Young Balinese Man wanting to expand his Horizons

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I need your sage advice and perhaps a bit of "hands on" too for a good Balinese person.

I have a very good friend here (Managing Director of a local resort hotel with large western restaurant in Candi Dasa) whose 22 year old son will be coming back from a year work/study in Miami Florida working for a big hotel there. He will be back in November and then completing his F/B Tourism Bachelor's Degree on December 3rd. He then would like to come work/study in Australia in F/B with emphasis on wine/bar/barista (he'd also like to earn some good dosh too, natch)

Need info on best places and visa availability too please.

What do you suggest?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
There is some information here:

There are probably some FB groups your friend can join to get first-hand experience. I am currently applying for a partner visa for my wife. The FB group has been very helpful to get questions answered and getting an idea of processing times. There is a lot of paperwork you need to provide, so get prepared for that. Also quite long processing times:

25% of applications: 17 Days
50% of applications: 42 Days
75% of applications: 82 Days
90% of applications: 7 Months

Also remember salaries are higher, but so are the living costs.

Reactions: matsaleh

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Also remember salaries are higher, but so are the living costs.
And ain't that the truth. Our illustrious Govt will be re instating the excise on fuel at the end of the month.
Reckon $2.30 a litre is going to be normal soon and as we all tend to use our cars a lot it will cause some pain.
Not to mention the rising interest rates.
Typical RBA , late to the party and way too much too quick...

Cheers
Grumpy Ken

Reactions: Linda jane

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
I live in the suburbs of Sydney, plenty of resturants even a few Indonesian always looking for staff, they just have signs outside usually to get in touch by email or come in at x time for an interview.

Also remember salaries are higher, but so are the living costs. - this, I spend $30-$50 a day on food. It is probably worth mentioning a $20-$25 serving of food here is 3x as much as you'd get on your plate in Bali. I don't drive here as public transport is excellent so it's not neccassy to bother with all the traffic and toll roads, we are currently going through a period of astronomical rents and food costs here in Australia. Facilities are great and roads and things like sewage systems are much better than Bali it comes at a high price. I would posssibly even re-assess what country to visit as all your wage will go on living costs IMO. Choose your city carefully as the weather is doing really weird things now too.

I keep seeing on the news they're going to make the visa system more forienger friendly, I think with the change to a Labour government that may manfest, otherwise what others have posted already. The problem is they'll let you apply and if you get declined they still keep your money.

Indoneisan passport is not really the best to apply for a visa to Australia, though with the USA experiance he might have some luck. I've always thought it's very unfair how we can so easily go to Bali but it's so difficult for them to come here.

I can't wait to get back to Bali really!

Last edited:

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Australia is desperate for workers at any level in almost every industry, hospitality being a stand out, but due to our ridiculous, and some might say short sighted, immigration policy it’s been very hard to get a working visa. As your friends son has some qualifications his prospects for getting a visa must be ahead of the pack. if he could apply for a position from Bali or wherever he is and get accepted his prospects would be significantly enhanced, particularly if the prospective employer could back up his application by saying he has a job to come to. I realise that there are a lot ‘if’s’ in my statement but that’s my take on the situation. We have friends who are fruit picking but they are undoubtedly working illegally and being shafted on their salary. Your friend is in a different situation as he wants to further his career and as such must do it legally and get paid accordingly not just earn a quid to send home to the family

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
I need your sage advice and perhaps a bit of "hands on" too for a good Balinese person.

I have a very good friend here (Managing Director of a local resort hotel with large western restaurant in Candi Dasa) whose 22 year old son will be coming back from a year work/study in Miami Florida working for a big hotel there. He will be back in November and then completing his F/B Tourism Bachelor's Degree on December 3rd. He then would like to come work/study in Australia in F/B with emphasis on wine/bar/barista (he'd also like to earn some good dosh too, natch)

Need info on best places and visa availability too please.

What do you suggest?
There used to be a visa available for young people who wanted to come for a working holiday. Don't know if it is still available or the conditions but might be worth checking out.

Reactions: Markit

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Australia is desperate for workers at any level in almost every industry, hospitality being a stand out, but due to our ridiculous, and some might say short sighted, immigration policy it’s been very hard to get a working visa. As your friends son has some qualifications his prospects for getting a visa must be ahead of the pack. if he could apply for a position from Bali or wherever he is and get accepted his prospects would be significantly enhanced, particularly if the prospective employer could back up his application by saying he has a job to come to. I realise that there are a lot ‘if’s’ in my statement but that’s my take on the situation. We have friends who are fruit picking but they are undoubtedly working illegally and being shafted on their salary. Your friend is in a different situation as he wants to further his career and as such must do it legally and get paid accordingly not just earn a quid to send home to the family
So you suggest he get the wanted adds or search online for a place he'd like to work and ask them to support his visa request?

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
So you suggest he get the wanted adds or search online for a place he'd like to work and ask them to support his visa request?
I have a job now but took me a few months to secure when I got back. Most companies expect you to have all your visa stuff in order, even the local resturants flyer in the window type ads usually state you need the right to work in Australia.

Unless you know someone in the company, or the ad states otherwise the job application process is online only here. indeed.com.au seek.com.au https://au.jora.com/ come to mind.

I think he'd have to come here with enough money to survive a month or two but there are definitely jobs here. If he's lived in USA I assumed he can speak at least some level of English? There is resturants in literally every suburb looking for staff, will be a non issue if he can get here on a visa with working rights.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
As a matter of interest I googled "au employment Sydney Hilton Hotel" and there were 38 positions indicated. If you just google Hilton the website does not have a link for employment. If your friend has good English he might make a phone call to the Human Resources Manager at the Hilton and if he were lucky he might get some good insights into how he best go about this quest. Be wary of the many websites offering employment in Aus. Perhaps some may be legitimate but many are just looking for ways to pull money. (If daunted by the cost of an international call he might buy some credit with Skype and then the call would be charged as a local call in Australia. CAUTION: Just buy credit. Do not sign up for Skype membership as they automatically bill each month and devilishly tricky to cancel.)

It has previously been complicated obtaining visas for Australia but the new Labor government is genuinely committed to making working visas more readily available so a much more favourable climate that may benefit your friend.

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Markit from reading your post I get the impression that this young man wants to build a career in the Hospitality Industry. He has been working for a major hotel, has been studying and will have his Degree in Tourism, so he not just a kid of the plane looking for bar work or coffee making, he actually got something to offer an employer that not every applicant will have. Could I suggest that he puts together a CV or resume that looks as professional as this man sounds. Set out his qualifications, job skills, who and where he has worked for,references attached preferably, jump on the net and fire it off the all the HR guys in the major hotels at random. Obviously if he sees a job that fits his skills then have a crack.
Yes the adds in coffee shop windows usually state that you must have a working visa but the jobs this man’s going for are a cut above the ‘walk in and start‘ variety.
Im sure I don’t have to a person like yourself that it takes a bit of effort and a fair bit of bare faced arse to crack what you want in life so pump him up and set him lose and see where he lands.
Goos Luck

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Suggest he takes a look at Seek Australia which seems to be one of the larger online employment classified websites in Oz. If he limits his search to "Sponsorship Hospitality" under "Hospitality and Tourism" classification and then maybe "Management" in the sub-category or "Front Office & Guest Services", there are quite a few companies advertising that offer sponsorship. Can limit by location, if required. Just make sure he checks out the company names on Google before applying, to rule out scammers.

Attachments

• 1664083984336.png
    1664083984336.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Love

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Suggest he takes a look at Seek Australia which seems to be one of the larger online employment classified websites in Oz. If he limits his search to "Sponsorship Hospitality" under "Hospitality and Tourism" classification and then maybe "Management" in the sub-category or "Front Office & Guest Services", there are quite a few companies advertising that offer sponsorship. Can limit by location, if required. Just make sure he checks out the company names on Google before applying, to rule out scammers.
Good suggestion. I just tried this as I also have someone asking me about jobs in Australia. I would change the search query though to 'sponsorship available'

Last edited:
Reactions: matsaleh and Markit

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Brilliant advice!
As a matter of interest I googled "au employment Sydney Hilton Hotel" and there were 38 positions indicated. If you just google Hilton the website does not have a link for employment. If your friend has good English he might make a phone call to the Human Resources Manager at the Hilton and if he were lucky he might get some good insights into how he best go about this quest. Be wary of the many websites offering employment in Aus. Perhaps some may be legitimate but many are just looking for ways to pull money. (If daunted by the cost of an international call he might buy some credit with Skype and then the call would be charged as a local call in Australia. CAUTION: Just buy credit. Do not sign up for Skype membership as they automatically bill each month and devilishly tricky to cancel.)

It has previously been complicated obtaining visas for Australia but the new Labor government is genuinely committed to making working visas more readily available so a much more favourable climate that may benefit your friend.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Lots of good advice here. But you can't beat the tried and trusted ways to find work. That is to collect opportunities. Meet as many people as you can, face to face. Talk to people. Maybe one in a hundred of those opportunities create a result but that one result can change your life. Collect opportunities. Always be positive, look on the bright side of life.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Lots of good advice here. But you can't beat the tried and trusted ways to find work. That is to collect opportunities. Meet as many people as you can, face to face. Talk to people. Maybe one in a hundred of those opportunities create a result but that one result can change your life. Collect opportunities. Always be positive, look on the bright side of life.
" Starts humming the Monty Python tune.."

Seek.com is pretty much the only decent online job website in Oz.
I am not sure if LinkedIn is any good to put your resume out there

Cheers
You have to be old to understand
Ken

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
" Starts humming the Monty Python tune.."

Seek.com is pretty much the only decent online job website in Oz.
I am not sure if LinkedIn is any good to put your resume out there

Cheers
You have to be old to understand
Ken

I was sceptical about LinkedIn after being out of the workforce for many years, but it definitely is the place to go for IT/professional jobs.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I had a note from Linked in a few days a go to tell me, "You're on a roll with your career". This was exciting news as I wound up my business 5 years ago and am retired. Nonetheless, I guess no harm in exploring it for our young Balinese lad.