Water Filtration System

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
May have asked this before here or not but that's the beauty of Alzheimers (every day brings new things).

I'm getting sodding tired of schlepping big feckoff water bottles around and would like some recommendations for a decent and not too expensive water filter system for turning my well water (OK, no septic tanks anywhere near) into potable drinking water.

My back thanks you...

Reactions: Bagus Kusuma

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Iv been using purit from unilever for 4 years , no problem , 650k manual fill , if you want a direct connection to the pipe they have a system costs around 2.5 juta

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
I hate as well to see sooooooo much plastic bottles around all the time, it seems like not body worry about that or get upset as I do, I am the only one feeling something about that or seeing it not good.........

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I hate as well to see sooooooo much plastic bottles around all the time, it seems like not body worry about that or get upset as I do, I am the only one feeling something about that or seeing it not good.........

yap , also the bloody big trucks constantly moving gallons around breaking the already sad roads ,polluting the air with their badly serviced diesel engines , best thing we ever did cleaning up the water from the tap.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Iv been using purit from unilever for 4 years , no problem , 650k manual fill , if you want a direct connection to the pipe they have a system costs around 2.5 juta
Sounds good. How often do you have to change the filter and how much does it cost?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
We go through about a "gallon" a day (not sure how big that fecking plastic bottle is but it's shitloads more than a gallon). So you just pour it in the top and wait for it to percolate out the bottom?

How long does a charge last for?

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
unilever purit system , manual cleans 1500 litres , price around 200k for filters, lasts us around 4 months , ya it depends on usage , its a darn site cheaper than aqua , and of course you dont have to haul gallons around the house and give yourself a hernia !

great gravity fed fed system , unilever deserve a medal for this , in my opinion , they sell in most of the developing countries where water purity is one of the biggest killers , with the usual suspects cholera , river blindness , diarrhea etc etc etc .

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
unilever purit system , manual cleans 1500 litres , price around 200k for filters, lasts us around 4 months , ya it depends on usage , its a darn site cheaper than aqua , and of course you dont have to haul gallons around the house and give yourself a hernia !

great gravity fed fed system , unilever deserve a medal for this , in my opinion , they sell in most of the developing countries where water purity is one of the biggest killers , with the usual suspects cholera , river blindness , diarrhea etc etc etc .

Where did you buy it? do they have as well the simple ones for the tap?
Has anybody check Kopernik in Ubud, close to the Arma Museum?

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
honestly I would not trust a small company re clean water , unilever are a worldwide company with a reputation they would never damage by producing a product which doesnt work, you can buy in lotte mart, hyper mart , carfor and mitra building supplies.

they dont produce small units like jugs because of the complexity of the filtration system, ya it has to be practical for a family

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
I googled and I saw the ones for the tap, which are really simple, are they as good as the expensive, big and complicate ones? the ones just connect it to the tap

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
with all the nasties in the water here , chemicals feces etc etc etc ,I think you need at the least a system like the purit ,because its guarenteed to work the jugs are not .

wepro

Nov 8, 2005
Canggu
no Melati.
Those simple ones for the tap just keep back small solid particles but nothing else. No bacterias etc.
If it would be so simple why anybody should invest a lot of money for a filtration system?

Werner

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thank you all for your kind advice and information and I'm now the proud owner of the 9 liter Purit system from Unilever.
I looked at all the various options and decided that was the best one for me as it provides easy access to as much or as little pure water as I want without the taste changes that are associated with UV light purifiers.

I'm happy to report the taste is great and the throughput is good. Takes about 45 minutes for the full machine to purify the water and it's always available when you need it.

Not sure about re-supply of all the filters or costs but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Again thanks and the Purit System is now on special at Lottemart for 630k with pass (online I saw them for 450k but they were strangely out of stock :)

Reactions: BobBallBali

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
good decision mate , I realize you live in the "sticks" if you dont fancy coming south to purchase filters every 3 to 6 months , give unilever in jakarta a call they will deliver by post , we have had this system for 5 years , no problems .

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
good decision mate , I realize you live in the "sticks" if you dont fancy coming south to purchase filters every 3 to 6 months , give unilever in jakarta a call they will deliver by post , we have had this system for 5 years , no problems .
Being an inveterate hacker I wonder how necessary the (expensive) filter changes are?

Any experience with lengthening the changes mechanically (fecking with the machine)? I know how, but wonder if it would be worth the effort if the difference in quality was only for a 2 or 3 month extension...?

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
hmm I dont know mate , im sure unilever err on the side of safety, I suppose you could drill a hole through the activated charcoal filters ya you would never need to change ! but honestly for 200k every 4 to 6 months i wouldnt risk it .

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I've been looking into this a little bit and there's a couple of problems with relying on filters to provide drinking water.

1. Only a RO membrane has small enough pores to filter out virus particles.
I think you're fine if the source of your water is unlikely to have a viral load. PDAM would be fine because it's chlorinated but a bore that's surrounded by underground septic tanks would probably not be.
2. Filters do nothing to remove dissolved minerals.
There is more mineral build up in my shower after a week than there was in a whole year back in Australia. I don't really like the idea of ingesting minerals in such large quantities. I don't think there's strong evidence that it's dangerous though.​

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
the word from unilever .

Pureit removes viruses, bacteria, parasites and impurities to meet the US Environmental Protection Agency’s criteria for microbiologically safe drinking water. In India, one of the many countries in need of better water, an independent scientific study by the National Institute of Epidemiology2 has shown that Pureit reduces the incidence of diarrhoeal disease by up to 50%, in the absence of any other hygiene intervention.

Water purification is a growing global category in our business, growing by 2.8% in 2016. Pureit is the world’s largest brand of in-home water purifiers (measured by volume) and is now available in 12 countries, including China, where in 2014 we acquired leading water purification business Qinyuan. By 2020 we aim to provide 150 billion litres of safe drinking water, see Targets & Performance.