Procedure for getting new Indonesian drivers license SIM A & C valid for 5 years (KITAS holders)

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Procedure for getting new SIM A & C valid for 5 years.

From personal experience today. I have spouse sponsored KITAS:

Satpas Polresta DPS, Jl. Gunung Sanghyang No.110, Padangsambian, Kec. Denpasar Bar., Kota Denpasar, Bali 80117

Medical & Psychological certificates:

A. Medical certificate costs 25k using clinic just outside the gate. They checked my blood pressure and if I was colour blind.
I asked why they did not check my vision and hearing -- no answer offered.
B. Psychological certificate cost 120k (SIM A) and 100k (SIM C) and was done in 10minutes. Some sort of intelligence test and then some questions to find out if I'm easy to wind up. Only one from was filled in, ending up with one certificate for SIM A & another one for SIM C.

Medical clinic is located at the corner Jl Gunung Sanghyang and Gg Jawara. Psychological clinic is just another 40-50m along Jl. Gunung Sanghyang in East direction.

SIM:
For location of SIM office, search for "Satpas Polresta dps" in google map.
I arrived 8am and was told they open 9am. 8:40 they started processing.
Last week I arrived after 11:30am. Already closed "for the day".

1. Outdoor waiting area & desk:
- Get a blue form to be filled out right away (Bahasa Indonesia only)
- Bring copies of documents (passport incl page KITAS/MERP stamps, KITAS, SKTT, medical & psychological certs)
- Get a queue number. Wait until you are called to enter the building.

2. Inside the building there are zones 1 to 7. You name will be called for each applicable zone.

3. Theory tests, zone 5:
I did two tests, one for motorbike and one for car.
30 questions on the computer screen for each test:
- An animation is played showing a traffic situation. Question to answer is written on the screen and via voice (earphones). Bahasa Indonesia only.
- I was not able to follow the written / oral questions (!), so I focused on the animation, using common sense.
- Need to press "Bener" = Correct if traffic situation looks ok, otherwise "Salah" = wrong if something crazy is going on.
- Need 21 out of 30 questions correct to pass each test.

4. Driving tests, zone 6:
- First motorbike: Drive slalom through some very tight cones and a 8 figure. All without stepping foot on the ground. Tip: Practice at home driving very slowly and tight turns.
- Car driving tests: Steep uphill. Full stop and start without slipping backwards. Thereafter some cones and park the car.
- I was not allowed to do practice drives before my test runs.

If you fail any of the tests under 3 & 4, you may have to come to agreement with the police the way forward.

5. Finally pay total 220k and then pick-up SIM A & C (one card for car, and one card for motorbike).

Total around 2 hours. However I did medical and Psychological certificates last week.
SIM validity 5 years, although my KITAS only valid for 1 year (!).
Note dress code for gov. offices.

Last edited:

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Procedure for getting new SIM A & C valid for 5 years.

From personal experience today. I have spouse sponsored KITAS:

Satpas Polresta DPS, Jl. Gunung Sanghyang No.110, Padangsambian, Kec. Denpasar Bar., Kota Denpasar, Bali 80117

Medical & Psychological certificates:

A. Medical certificate costs 25k using clinic just outside the gate. They checked my blood pressure and if I was colour blind.
I asked why they did not check my vision and hearing -- no answer offered.
B. Psychological certificate cost 120k (SIM A) and 100k (SIM C) and was done in 10minutes. Some sort of intelligence test and then some questions to find out if I'm easy to wind up. Only one from was filled in, ending up with one certificate for SIM A & another one for SIM C.

Medical clinic is located at the corner Jl Gunung Sanghyang and Gg Jawara. Psychological clinic is just another 40-50m along Jl. Gunung Sanghyang in East direction.

SIM:
For location of SIM office, search for "Satpas Polresta dps" in google map.
I arrived 8am and was told they open 9am. 8:40 they started processing.
Last week I arrived after 11:30am. Already closed "for the day".

1. Outdoor waiting area & desk:
- Get a blue form to be filled out right away (Bahasa Indonesia only)
- Bring copies of documents (passport incl page KITAS/MERP stamps, KITAS, SKTT, medical & psychological certs)
- Get a queue number. Wait until you are called to enter the building.

2. Inside the building there are zones 1 to 7. You name will be called for each applicable zone.

3. Theory tests, zone 5:
I did two tests, one for motorbike and one for car.
30 questions on the computer screen for each test:
- An animation is played showing a traffic situation. Question to answer is written on the screen and via voice (earphones). Bahasa Indonesia only.
- I was not able to follow the written / oral questions (!), so I focused on the animation, using common sense.
- Need to press "Bener" = Correct if traffic situation looks ok, otherwise "Salah" = wrong if something crazy is going on.
- Need 21 out of 30 questions correct to pass each test.

4. Driving tests, zone 6:
- First motorbike: Drive slalom through some very tight cones and a 8 figure. All without stepping foot on the ground. Tip: Practice at home driving very slowly and tight turns.
- Car driving tests: Steep uphill. Full stop and start without slipping backwards. Thereafter some cones and park the car.
- I was not allowed to do practice drives before my test runs.

If you fail any of the tests under 3 & 4, you may have to come to agreement with the police the way forward.

5. Finally pay total 220k and then pick-up SIM A & C (one card for car, and one card for motorbike).

Total around 2 hours. However I did medical and Psychological certificates last week.
SIM validity 5 years, although my KITAS only valid for 1 year (!).
Seems strange you can get a 5 year on a kitas , normally it should be kitap ??? hmmm

Note dress code for gov. offices.

Last edited:

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Seems strange you can get a 5 year on a kitas , normally it should be kitap ??? hmmm
Well both my SIM shows date in the lower right corner as 12-10-2027, while KITAS expire Sep 2023.
I did not ask specifically, so I assume it is SOP now.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Well both my SIM shows date in the lower right corner as 12-10-2027, while KITAS expire Sep 2023.
I did not ask specifically, so I assume it is SOP now.
I dont see the logic, the sim should follow the length of stay permit .

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I dont see the logic, the sim should follow the length of stay permit .
My SIMs also don't track my Kitap. Instead they were until my birthday, five years and 9 months from when I passed the exams and had them issued. Go figure..