Australian man caught overstaying visa for eight years in Bali

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Don't know the exact details, but there is a limit when the offense ceases to be a misdemeanor fine and becomes a criminal offense with the prospect of prison time. He will probably be able to bargain his way out of it if he plays his cards right. But it is still going to cost him some serious money. I'd like to feel sorry for him, but I can't. Stupid plonker.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
But it is still going to cost him some serious money. I'd like to feel sorry for him, but I can't. Stupid plonker.

I've often thought it's a waste of time jumping through all these immi hoops that they set up - 6 monthly visa run to Singsing, yearly appearance at immi for the old age visa, voa try to extend, etc. Why not just find a nice place to hide and stay away from them???

Clearly our friend in the news had a similar idea (oh and some other chap up and died 6 years ago and lay dead in his villa without anyone knowing or caring about his visa or whereabouts) and if his dosh is gone and his house is in someone else's name then more than likely they will just deport him and put a nasty stamp in his passport which will disappear with the next renewal.

And then back he bounces because they sure ain't watching visas.

Worth thinking about.

Yeah, right - stupid plonker...

Reactions: Chris W

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I believe the maximum period for paying an overstay fee is 60 days. After that it becomes a criminal offense and while there is no longer an administrative financial penalty, a deportation order (flight paid for by the deportee - you rot in detention until you can afford this) and a blacklist ban from Indonesia are issued. For more egregious cases, a prison term is also a possibility.

Reactions: Fred2 and matsaleh

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I believe the maximum period for paying an overstay fee is 60 days. After that it becomes a criminal offense and while there is no longer an administrative financial penalty, a deportation order (flight paid for by the deportee - you rot in detention until you can afford this) and a blacklist ban from Indonesia are issued. For more egregious cases, a prison term is also a possibility.
Like this woman who overstayed for 160 days and then slapped an immigration officer when the officer advised her of the fine payable.

BBC - Woman jailed for slapping Bali airport official

• Wow
Reactions: Fred2 and Markit

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
I've often thought it's a waste of time jumping through all these immi hoops that they set up - 6 monthly visa run to Singsing, yearly appearance at immi for the old age visa, voa try to extend, etc. Why not just find a nice place to hide and stay away from them???

Clearly our friend in the news had a similar idea (oh and some other chap up and died 6 years ago and lay dead in his villa without anyone knowing or caring about his visa or whereabouts) and if his dosh is gone and his house is in someone else's name then more than likely they will just deport him and put a nasty stamp in his passport which will disappear with the next renewal.

And then back he bounces because they sure ain't watching visas.

Worth thinking about.

Yeah, right - stupid plonker...
Play by the rules. It will cost you less in the end, not just money but time and stress.
Sure, if you plan to die in Bali and have no contact with anyone, living the hermit life, then take Markit's suggestion. You might save some money. But what happens when you don't die as you planned? Exactly what happened to this stupid plonker. I repeat, stupid plonker.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
That old saying Bali is big but it's small but it's big comes to mind in this case. I'm always surprised how short the "bans" are on the person re-entering, I guess in line with the culture of forgiving?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Play by the rules. It will cost you less in the end, not just money but time and stress.
Sure, if you plan to die in Bali and have no contact with anyone, living the hermit life, then take Markit's suggestion. You might save some money. But what happens when you don't die as you planned? Exactly what happened to this stupid plonker. I repeat, stupid plonker.
If you had any clue how much time it's cost and stress I've been through in the last 14 years getting various visas for this place you would maybe think differently.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
If you had any clue how much time it's cost and stress I've been through in the last 14 years getting various visas for this place you would maybe think differently.
Been there, done that. Sosbud, kitas, voa done it all multiple times including visa runs to Singapore. My last kitas renewal was late and cost me $2000 in fines. I still stand by my statement. Play by the rules, it will cost you less in money and stress.

Off to Amed next week for R&R.
Cheers.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
That old saying Bali is big but it's small but it's big comes to mind in this case. I'm always surprised how short the "bans" are on the person re-entering, I guess in line with the culture of forgiving?
It's actually not so simple and straightforward. A short ban, say six months, is renewed automatically unless/until one enlists local help (eg, an Indonesian friend or spouse and often a lawyer as well) to file and win an appeal with imigrasi in Jakarta to have the ban lifted. I understand that these cases are often difficult and expensive, so a short term ban can effectively become a permanent one.

Reactions: Fred2 and Markit

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Been there, done that. Sosbud, kitas, voa done it all multiple times including visa runs to Singapore. My last kitas renewal was late and cost me $2000 in fines. I still stand by my statement. Play by the rules, it will cost you less in money and stress.

Off to Amed next week for R&R.
Cheers.
When you're in Amed drop me a line and I may let you buy me a beer ;)

britoo

Sep 11, 2018

Not so sure you are right about this

I didn't think this was the case at all ..... thankfully not based on personal experience but second hand account.

As told to me by a guy I know:

He was apparently helped out the door by his nominee a few years pre-covid. He dutifully waited for the 6 months of his 6 month ban to expire before hopping straight on a plane to fight the good fight (days of VOA and waiver still) and upon arrival was immediately detained, turned around and deprted a second time at considerable cost.

The officer explained to him that the "6 month" ban is in fact a permenant ban which remians in force for a minimum of 6 monhs after which it can be challenged and possibly overturned by submitting a (very expensive lawyer supported) legal appeal somewhere in Jakarta . . . . whilst you remian offshore as you cannot get onshore to move things yourself.

Maybe he was a sepcial case but I got the impression this was the norm. He did make it back after a few years and is still fighting the good fight. Retirement bliss old-skool Bali style.

Alas, I think these immigration decisions are made on the somewhat meaner streets of Jakarta and Bali at best offers some grease points but likely has less influence on these outcomes than one might hope.

Reactions: Fred2

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
I'm basing my opinion on 1 German guy I know who got kicked out for renting a room in his house out. He said he had to fight the Indonesian embassy from Germany but was eventually able to return to his spouse. From his story it didn't seem that difficult. He was deported visa cancelled and banned and re-entered all within 12 months and now pretty much permanently lives in Indonesia.

Now that said, that is the only account I know of so you guys may well be right on this topic.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Yea, maybe losers who cheat the system can get away with it. Does that make me feel any better as someone who always tries to do the right thing? NO. I would be happy to see these dickheads permanently banned. Do I really care? Not really. Live your life as a loser if that makes you feel good about yourself. Just stay away from me. I would probably refuse to accept a beer from you. Probably. Maybe.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I would probably refuse to accept a beer from you. Probably. Maybe.
Well we'll never know now. I suspect your inability to sympathize or even imagine the situations others find themselves in and your speed of judgement would make an intelligent conversation nigh on impossible and probably not worth the effort.

Reactions: SamD and Balifrog

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
I'm basing my opinion on 1 German guy I know who got kicked out for renting a room in his house out. He said he had to fight the Indonesian embassy from Germany but was eventually able to return to his spouse. From his story it didn't seem that difficult. He was deported visa cancelled and banned and re-entered all within 12 months and now pretty much permanently lives in Indonesia.

Now that said, that is the only account I know of so you guys may well be right on this topic.

I see your orignal point, I guess, that if you were deported from any of our home countries you'd probably be done for life unless you had heavyweight political connections and certainly a bit of hoop jumping and greasing wouldnt get the job done.

Sounds like your guy had the same experience as mine and got the same result more or less in the same way but had an easier time of it.

In the end, it does seem, you just need some cash and to know which hoops to jump through, at least for a minor offence.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Well we'll never know now. I suspect your inability to sympathize or even imagine the situations others find themselves in and your speed of judgement would make an intelligent conversation nigh on impossible and probably not worth the effort.
What is your definition of an intelligent conversation? Talking with someone who agrees with everthing you say?
I don't sympathize with druggies. I am not judging anyone, just stay away from me that is all (Imean you loser overstayers and druggies). You live your life the way you want.

By the way, when I was suggesting that I wouldn't accept a beer I wasn't talking about you personally. I was talking about the losers who deliberately or stupidly overstay and then think they are victims.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What is your definition of an intelligent conversation? Talking with someone who agrees with everthing you say?
I don't sympathize with druggies. I am not judging anyone, just stay away from me that is all (Imean you loser overstayers and druggies). You live your life the way you want.

By the way, when I was suggesting that I wouldn't accept a beer I wasn't talking about you personally. I was talking about the losers who deliberately or stupidly overstay and then think they are victims.
Cheers.
Ok, hatchet buried.

Reactions: SamD