The blame game

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It seems strange to me that tourists always get blamed for Bali's woes, especially with most of the economy dependent on tourism.

http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/busin...urists-blame-balis-increasing-water-waste-and

And I have always wondered about this statistic:

Official data reveals a single tourist uses 1,785 litres of water per day compared to the 14 used by a local Balinese. Consumption skyrockets to 4,000 litres a day for hotels.

How can you explain why a tourist uses so much water? Extra long showers? I mean you don't see tourists hosing down the roads/their driveway. If everyone started using rainwater tanks instead of the ground water, that problem could almost be solved overnight.

Reactions: matsaleh

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
We have touched on a similar subject sometime in the past,its not just a shortage of water we are responsible for ,,its everything,i have mentioned this before,there is a documentary online,i believe its by aljazeera ,,its an eye opener,,,

Faris Fals

May 7, 2017
whats the name of the documentary?
can you recall?

Official data reveals a single tourist uses 1,785 litres of water per day compared to the 14 used by a local Balinese. Consumption skyrockets to 4,000 litres a day for hotels.

Could it be that the key word is "uses"?
Maybe it is because practically you "use" water to swim.. if tourists then swim 127,5 times the distance of a local Person *on average
then the numbers could make more sense.
Since some tourists don't swim a lot, the 1785 litres could represent the water that is in direct contact with the swimmer per day,
while the 14 litres would be the same amount just calculated by averaging the water that locals come in contact with..

Another thing would be the humidity and sweating of tons of water by foreigners, but I am not as qualified as the people gathering and calculating the 'official' data here. I am not from here.. so what do I know :(

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Sorry i can`t remember,i thought it was done by aljazerra and possibly is,i came across it while searching for something else,so somewhat by accident,i do know it was on a site called topdocumentaryfilms.com,,there are hundreds of free docs on there but looking for one in particular without having the right name is almost impossible,

Reactions: Faris Fals

Faris Fals

May 7, 2017
Thanks for the advice!
What exactly was the topic of the documentary? If I find it you owe me one Oleh-Oleh.
:D:D:D

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Sure not a problem,i would also like to watch it again,i hope you have more success finding it than i`m having,,and i have been trying ,however if you need a break while searching take a look at this doc,,,The dark side of Paradise,,mental Illness in bali,,,,,and while watching it keep in mind the vast amounts of money flowing into the island every year from tourism and try to understand why this type of thing is happening,,let me know your thoughts after viewing,,

Reactions: Faris Fals

Faris Fals

May 7, 2017
Hehe, I actually already watched this documentary a few years ago..
Yes, well I think that it might be this way due to a social structure of Balinese or Indonesian society that is
very vulnerable to things like corruption and also to quite radical capitalism.
The money just doesn't arrive where it is needed..
And as long as people don't talk about it and don't try to expose the people who swallow all of the sweets then nothing will change..

Let's all try to do our part..

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
I agree with you up to the part where you say lets all do our part,as foreigners we `dont have a part,the locals themselves don`t even seem to have a part,other than suffer on,as for the rest of us the only part we are doing is supplying more candies for those who take them all for themselves,