importing farming equipment into Bali

Kev62

May 17, 2017
Hello,
I am hoping to move to Bali soon and start an organic farm, I will need a walk behind tractor and various implements. Does anybody know if there is a distributor for this kind of farming equipment in Bali? If not, how are the Balinese Customs on importing such items?

This is the kind of tractor I will need: TCM238.jpg

Any advice much appreciated,
Kev

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
bali_105.jpg

They already have walk behind tractors in Bali.

OUt of interest, have you sorted out all your visa requirements yet and are aware of the laws regarding working in Indonesia? Personally, the thought of setting up a business like that in Bali would scare me to death. There is just too much bureaucracy involved and I'm sure you just can't buy/rent a piece of land and start digging it up. You DO have local contacts, I assume?

Good luck with your venture.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
You can definitely get farming equipment like that in Bali. I've seen them out in the paddies. Maybe not the exact same as that one though. The ones I've seen don't look as "beefy" as the one in your photo.

I second what SamD said.

Just out of interest, have you ever visited Bali before?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I gotta ask why the first thing someone would do to start a sustainable, organic, eco friendly business is to ask about importing a big ass expensive tractor?

Kev62

May 17, 2017
Thanks for your replies,
Good to know that sort of equipment is available in Bali. I will be over there in a month or so, so I can have a good look around and consult with our Notary re R&R for farming.
I have been living and working in Indonesia since 2002 and am married to a National for 13 years. Regular visitor to Bali, have owned farmland 30 mins drive North of Ubud since 2008, Alt is 3000 feet above sea level so will be OK for veggies. We have let a local use it for free grazing all of this time.
The "Big ass expensive tractor" will be used to surface till, harrow and mulch, I need a cost effective solution to prepare growing beds, so the prep time is a fraction (<2%) of the overall crop cycle for any given bed. The land is quite large in size, so mechanization is a must, the carbon footprint of a new machine is much less than that of any car and probably most older motor's, so i'm OK with that. Type of seed, fertilizer, pest and disease control employed will all be 100% organic.
Thanks again for your replies and comments,
Kev.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Oh yeah, I just remembered that I've seen them advertised in some of the local newspapers.

Good luck with everything.

Kev62

May 17, 2017
Just as an afterthought,
I have another plot (75 Are) about 20Km North of Ubud which I may consider selling.
Is this the place to advertise it?
Thanks,
Kev.

Kev62

May 17, 2017
Most people hire someone else to plough their fields,at least in Jawa...
Appreciate that, but preparation of vegetable growing beds involves a lot more stages than ploughing. If it were as simple as just ploughing with a cpl of oxen I would not hesitate to have it done by locals however, until such time as I can fully train workers to do it exactly how I need it doing, I will have to do it myself. Not a massive job with the right equipment :)
Thanks again for your input.
Kev