Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
No problems. Smoke called around today and did it with his teeth. Wonderfully helpful people those Yanks.

Any time mate.I just used a small tactic I picked up while making weekly pick ups in the east side of NYC.

by the way what time is the alligator BBQ
I hear Aussies do that pretty good !

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Talk about Thread Drift - from baking bread to tearing the testicles off a sheep/crocodile.

If anyone is still interested in the OP there are 4 types of flour available locally: 3 are the premium glossy with nice pictures of lovely cakes and goodies @ 11k IDR the 1kilo bag and the other is the generic flour in a generic bag for 8k IDR. So far am unable to make any difference in quality of final product out and have made lots of different breads from coffee to enriched white bread with both types - all are great.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Next time we have a forum get together, Markit, please, please bring some freshly baked bread. I do miss homemade bread :icon_sad:

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Ok..forget bread makers go here and use this recipe for the best sour dough...it works sensationally well. I have Ben making sour dough bread for the last 10 years...

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Here are a few examples.... no kneading just stretching to relax gluttens. Simple to make unbelievable taste

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
I took a loaf to a mates house so he could taste it and start cooking his own. He ate the entire warm putter the oven loaf with butter I plan on bringing some “ mother” over soon so whoever wants some put your ‍♀️..... worst thing I don’t have a oven here

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Any tips on making sour dough starter? I tried and ended up with something that looked like it might contravene chemical warfare regulations. I suspect the daily temps of 30C+ was too much but am very willing and able to learn??

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Any tips on making sour dough starter? I tried and ended up with something that looked like it might contravene chemical warfare regulations. I suspect the daily temps of 30C+ was too much but am very willing and able to learn??
Sorry for delay but been super bz.
getting the starter going is the hardest thing...i got mine from six penny restaurant in Sydney many many years ago. As far as keeping it alive it is basically very ez. take off about 3/4 and add some flour and water to make like a "clag" paste. if its hot it will consume the flour quickly so two feeds a day. in winter once a day. if you plan to make bread daily you can use the part you take off as the starter fo rthe loaf. If you want to comes down to Berawa i can hook yo uup with some. In sydney during summer I used to keep it in a wine fridge during the day and even prove the bread in there as the slower the proving the more flavour i found out. it will last in a proper fridge for about 2 months without a feed. Once you ytake it out after an extended "sleep" she will wake up slowly. Once you get the hang of it she is pretty much indestructable and very forgiving. I keep a small amout frozen in the freezer as a emergency backup. and she will come back from there even.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Sorry for delay but been super bz.
getting the starter going is the hardest thing...i got mine from six penny restaurant in Sydney many many years ago. As far as keeping it alive it is basically very ez. take off about 3/4 and add some flour and water to make like a "clag" paste. if its hot it will consume the flour quickly so two feeds a day. in winter once a day. if you plan to make bread daily you can use the part you take off as the starter fo rthe loaf. If you want to comes down to Berawa i can hook yo uup with some. In sydney during summer I used to keep it in a wine fridge during the day and even prove the bread in there as the slower the proving the more flavour i found out. it will last in a proper fridge for about 2 months without a feed. Once you ytake it out after an extended "sleep" she will wake up slowly. Once you get the hang of it she is pretty much indestructable and very forgiving. I keep a small amout frozen in the freezer as a emergency backup. and she will come back from there even.
I'll give the starter another go - I only fed mine daily and wasn't aware/advised that twice daily in the heat was even possible.
What about the finished bread before the baking - do you use one of the funky forms/baskets for baking the dough in? I was considering using a terracota form like they use here in offerings to bake the bread in. Not having access to the molds they all show.

Will let you know how I get on. Thanks

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
I'll give the starter another go - I only fed mine daily and wasn't aware/advised that twice daily in the heat was even possible.
What about the finished bread before the baking - do you use one of the funky forms/baskets for baking the dough in? I was considering using a terracota form like they use here in offerings to bake the bread in. Not having access to the molds they all show.

Will let you know how I get on. Thanks
They called benetons and they made of simple cane. I use them to prove the bread in then preheat the oven to super hot with a saucer of water for the steam content( crusrtier crust) then tip the dough onto a pizza stone and free bake. The beneton gives the nice lines from the flour u put in it to stop the dough from sticking. Use a cheap razor to score the bread for expansion and there it is.....

Reactions: Markit