If I don't renew my MERV, will my KITAP still be valid?

Monger SEA

Nov 4, 2017
What is the relationship between the MREV (Multiple Reentry Visa) which has a 2 years validity and the KITAP (which has a 5 years validity)?

Those two must be renewed separately.

What if I don't renew the MREV and I want to return inside Indonesia? Will my KITAP still be valid? What kind of visa will I need in that case? Please help me to understand! Thanks!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
1. What is the relationship between the MREV (Multiple Reentry Visa) which has a 2 years validity and the KITAP (which has a 5 years validity)?

2. Those two must be renewed separately.

3. What if I don't renew the MREV and I want to return inside Indonesia? Will my KITAP still be valid? What kind of visa will I need in that case? Please help me to understand! Thanks!

1. It is called a MERP (Multi-Exit Re-entry Permit) and is initially issued with a KITAP but only lasts for 2 years. A KITAP holder can extend the MERP for a further 2 years near its expiration...I just did mine.
2. That is correct.
3. If the MERP is not renewed then, after expiry, the holder will not be permitted to exit Indonesia unless they apply for an EPO (Exit Permit Only).
After exiting Indonesia the KITAP will become invalid and a new visa will be needed to return.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
And if you have a MERP and exit but then don't return you after MERP expires but KITAP still current - what happens?

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
And if you have a MERP and exit but then don't return you after MERP expires but KITAP still current - what happens?
Interesting question, but since the MERP (multiple exit, re-entry permit) has expired and you are still outside Indonesia, when you return you don't have a valid re-entry permit and should therefore lose Kitap...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The whole KITAP/MERP system doesn't make much sense.
Until a couple of years or so ago a MERP for a KITAS/KITAP was not mandatory. They changed that rule so the KITAS/MERP was required but allowed to expire at the same time....previously the MERP expired a month before the KITAS.
The initial KITAP/MERP was also mandated but there didn't appear to be any rule regarding an extension to the MERP after the initial two years. This would appeal to those who had no intent to leave RI for the remaining 3 years but makes it a little complicated for those who do want to exit and re-enter. They need to extend, as I've just done, and then extend again for only one year to complete KITAP # 1.
I wouldn't be surprised if Immigration come up with another rule to change that and charge for a full 5 year MERP with the KITAP....then require all holders to make a report every two years...as they do with the indefinite KITAP # 2.

I have no knowledge or experience but tend to agree with Mark. Without a very good reason I'd think Immigration would invalidate a KITAP whose MERP expired when outside of Indonesia.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
To provide a comparison, Singapore offers permanent residence which is indeed permanent, I guess the same as the lifetime Kitap, however there is re-entry permit that is issued for five (and rarely ten) years at a time. You can stay forever in Singapore as a PR, but if you leave and try to come back on an expired reentry permit, the PR is automatically cancelled.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
To provide a comparison, Singapore offers permanent residence which is indeed permanent, I guess the same as the lifetime Kitap, however there is re-entry permit that is issued for five (and rarely ten) years at a time. You can stay forever in Singapore as a PR, but if you leave and try to come back on an expired reentry permit, the PR is automatically cancelled.

I thought Singapore did not have any specific long-term retirement visas for foreigners like Indonesia or Malaysia does.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I thought Singapore did not have any specific long-term retirement visas for foreigners like Indonesia or Malaysia does.
That's correct, there is no retirement visa as such. PR is typically awarded to certain professional and technical workers contributing to the local economy, plus the spouses of Singapore citizens. In any case, my point was regarding the MERP, which Singapore uses as well.