Could Indonesia offer a digital nomad type of visa?

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
I know I bang on about it but to me the Amed area is the go, particularly Lipah. Not much there, lovely people, good cheap food, snorkeling, dry climate, no hustlers just nice happy Balinese.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Permit me to elaborate. Over the years a trip to Amed was something looked forward to for numerous reasons, but a couple years back while staying there during an apparent high fishing catch season stayed at a place in near proximity to the road (as if there were locations not close to the road?), and the noise permitted a no-sleep-night. At the same time the flies were everywhere. In fact finding a restaurant without flies was impossible.
Certainly this may only have been a seasonal thing, but how are we to know when and how long?

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
There are absolutely no trucks in this area and no noise at night. There are of course plenty on the way to the coast near Mt Agung where they take the sand from but nothing at all in the Amed/ Lipah area.
As for flies I’ve not noticed them at all but I stay on the beach and for only a short periods of time.
I can’t really comment about the wifi other than to say we do use it satisfactorily to talk to friends etc but on a commercial basis it might be different but the hotel takes bookings etc so it must be reasonably good.
In Villa Bindi our last tenant traded on line so we upgraded the internet for him and it was fine but that is back up in Penestanan, near Ubud.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
There are absolutely no trucks in this area and no noise at night. There are of course plenty on the way to the coast near Mt Agung where they take the sand from but nothing at all in the Amed/ Lipah area.
As for flies I’ve not noticed them at all but I stay on the beach and for only a short periods of time.
I can’t really comment about the wifi other than to say we do use it satisfactorily to talk to friends etc but on a commercial basis it might be different but the hotel takes bookings etc so it must be reasonably good.
In Villa Bindi our last tenant traded on line so we upgraded the internet for him and it was fine but that is back up in Penestanan, near Ubud.
How many months of the year do you reside in the Amed area?

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
I live in Sydney and spend about two months a year in Bali. We have a villa in Penestanan and holiday in Lipah. Obviously most of the members of this forum live, and have lived, in Bali full time so their experience to newbies is invaluable. I only comment on things and places that I have personal knowledge or experience with or on.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I live in Sydney and spend about two months a year in Bali. We have a villa in Penestanan and holiday in Lipah. Obviously most of the members of this forum live, and have lived, in Bali full time so their experience to newbies is invaluable. I only comment on things and places that I have personal knowledge or experience with or on.
My impression of Amed was that with tourism at full blast the traffic would be impossible if one needs to go south to Immigration or offices wherever. A serious consideration if planning to live in the area.

Reactions: mugwump

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I live for the last 15 years about 3/4 hour away from Amed. Lipah has no trucks (shitty, windy road) but with tourism you always have guys/tourists on loud motorcycles zinging up and down during the day - at night, not so much. Flies are a seasonal thing (mostly when the mangoes are ripening, during the windy season -- nowish July/August). Amed doesn't have much in the way of infrastructure - markets or shopping centers - most expats come over the hill to Amlapura so prepare for that regular trip. Other things are now available online (often cheaper, including delivery, than local traders) so that hindrance is gone. In all I'd say Amed is more touristy that the Candi dasa/ Amlapura area with little in the way for expats. Nice views and sunsets though. Going today with fam visiting from UK for snorkeling at Cafe Vienna - best in the area and sunset drinkies to finish off.