Looking at rental houses

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
I am in Sanur now but am about a year away from moving over.

I will only be 50 so will need to leave every couple of months.
I can rent out my house for $25,000 a year.
I will have an additional $50-60k a year on top from savings then my pension will hit at age 60.

Just to get an idea of what prices get what is it ok to look at 2-3 houses or is that not ok when I won’t be renting for another year?

With long term leases such as $250,000 for 25 years. Do you pay all upfront or can you usually negotiate a paying annually or even 5 years etc?

I would then want to rent for one year with a option of then buying the full lease. Is this possible and what am I missing ( I am sure there’s lots I don’t know or haven’t concidered )?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
If you're in Sanur then I suggest approaching a recognised English-speaking realtor and discuss your needs. Realtors are hungry and willing to deal with any potential clients wanting to rent or buy.
I would rent short-term at first, monthly or annually.....but it nearly always needs upfront cash.
Looking for an option to purchase a long-term lease will require research.
If you are buying the leasehold title (Hak Pakai) then it's the same as buying any property and requires upfront cash or a mortgage (very difficult)...its just the title to the land is for a predetermined period.
If you are just renting on a long-term lease without any title...that's just a contract between yourself and the owner...and can be negotiated.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi Merger, slowish response.
If you are buying the leasehold title (Hak Pakai) then it's the same as buying any property and requires upfront cash or a mortgage (very difficult)...its just the title to the land is for a predetermined period.
Yes you pay upfront. You are leasing land. You will own and maintain buildings.

If you are just renting on a long-term lease without any title...that's just a contract between yourself and the owner...and can be negotiated.
Yes. It is helpful to know the landowner, and trust him. The lease may have clauses about an extension. Do you trust that he will honour this. Is it important?

Looking for an option to purchase a long-term lease will require research.​
Yes. At the end of the term if you cannot extend your investment is worth $0. Getting your head around this is a challenge.​

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Thanks Davita and Ronb,

Really helpful. We have spent a little time looking an Renon which is near Sanur but out of the main tourist area.
We are looking at spending a month there next year in either a small house or nice kost. If tha t goes well I will take a year off work about 6 months later and we will look into a few areas and maybe stay a month or two in each. If that goes well then I might pull the plug and stay from that point. This seems a safer option than getting into a long lease from day one and gives time to build a network.

Any suggestions on areas to look at. One of my considerations would be internet availability and reliability ( if that’s achievable ).

Cheers

harryopal

May 5, 2016
That sounds like a plan.
The internet can be fitful wherever you are. You might get yourself a device like Huwaei which will pick up the internet for you often more reliably than many of the Kos or hotels.

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Mthink given my age (will be 50), I will just look at a year’s rental and see how it goes. Given I won’t be able to get a retirement visa so young I will likley look at social visa or tourist and leave every 60 days.

Do these relate a problem with renting ( or arranging electric etc.)?

We will be renting out our Au hous and this should cover Bali rent. This would leave us In excess of $40k for the year ( exclusive all flights ). From what I read this should be very doable -in fact we don’t spend that much in Adelaide!! Re there things we are missing to add to our list?

Housing
Utilities
Banjar
Rubbish collection
Flights
Visas
Food & drink
Cleaning services ( or maid )
Clothing
Entertainment ( tv, Internet, outings)

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Mthink given my age (will be 50), I will just look at a year’s rental and see how it goes. Given I won’t be able to get a retirement visa so young I will likley look at social visa or tourist and leave every 60 days.

We will be renting out our Au hous and this should cover Bali rent. This would leave us In excess of $40k for the year ( exclusive all flights ). From what I read this should be very doable -in fact we don’t spend that much in Adelaide!! Re there things we are missing to add to our list?

Housing
Utilities
Banjar
Rubbish collection
Flights
Visas
Food & drink
Clothing

Last night we come back to Bali from 6 days in Adelaide. It was our first visit but we loved the place. If I had a nice life in Adelaide I wouldn't trade for living in Bali.
It's maybe cheaper to live in Bali but the quality of life in Adelaide would be hard to beat.

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
Last night we come back to Bali from 6 days in Adelaide. It was our first visit but we loved the place. If I had a nice life in Adelaide I wouldn't trade for living in Bali.
It's maybe cheaper to live in Bali but the quality of life in Adelaide would be hard to beat.
Davita, just curiosity, what did you like about Adelaide? and what kind of things you found the quality of life was that great there?
terimakasi

davita

Mar 13, 2012
1. The city is clean and organised...particularly traffic.
2. The streets are walkable everywhere.
3. The downtown market, below the Hilton hotel, had every kind of food desired and cheese was cheap....:)
4. The beaches go for miles and are clean from debris.
5. The restaurants are inviting although I thought expensive by Bali comparison.
6. Houses looked immaculate but those in the centre of town were expensive. Apartments seemed reasonably priced.
7. We went touring, wine-tasting and stayed one night on a farm in the south of the city and the scenery around was breathtaking.
8. There is a lot of culture and tradition abound with statues, sports-stadiums, parks etc....and children were safely playing everywhere.
9. It was a hot +33deg. but I was told that was higher than should be for November. We might return next year and see what it's like in winter.

Reactions: Melati

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I worked for a summer in Adelaide in my 20s and going home each evening caught a bus with destination marked as "Paradise." I often wondered what would happen if I stayed on to the end of the line.

Yes, Adelaide is a pleasant place and all the comments from Davita are true but for me I just couldn't afford to live there or almost anywhere in Australia on the old age pension. I have read of pensioners eating tinned dog food. Bali certainly doesn't measure up for traffic, cleanliness or walkable footpaths but we can live here and enjoy a much better standard of living on limited funds.

Reactions: hecta

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I worked for a summer in Adelaide in my 20s and going home each evening caught a bus with destination marked as "Paradise." I often wondered what would happen if I stayed on to the end of the line.

Yes, Adelaide is a pleasant place and all the comments from Davita are true but for me I just couldn't afford to live there or almost anywhere in Australia on the old age pension. I have read of pensioners eating tinned dog food. Bali certainly doesn't measure up for traffic, cleanliness or walkable footpaths but we can live here and enjoy a much better standard of living on limited funds.

I agree and think I made that point in my post #7.
I'm not poor but in Vancouver our lifestyle was just comfortable and I had to budget. Here in Bali, on the same income, we can live a much higher lifestyle and not even consider affordability.
My point was...... if I could afford a similar lifestyle in Vancouver, or Adelaide, I wouldn't choose Bali.

Last edited:

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
1. The city is clean and organised...particularly traffic.
2. The streets are walkable everywhere.
3. The downtown market, below the Hilton hotel, had every kind of food desired and cheese was cheap....:)
4. The beaches go for miles and are clean from debris.
5. The restaurants are inviting although I thought expensive by Bali comparison.
6. Houses looked immaculate but those in the centre of town were expensive. Apartments seemed reasonably priced.
7. We went touring, wine-tasting and stayed one night on a farm in the south of the city and the scenery around was breathtaking.
8. There is a lot of culture and tradition abound with statues, sports-stadiums, parks etc....and children were safely playing everywhere.
9. It was a hot +33deg. but I was told that was higher than should be for November. We might return next year and see what it's like in winter.
thanks for taking the time to answer my question Davita

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
I agree and think I made that point in my post #7.
I'm not poor but in Vancouver our lifestyle was just comfortable and I had to budget. Here in Bali, on the same income, we can live a much higher lifestyle and not even consider affordability.
My point was...... if I could afford a similar lifestyle in Vancouver, or Adelaide, I wouldn't choose Bali.

I like a bit of adventure having moved to Adelaide from the UK 12 years ago. I am looking for a new change and to be honest a rest from a highly stressful job. I can’t afford to retire at my age in Australia but I can likley afford a good lifestyle in Bali. For me it will be to trial for a year and either stay or go home. I am in the lucky position that I can make those choices.

Yes Adelaide is a nice small city but I am looking for something else at the moment, I will retain my Adelaide house to rent out.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi Metter.
Re: your age and retirement visa.
For the RI retirement Kitas it is a requirement to be 55 years old but, as the visa needs to be sponsored by an agent and thus costs more than a DIY, I know an Australian persuaded his agent to get him the visa before age 55...just FWIW.

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Hi Metter.
Re: your age and retirement visa.
For the RI retirement Kitas it is a requirement to be 55 years old but, as the visa needs to be sponsored by an agent and thus costs more than a DIY, I know an Australian persuaded his agent to get him the visa before age 55...just FWIW.

Thanks Davita,

Any specific risks with this approach?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hello...you say you're an adventurer and now ask me about specific risks....are you schizophrenic?
Adventurous people throw those risks aside and move to a better place...I was one!
Grab your adventure and go with it...don't hesitate on trivia..

Last edited:

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017

Housing
Utilities
Banjar
Rubbish collection
Flights
Visas
Food & drink
Clothing
Gday Metter, I am thinking you may have missed one , from your list, 30% govt tax on overseas income, maybe this is worth pondering.

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
I am visiting Bali soon to visit family and am considering what it would be like living there, have to consider education would my son have, security for ourselves, living standards, crossing to Java safely via ferry and advised to watch out for mafia hanging around there by my bro in law, suitabe accommodation, which part of the island to live and of course govt tax so much to tink of yet I still wonder , tinking of your future Bali adventures Metter all the best T.

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Hello...you say you're an adventurer and now ask me about specific risks....are you schizophrenic?

LOL, not that i am aware of. I meant regarding the possibility of getting a retirement visa under 55 and what action might be taken if say this was challenged at immigration.

Sorry should have been clearer in my post

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Gday Metter, I am thinking you may have missed one , from your list, 30% govt tax on overseas income, maybe this is worth pondering.

Thanks Teddybear,

I will be using saving and that seems relatively safe, I won’t be earning either so hopefully will stay below any radar.