Outgoing Jakarta governor receives 2 year sentence for blasphemy

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
The North Jakarta District Court has found outgoing Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama guilty of blasphemy for suggesting that some people had abused a Quranic verse to block his re-election bid.

The panel of judges led by Dwiarso Budi Santiarso sentenced Ahok to two years in prison for his crime. “The defendant Ir. Basuki Tjahaja Purnama alias Ahok is proven guilty of committing blasphemy," Dwiarso said.

Ahok, whose term ends in October, has said he will appeal the verdict.

Ahok was initially charged with blasphemy under Article 156a of the Criminal Code and with defaming clergymen under Article 156. The prosecutors, however, dropped the blasphemy charge in their sentence demand, saying there was no evidence that the governor had committed blasphemy.

The prosecutors, therefore, demanded that Ahok be sentenced to two years’ probation and one year in prison if he reoffended.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2017/05/09/ahok-guilty-of-blasphemy-sentenced-to-two-years.html

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
What a sad joke of a country and weak government , I wonder what justice we would get in the courts ? ah sorry I forgot its not a democracy as we know it .

Sorry for Ahok.

Reactions: hecta

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I struggle to understand this at all - if the prosecution has dropped the blasphemy charges how can:
A) he be sentence for a crime that he didn't commit according to the prosecutors?
B) be given a sentence "if he re-offended" if he didn't "offend" in the first place?

Was Franz Kafka Indonesian?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Just when you think things are improving here things like this happen. Disappointed of course, but not surprised.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Well, it’s quite simple really. The prosecutors dropped the blasphemy charge, so there was no case to prosecute and the judges of a then non-existent case (due to lack of evidence), decided otherwise. Makes sense to me, especially when I remind myself which country I’m living in. All you have to do is work out the answer to what is the square root of a negative question mark. Hint: the answer might be another imaginary number.

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy.
Franz Kafka

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Well, it’s quite simple really. The prosecutors dropped the blasphemy charge, so there was no case to prosecute and the judges of a then non-existent case (due to lack of evidence), decided otherwise. Makes sense to me, especially when I remind myself which country I’m living in. All you have to do is work out the answer to what is the square root of a negative question mark. Hint: the answer might be another imaginary number.

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy.
Franz Kafka

I just woke up and haven't yet imbibe anything stronger than decaf coffee, yet...As for the sq root of a negative number, Khan does a better work than I can!

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/al...gebra-2/v/imaginary-roots-of-negative-numbers

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Tintin I loved the statement: i^i is, surprisingly, a real number: roughly 0.20788

I sure was surprised and I'm happy with the "rough" real number - what would an exact number be, how many places behind the decimal?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I was joking, of course. As for the numbers, I literally meant sqrt [-?] where ? could be plus or minus.
Sorry, I’m a bit rusty on maths these days but did study the properties of i (the imaginary number) a long time ago. It’s a very weird and wonderful “thing” similar in some ways to the discovery and adoption of zero. Oh, and khanacademy is fantastic, too.