identities of the expats who wish to remain anonymous. Alternatively, they can introduce themselves using a code name. What are your thoughts on this approach?
I guess you will find most expats within the tourist zones, although quite a few are already integrated into local residential areas. In Sanur there are a big crowd living west of Jl. Bypass inside local residential zone. Apart from hotels, villas and bars you will find expats at the major supermarkets like Grand Lucky.

If you check through posts within this (open) forum using the keywords you are interested in like "hospitals" or "health", "villa" etc. you will get an idea.
There are probably other forums or social media that could be relevant.

Reactions: Putu Sri Maharini

Putu Sri Maharini

Apr 28, 2023
I guess you will find most expats within the tourist zones, although quite a few are already integrated into local residential areas. In Sanur there are a big crowd living west of Jl. Bypass inside local residential zone. Apart from hotels, villas and bars you will find expats at the major supermarkets like Grand Lucky.

If you check through posts within this (open) forum using the keywords you are interested in like "hospitals" or "health", "villa" etc. you will get an idea.
There are probably other forums or social media that could be relevant.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I am aware that some expats may not want to be involved in the research or prefer not to be exposed. However, thank you for the advice you provided. I truly appreciate it.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
You are approaching this in such a sterile manner It's really a turn off! Chill out and relax. We would be happy to give you our thoughts on these subjects, but like Markit said give us some questions and maybe we will answer. Take it easy. Peace