Paris Cat Jazz Club

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Hey, everyone! When I first heard that Melbourne's famous jazz club Paris Cat was opening up a location in Seminyak, I could quite excited. The website says they were supposed to open a month or two ago but I believe that hasn't happened yet. I know this is probably a stretch, but has anyone heard any updates regarding the opening of this venue?

Hope to see some of you fellow jazz lovers there some day.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I can check with the owner. I was invited to the opening but didn't go.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Jack...I live near so I'll swing by and report back my findings.
Booked for Saturday night....will report.

Reactions: JackStraw

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Thanks Jack...I live near so I'll swing by and report back my findings.
Booked for Saturday night....will report.
Sounds good davita. I look forward to your extensive and detailed report! Don't forget to have a little fun though.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
So visited Paris Cat jazz bar last night and in a word "Disappointing."
The place from outside looks unfinished...it has a huge sign which says "Coming Soon"
I talked with the doorman and said I had made a reservation. The steep stairs to the first level are concrete and very uninviting. The bar and lounge area is very nice and cozy, air conditioned and smokeless. We were the only customers there at 9:00pm.
We two guys ordered Bintang from the menu but told not in stock...only some San Mig Cerverza @ 60,000 per small bottle. My friend ordered one and I ordered Plaga Rosé @ 70,000 for a 2 sip glass. The ladies ordered soft drinks.
We took a trip to the roof bar which I didn't find very inspiring....it was a roof! The bathrooms are nice.

The band (drums, bass and guitar) started at 9:15 as advertised, played a couple of standards..while we ordered 2 more 2 sip glasses of Plaga Cabernet which was almost undrinkable....lucky there wasn't much in the glass
I thought the drummer was excellent but looked disinterested in playing and more excited with his i phone which he kept looking at, even doing a paradiddle....he WAS good,.
A lady got on stage and introduced the band but most of the customers by then appeared to be guests of the band and all knew each other.
She started to sing and she was so bad I paid the bill (Rp489,720) and we left. The staff were very good.

We went to Zappas in Jl Laksmana and had cold Bintang and BIG glasses of wine..... and the place was hopping with some blonde lesbians in football jerseys....giggling and dancing with each other and pulling up their partner's jerseys.

Reactions: JackStraw

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks for that. Reinforces my decision not to live anywhere near the south. I do go out there once in a great while and find it very hit-or-miss. One night (say a Friday) you go in somewhere and the place is heaving but 2 weeks later also on a Friday dead as a door nail and half a mill for a few shitty drinks!

Won't be going until it gets going in a year or 2, supposing it will still be there.

Anyone else noticed that the death toll of restos here seems to have accelerated? Last week saw 3 that were selling all their kit amongst which was Lilzbah's "renown" for burgers/ribs/bad service according to the reviews.

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
So visited Paris Cat jazz bar last night and in a word "Disappointing."
The place from outside looks unfinished...it has a huge sign which says "Coming Soon"
I talked with the doorman and said I had made a reservation. The steep stairs to the first level are concrete and very uninviting. The bar and lounge area is very nice and cozy, air conditioned and smokeless. We were the only customers there at 9:00pm.
We two guys ordered Bintang from the menu but told not in stock...only some San Mig Cerverza @ 60,000 per small bottle. My friend ordered one and I ordered Plaga Rosé @ 70,000 for a 2 sip glass. The ladies ordered soft drinks.
We took a trip to the roof bar which I didn't find very inspiring....it was a roof! The bathrooms are nice.

The band (drums, bass and guitar) started at 9:15 as advertised, played a couple of standards..while we ordered 2 more 2 sip glasses of Plaga Cabernet which was almost undrinkable....lucky there wasn't much in the glass
I thought the drummer was excellent but looked disinterested in playing and more excited with his i phone which he kept looking at, even doing a paradiddle....he WAS good,.
A lady got on stage and introduced the band but most of the customers by then appeared to be guests of the band and all knew each other.
She started to sing and she was so bad I paid the bill (Rp489,720) and we left. The staff were very good.

We went to Zappas in Jl Laksmana and had cold Bintang and BIG glasses of wine..... and the place was hopping with some blonde lesbians in football jerseys....giggling and dancing with each other and pulling up their partner's jerseys.

Wow, thanks for your detailed report there. I appreciate you sacrificing your night for what seems like an underwhelming experience. Hopefully they work out the kinks and it becomes a legitimate place for good jazz on the island. The expensive drinks are also a huge turnoff for me. Zappas sure sounds like a good time though...

Baligirl22

Jul 25, 2017
Hi guys, I went along last week to a tribute night and had an amazing time. The venue was delightful, transported me back to Paris and although I love Bali, it made me feel like I was in Europe. The meatballs were fantastic and the cocktails just perfect. I enjoyed the show and the staff were really accommodating. It actually exceeded my expectation so I would highly recommend checking the place out. The show was great.

Baligirl22

Jul 25, 2017
I'm not sure when it opened but maybe the place was too new and still finding its feet. 5 Stars from me ;)

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi guys, I went along last week to a tribute night and had an amazing time. The venue was delightful, transported me back to Paris and although I love Bali, it made me feel like I was in Europe. The meatballs were fantastic and the cocktails just perfect. I enjoyed the show and the staff were really accommodating. It actually exceeded my expectation so I would highly recommend checking the place out. The show was great.

That's good news...I did my report soon after it opened so I'm glad you've posted an update.
Can you recall the price of drinks?
Btw... welcome to the forum

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Probably just me,but don`t you guys find it unusual that a new member who just joined 2 days ago would be researching posts from four months ago ?

WHY

Because i used to know a lady in Sanur about 8 yrs ago who`s job it was to frequent live music bars in the area, mingle with the customers and tell them how great her friends bar was and inviting them to come check it out,her friends bar was dying a fast death at the time,however it lasted about another 6 months before closing,

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Heh! Dave don't be such a cynic. She clearly saw my avatar and became so besmirched by my devilishly good looks she was interested to get to know me better and struck up a conversation about my interests in jazz. Happens to me frequently....:D

Ok! now's about the time you'll tell me that baligirl22 is a well known pedophile who frequents jazz clubs looking for devilishly good looking guys.:eek:

Reactions: Nydave

Baligirl22

Jul 25, 2017
That's good news...I did my report soon after it opened so I'm glad you've posted an update.
Can you recall the price of drinks?
Btw... welcome to the forum
Thanks - am glad to be here. I can't remember the exact prices of the drinks, they weren't too expensive though and remember the cocktails were really yummy.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thats it Davita,now why didn`t i figure that out myself,

Nydave...I see the problem. You and I share being debonair, handsome hunks that the ladies find so attractive....but you've had a dose of reality and humbled yourself whereas I'm still living the dream...and obstinately refuse to get my head out of the cloud.
I've been told so many times that I don't look my age that I can understand pedophiles finding me attractive....even as I just turned 80 last month.:cool:...o_O

Last edited by a moderator: