Paul Hoffman's trial begins

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
The trial of a 57-year-old American expatriate, Paul Hoffman, a resident of Sanur, Bali, has commenced in the Denpasar District Court in connection with a series of robberies of mini-markets in the Kuta area in February 2017.

The State News Agency Antara quotes lead State Prosecutor Fitria Chandrawati who told the Court on Thursday, May 4, 2017, regarding American Paul Hoffman, “The accused has been proven to have committed thefts using threats of violence in violation of paragraph 365, subparagraph 65 of Section 1 of the Criminal Code (KUHP).”

Prosecutors described how Hoffman would rob convenience stores late at night, posing as a customer wearing a motorcycle helmet and facemask in order to conceal his identity, before threatening cashiers with a knife.

On February 8, 2017, Hoffman robbed a convenience store in the Jalan Sunset Road area of Kuta between 1:00 am and 2:00 am, arriving at the location on his Honda Vario motorcycle. In the course of selecting mineral water, Hoffman is said to have approached the cashier and used a knife to demand the contents of the cash register containing Rp. 8.7 million. He also made off with two bottles of imported Scotch with an additional value of Rp. 2.3 million.

On the following day, Prosecutors say Hoffman struck again at another mini-market on Jalan Sunset Road at 2:30 am where he managed to steal only Rp. 176 thousand.

balidiscovery.com

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Having followed the course of "our Pauly's" Bali excursion and watched his doings re his "wife" and her 13 year old daughter with no little trepidation I still have to admit to a certain pity for the guy.

Even if half the tales of his various rip off scams are true his downward spiral must have been breathtaking from new arrivee to newly married "moslem" to small vehicle rental business owner, then expectant father to smash and grab knife robber.

Many of his exploits can be followed here if you search for "Smoke" unless Admin have removed him/them?

"There but for the grace of (God/Allah/Spaghetti Monster) go I"?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
His posts are still here: https://balipod.com/forum/members/smoke.11246/

His avatar and signature are interesting: "Please Leave your Western thoughts and ways at Immigration".

I believe he is in the cell block with all the locals and wants to stay there rather than with the other foreigners. The cell has capacity for 80 people and currently around 130 people, all sharing the same toilet.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Posts must have been removed,clicked on the link Spicy gave and there is nothing at all,other than he is an active member from Sanur,and hasn`t been seens since Apr 15 ,2015

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Under his name, click on the 3rd tab "Postings" and you can see all his posts.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Posts must have been removed,clicked on the link Spicy gave and there is nothing at all,other than he is an active member from Sanur,and hasn`t been seens since Apr 15 ,2015

You need to click on 'postings' and all will be revealed.....I just cruised thru' some of the sparring we did......o_O
We were joking about a pole that was put up in front of my villa...btw there are now 6 of them. Smoke commented that it would be easy to get a ladder and disconnect the wires that impeded my view and I asked if he could do it for me as I was scared of hi-voltage.. and I didn't have any life-insurance.....
This was his response to that....
"davita ladder is not a problem ever. All I personally would do Is call one on my PLN friends to what I needed to be done .
My new wife is not on my life insurance or Pensions or the SS benifits till I bring her to the USA . But she has a notorized document that she is sole aire to my listed RI bank accounts
."

Maybe I should say something to the authorities...... :D

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Thanks Guys,seems he was quite a nice guy,,makes one wonder how or why things went wrong for him,

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
For what it's worth Pauly thought he could "hack" the expat community and the system and ended up being sucked dry by his new "family" fronted by a Sasak Kupuk Kupuk Malam and her beautiful 12 year old daughter.

You really could not make this shit up!

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Met him twice, he is "unique" to say the least.
He always have a few people accompanying him, i presume it was his wife and her relatives

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Unique in what way ?
I recall from old posts he was a Harley rider. Also not aware of the X numbered dwellings on Danau Poso, and their purpose. When explained to him said he was against prostitution. He gave me advice on a wedding I was to attend in Lombok. We were to meet at ducks nutz on my next visit for a few drinks. However he had left the forum. Gael (ducksnutz) told me his name was Paul. Until today I did not know he was the toko bandit. I am stunned!