TV recorders?

harryopal

May 5, 2016
When buying a new TV today I was keen to buy a separate recorder so that I can copy shows on TV now or to be shown over the next week or so. I hate having to sit through 20 minutes of ads an hour to watch a program. I used to have a brilliant little Sony recorder that I could program to record items days ahead and then fast forward through the advts.

None of the stores we went to had recorders. We were told one of the TVs could record on a hard disc using a special purpose USB plug but they did not have that accessory. Is this why all the motor cyclists are half crazy from watching all these dreadful advts?

Anyway, where to get some kind of recorder?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I haven't seen a DVR for many years...they were initially too expensive.
I use el-cheapo dvd players and buy the TV shows for Rp10,000 from the DVD pirate stores.

lush4111

Jul 28, 2015
Try eBay.

Otherwise, the 'special purpose USB' you mention is simply a normal USB or hard drive. Many current TVs have the ability to record onto a USB or hard drive device. Simply connect (I wouldn't go much lower than 360GB or it will fill up very quickly), follow the prompts to format USB so that it is suitable for the TV (this will wipe all the current content on the USB or hard drive) and it can be used as a DVR. Somewhere in the TV settings there will then be an option for any recording to be done onto and external USB or Hard drive. Once this is selected you should be good to go.

Hope this helps

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
None of the stores we went to had recorders. We were told one of the TVs could record on a hard disc using a special purpose USB plug but they did not have that accessory.
The one that could record was probably a 'Smart TV'.
The bit about 'a special purpose USB' was either total BS or misunderstanding.

A 'Smart TV' should be able to output to any external device (like a hard drive). If you want control over programs, what gets downloaded now (or next week), the TV might already have that facility. If not, you can get a 'Set top Box', and plug it in. Like Roku, Chromecast, etc. And they can come on a 'special' USB.
These can also work on many 'older' TVs. Depends on what inputs they have (like HDMI).

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Once all the channels were free to air, came via your antenna, and using a video recorder with timing options and the weekly printed TV guide you could arrange to save Friday night's movie providing you still had it tuned to the desired channel come Friday.

Now it's more complex and content comes via antenna, or pay TV service, or Internet, and content providers like HBO, Netflix, Amazon, etc don't want you to record programs as files that you could then perhaps share via The Pirate Bay. So pay TV services like Indihome provide ways of recording but they hold the copy till you view it and you cannot get hold of it to share as a pirate copy.

As others have said smart TVs or set top boxes have USB so you can add a disk. But recording is not simple as far as I can make out. I Googled to see how to record an HBO show and found https://acethinker.com/desktop-recorder/record-hbo-go.html which is a good read. the first words of their conclusion are "Streaming a live show is hassle– especially for the regular viewers."

So I'm not even going to try. Clearly it can be done because many of the pirate copies have been recorded from TV, often with Full HD and 6 channel surround sound. So I don't really need to do it myself.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Well, the TV we just bought is "smart" TV but unfortunately I'm not. The previous system I was using was with free to air TV and for the first time in my life was able to programme recordings of shows which were yet to go to air. The Sony box displayed all the shows to be seen across the spectrum of channels. You simply pressed a button to record and then there was a list of the various show which were recorded. Run down and select a show... fast forward through the advts and "Bob;s your Uncle." (Actually Bob was my half brother but he karked it early on from cigarette smoking.)

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Well the Sony box was working with an electronic program guide (EPG) which came from somewhere. What country? What TV service? I'm not aware of Indonesian EPGs you could use with a recorder. Indihome and Indovision have guides as part of their services but I don't think the make the guides available to recorders.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
ronb
"Streaming a live show is hassle– especially for the regular viewers."
As that article you linked to pointed out, screen-grabbing software is an option. It’s not really all that difficult (maybe for some people).

There may also be other options. For example, I have a free piece of software called iViewRIipper. It enables you to download TV programs/epsodes from all ABC channels on iView. Works great (and is fast, once it gets going – about a minute or two to download its latest database). The only ‘catch’ is that you need to be able to access iView channels from Australia, as if you’re there. A good VPN connection to an Australian server is the way.

There might be other similar software that targets Netflix, HBO, etc, but I don’t know (haven’t searched because I’m not particularly interested).

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I've seen a place in Sanur that can copy VHS tapes to other media (such as CD/DVD etc). Not sure what they 'convert' and save them as, but if they don't do mp4, it's easy enough to do yourself. I know where it is but can't remember what's its called. Next time I drive up that street, I'll check.
These are two others in Denpasar (I've also seen some advertised in Seminyak and Kuta).

Bali Photos Videos

Pandawa Studio Jl. Mountain. Muliawan V no 8 Denpasar.
(Behind Tiara monang maning) Tel / WA: 085 237 056 858

VHS.jpg

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Yes, the second one is Alit.
The image I loaded comes up bigger, if you're logged in to this forum.

WP Alit Studio
Jl Trengguli Gang 1/5 Br. Pasar Kelod, Penatih
TEL: 0361-7908085
(I don't know if the address/phone numbers are current.)

What do you mean by:
and there is no jl mountain....

hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali
Yes, the second one is Alit.
The image I loaded comes up bigger, if you're logged in to this forum.

WP Alit Studio
Jl Trengguli Gang 1/5 Br. Pasar Kelod, Penatih
TEL: 0361-7908085
(I don't know if the address/phone numbers are current.)

What do you mean by:
thanks again. It is Jl. Gunung...

Harry08

Dec 5, 2017
> "Well, the TV we just bought is "smart" TV"

Nice, but what model/brand?
Usually, when device is called smart, they mean severe PITA and security risk. Never mind that for now.
Just name the brand and model and lets see what you can do with that PITA you bought :)

> TVs could record on a hard disc using a special purpose USB plug...

Probably an external HDD/NAS etc. Not going to speculate before I know the brand and the model.

Cheers!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
A smart TV is one that can be connected directly to the internet for streaming of content. It is connected either by a cable from your modem to the TV (this cable can be a custom-made long one like 20 or 50 metres) or by Wifi if the signal strength is good at the TV end.

Security risk? - maybe in the same way smart phones are a risk. For example look at https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/09/if-...e-a-closer-look-at-your-privacy-settings.html

PITA - isn't that all in your mind?

Harry08

Dec 5, 2017
LG 43". Not sure model as we won't take delivery until we move next week.

You don't know what you bought? Mmm... OK :)

Regardless, you got HDMI and USB so if you keep vid's on a external HDD or a laptop, you can stream this stuff easily.

Maybe it's best if you get yourself a DVR that works with your TV (most do)