Renting an affordable house in Bali

Kyle

Apr 13, 2017
Okay,

Perhaps you can help.

I'm seeking an affordable house to rent in Bali. My online search so far has been quite bad, with many properties being advertised for *huge* prices.

I am seeking something in the 400-500USD/mth range. I am a writer and I need to work from home so space and internet are important. Is this idea even feasible? I don't want to travel to SE Asia only to discover that I can't afford it.

Thanks,

K-

ps. I'm from Canada

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi Kyle and welcome...I'm from Vancouver myself but permanently live in Bali now.
It is difficult to simply answer you as all individuals have different interpretations of 'affordability' as everyone has different standards. i.e. My driver lives in a 1 room 'Kos' for about C$60/month but I could never live like that.
My advice is to come to Bali as a tourist (cheap hotels abound) for a week or two and look around.
Many grocery stores/restos/pubs/even telegraph poles have local adverts to view and you will get a feel for the place and its 'affordability'.
Another way is to search for a 'guest house'. Local food is cheap as are scooters to rent, in Bali.
BTW you will need an appropriate visa and work permit if you wish to work in Indonesia....and those aren't easy to attain.
Good luck!

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
davita is right , the best way is to arrive here choose an economic hotel and rent a scooter and do some research .
It all depends on your taste and choice of areas , for example in the bukit and nusa dua areas for your budget you will find plenty of 1 and 2 bedroom houses inside your budget , but you will need to do some searching .

good luck!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Would suggest you come up to Karangasem - cheap digs, nice people, easy way of life and good weather (down south chances of hail, flash floods, white-outs, blizzards, etc) About the visas, personally if you aren't doing any identifiable "work" (lifting, digging, moving, managing, etc) would just come on the normal Social Visa (whether you are writing a book or your laundry list - who can say? and if it's not published it aint paying nothing either). We now have great internet with Indihome ISP. Ignore all the above if you want party-time 24/7.

Reactions: lumumba

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Just to give you some guidance, the Ubud area is not as cheap as Karangasem, but those of us who live here think it is worth it for many reasons. You can look on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1523008504577896/ and you will discover that around Ubud your budget would get a one bedroom place without pool, 2 bedroom is more like $700, and touches like pool, great view, closeness to the centre, etc can up the price.

On your requirements for space and Internet, I would guess you will end up writing outdoors much of the time so look for balconies or bales (like gazebos) which are common. For Internet, I would restrict my search to only those places that already have Telkom's Indihome installed.

I hope this helps.

Thaiman

May 15, 2014
Nobody has told you about the most important thing of all. Have a license to ride a motor bike and medical insurance. Ride the bike drunk, and that will cancel out your insurance.

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Hello, fellow writer. I know our kind doesn't make money (or at least I don't anyway) but it's certainly possible to live comfortable in Bali if you sacrifice a few luxuries. However, if you are looking for something in the $400-500 range, I believed you'll be quite pleased with the outcomes. You can certainly find a decent room for that and maybe even a really nice room if you do some serious foot work.

If you're ever in the Sanur area, hit me up and we can talk about over a beer or 8.

Thaiman

May 15, 2014
Hello, fellow writer. I know our kind doesn't make money (or at least I don't anyway) but it's certainly possible to live comfortable in Bali if you sacrifice a few luxuries. However, if you are looking for something in the $400-500 range, I believed you'll be quite pleased with the outcomes. You can certainly find a decent room for that and maybe even a really nice room if you do some serious foot work.

If you're ever in the Sanur area, hit me up and we can talk about over a beer or 8.
Thanks for the reply , will certainly look u up, probably next month.

Andrew P

Jan 21, 2017
Just as an example, I pay Australian AUD $500- a month for a one bedroom cottage in Legian
Air con bedroom, Large living area, big kitchen and bathroom nice pool and gardens.

I know there is cheaper around but enjoying the situation at the moment.

Good internet :- Smartfren, wireless modem 30G for idr 300,000 -$30- a month - free modem.

Reactions: Jo Rowe and Thaiman

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Just as an example, I pay Australian AUD $500- a month for a one bedroom cottage in Legian
Air con bedroom, Large living area, big kitchen and bathroom nice pool and gardens.

Good internet :- Smartfren, wireless modem 30G for idr 300,000 -$30- a month - free modem.

And your point is??

Andrew P

Jan 21, 2017
"I am seeking something in the 400-500USD/mth range. I am a writer and I need to work from home so space and internet are important. Is this idea even feasible? I don't want to travel to SE Asia only to discover that I can't afford it."

My point is Markit, is that its affordable.

Reactions: Marie2mil

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ok your upper budget is around IDR8 juta just for a roof over your head and internet.

I pay here in Karangasem now IDR400K/month for Indihome (10Gb dl speeds, usually) and just love it - many down south do nothing but complain about Indihome but they're a whiny lot and I've had nothing but good experience with only one outage when a tree fell on the line. Was repaired 3 days later - shit happens everywhere.

As to your roof-over-head; there are places for 20juta/month and some very nice ones for 3. If you turn up as a "rich foreigner" you'll pay a premium. I tend to get my staff to ask first and then go see from the inside myself. Of course if you want seaside/view you will pay more, if you want a pool you will pay more, if you want A/C you will pay more - you get the drift?

Depending upon how long you plan to stay it may be better to rent a bare room and equip it yourself with all the things you need.

Best is you come look yourself.

Thaiman

May 15, 2014
Thanks again for all the info. Been to Bali many times , never looked at rentals. Lived in Yogyakata for about a year so I have knowledge of Indonesian life. Living in Jomtien, Thailand for last 14 years. Paying $800 Au a month to stay Jomtien Complex Condominium ,something similiar would be nice. Will pop over to Bali for a look around.

Thaiman

May 15, 2014

gday, is where u live viewable on the net?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I nearly replied thinking you were asking Markit where he lived and was going to respond you'd need a powerful telescope... but realized you were asking where in Legian Andrew resided....much easier to find as they have maps of Legian...

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Ok your upper budget is around IDR8 juta just for a roof over your head and internet.
I pay here in Karangasem now IDR400K/month for Indihome (10Gb dl speeds, usually) and just love it - many down south do nothing but complain about Indihome but they're a whiny lot and I've had nothing but good experience with only one outage when a tree fell on the line. Was repaired 3 days later - shit happens everywhere.
I pay here in Karangasem now IDR400K/month for Indihome (10Gb dl speeds, usually) and just love it

If you’re getting a 10 Gbs download speed for $40/month, I would possibly consider moving there (and hide all my cheeses first).

I’m very familiar with many areas in Karangasem, many of which are still quite “nice”. (Been visiting there since 1973.) However, some of the southern rot is starting to creep in. Candi Dasa certainly ain’t what it used to be – the “beach” disappeared years ago. And the Amed area’s getting a bit choked too, lately.

IndiHome gives you a 10 Mbs download speed for Rp 477,000 (tax included), assuming you’ve subscribed to the three-in-one package (internet, UseeTV and digital phone line thing).

One downside of living way over in the East is just that – it’s a “long way” from anywhere else, depending on traffic. On a good run, about 45 minutes to Sanur.And who in their right mind would want to ride/drive to Ubud for a supermaket, or a Hardys in Amlapura "city"?

Last edited:

Thaiman

May 15, 2014
I nearly replied thinking you were asking Markit where he lived and was going to respond you'd need a powerful telescope... but realized you were asking where in Legian Andrew resided....much easier to find as they have maps of Legian...
Was asking if where lived was advertised somewhere.

Andrew P

Jan 21, 2017
gday, is where u live viewable on the net?

Yes sure

Panorama cottages ll (2) Legian

Rent paid yearly in advance + electricity
Cleaned and new linin once a week
Old style Balinese cottage - not really hotel standard but great for long term.

can knock a nail in the wall or repaint etc.

Quiet place.

Thaiman

May 15, 2014
Thanks Andrew. Looks good. But I do have a bit higher budget. Ive been told you can get people down to 6 months in advance! P.S. Dont get me wrong, your info is exactly what i was looking for, what I can get for my money. Cheers.

Last edited: