Traffic in Bali

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Bali priests will not allow flyovers, as they may pass over temple sites and that's taboo in Balinese culture. That's why the underpass was created at Simpang Siur on the way to the airport and not an overpass.
And that's why the Ngurah airport is where it is......the narrowest place on Bali ;)

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
"The mess" comes from the fact that 90% of the roads are barely large enough for 2 cars. Yet you see cars, pick up trucks, vans, trucks, bigger trucks and buses everywhere. How about imposing more vehicle size limits on some roads and enforcing it ? Maybe that's the issue, it can never be enforced?
Whenever I find myself stuck and pissed off in traffic I can't help but wonder what's wrong with people driving cars here ? Really I wouldn't want to drive a car even if I was paid $500/h to do it. Do they lean more towards selfishness? ie I want to drive a car so I will drive a car and f everyone. I don't care about being a nuisance and making people stressed, angry and very late everyday. Or do they lean more towards lower intelligence ? ie what's wrong with driving a car in Bali ?

About the world population discussion I remember watching this video in which Elon Musk say the problem is the opposite of what most people think, including smart people.
I remember thinking this is interesting and wanting to find out more about what he's talking about. But then I realized I have much higher priorities than watching interesting yet anxiety provoking videos about things I have no control over anyway.
Cars are considered massive status symbols in Indonesia. They would rather look cool and rich in their Toyota Fortuner then get to their final destination faster on a motorbike. In my opinion, unless that aspect of culture changes, the traffic problem in Indonesia will never get solved.

Same problem in "car culture" centric cities like LA. Mainstream adoption of public transport is the only way but that will never happen here I reckon.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Have been watching almost daily the progress being made on the construction of the new G-M Toll Road, and the size of it is amazing. According to illustrations there will be 2 lanes each north and south. With the opening up of West Bali this avenue has enormous prospects for developing the over burdened south and alleviate some of the congestion as people, commerce, and tourism move north.
Unfortunately the only fly in the ointment is what happens with all that new south bound traffic as it ends in Mingwi? Right now it takes about 45 minutes just to get from Mingwi to Leos Corner..........ugh!

Reactions: JackStraw

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Have been watching almost daily the progress being made on the construction of the new G-M Toll Road, and the size of it is amazing. According to illustrations there will be 2 lanes each north and south. With the opening up of West Bali this avenue has enormous prospects for developing the over burdened south and alleviate some of the congestion as people, commerce, and tourism move north.
Unfortunately the only fly in the ointment is what happens with all that new south bound traffic as it ends in Mingwi? Right now it takes about 45 minutes just to get from Mingwi to Leos Corner..........ugh!
The plan is completion by 2025 ,if its not delayed like the banyuwangi to malang toll ,3 years + ,we shall see , Im not sure much tourism will move north or west . Some balinese friends of ours bought a substantial piece of ocean side land on the promise of a new airport ,which of course never happened ,and the shortcut is a joke , so they are stuck with it .

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
an airport (which will be in part or most financed by investors) is one thing, a Jalan Tol another. It's like a bypass operation to stay alive. Plus if the old saying "time is money" is accurate, Indonesia loses too much money every day on these congested roads.

If you can drive a relaxed 70-80 kilometer per hour on a highway, so 10-15 kilometer in 10 minutes I'd love to move west. Cleaner air, less stress

I'm confused though with Mengwi. That's a kecamatan right? So it's from Pererenan Beach far up to the north. Gilimanuk-Mengwi is a bit unclear?

Reactions: JackStraw

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
an airport (which will be in part or most financed by investors) is one thing, a Jalan Tol another. It's like a bypass operation to stay alive. Plus if the old saying "time is money" is accurate, Indonesia loses too much money every day on these congested roads.

If you can drive a relaxed 70-80 kilometer per hour on a highway, so 10-15 kilometer in 10 minutes I'd love to move west. Cleaner air, less stress

I'm confused though with Mengwi. That's a kecamatan right? So it's from Pererenan Beach far up to the north. Gilimanuk-Mengwi is a bit unclear?
Not sure where in Mingwi the toll road will end, but it has to be structured to accept the influx of south going traffic as it will merge into existing avenues. Don't know if it is kecamatan but it would seem to qualify in its position with Kapal and Kediri.

Reactions: sakumabali

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
The plan is completion by 2025 ,if its not delayed like the banyuwangi to malang toll ,3 years + ,we shall see , Im not sure much tourism will move north or west . Some balinese friends of ours bought a substantial piece of ocean side land on the promise of a new airport ,which of course never happened ,and the shortcut is a joke , so they are stuck with it .
Tourism in the form of surfers have already begun in recent years to increase their numbers from Balian to Medewi in West Bali. Since the first leg is currently under construction beginning at Pekutatan to Soka it will be certain to encourage that group, and history has shown surfers to have been the precursers of much of today's tourism.
Delays may occur, but the army of earth moving equipment now employed is actually amazing in their daily progress thus far.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021

Drive "relaxed" 70-80km/h? Not in Indonesia I'm afraid. From Java experience the toll roads are much more scary than the other roads.
Entering the fast toll roads tense me up. People drive very fast, use the shoulder for overtaking, tailgating at high speed, erratic lane shifts without signals, many are not focusing at all, using their handphone or are half a sleep etc. All issues that are much easier to manage at the slow roads.

Road rage particularly on the toll roads is quite common, fresh from the press a TNI captain pointing gun at another car a couple of days ago:

The slow roads seems to suit the general mental state better.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Drive "relaxed" 70-80km/h? Not in Indonesia I'm afraid. From Java experience the toll roads are much more scary than the other roads.
Entering the fast toll roads tense me up. People drive very fast, use the shoulder for overtaking, tailgating at high speed, erratic lane shifts without signals, many are not focusing at all, using their handphone or are half a sleep etc. All issues that are much easier to manage at the slow roads.

Road rage particularly on the toll roads is quite common, fresh from the press a TNI captain pointing gun at another car a couple of days ago:

Come on up to West Bali and try the wonderful Raya between Jawa and Bali. Sometimes walking is speedier, but not less hazardous. You will love it!

SebastienJ

Sep 2, 2022
nolimit.consulting

I'm definitely going to miss driving 190-200 km/h on highways in Romania... But gotta give up something for something, right?

Seems like Indonesia has the same highway issue as Romania, takes forever to construct a decent one and then some get postponed even 10 years.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm definitely going to miss driving 190-200 km/h on highways in Romania... But gotta give up something for something, right?

Seems like Indonesia has the same highway issue as Romania, takes forever to construct a decent one and then some get postponed even 10 years.
The difference is that in Romania you've got nowhere to go but you want to get there really quickly and here there's so much to see and do along the way nobody except stressed westerners wants to get there in a hurry. And the roads in most of Indonesia are 1st class, just narrow, as befits a country full of scooter drivers.

Reactions: mugwump

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Yeah, I do recall the wonders of the Autobahn as it stretches east toward that part of Europe and the huge trucks that suddenly signal their desire to change lanes as you begin to pass! There is no choice .................your lane is taken! Shitty as it is I think you are making a better choice.

SebastienJ

Sep 2, 2022
nolimit.consulting
Yeah, I do recall the wonders of the Autobahn as it stretches east toward that part of Europe and the huge trucks that suddenly signal their desire to change lanes as you begin to pass! There is no choice .................your lane is taken! Shitty as it is I think you are making a better choice.
I just want to get out of the place where eurostat says the following:
1664122934743.png
I like the idea of chill driving in Bali last time I was there. The roads are infact in great condition, probably due to the lack of snow and ice and all the salt we throw on them during winter...