Gas BBQs

flinders

Jun 19, 2012
I have had a BBQ made which I use for cooking satay and chicken. It is a Balinese style BBQ and I use coconut husks as fuel. It is terrific but takes a while to heat up. I also have a gas bbq I bought at ACE hardware in Kuta about 2 years ago, the brand is O-Grill and I guess it's Weber Q knock off. I'm not happy with it as it takes a long time to heat up and often blocks up and often hard to get a spark. I'm considering buying a Weber Baby Q when next in Australia. Has anybody had any experiences with bringing back a BBQ from Australia and are there any problems using local gas bottles with Weber hoses. The Weber in Australia is A$300 and to replace the O-Grill here it's Rp4.5m. Thanks.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I seem to remember someone asking the question before and they mentioned that the hose pipe to the gas regulator is a different guage in Oz than here so that has to be replaced along with said regulator. I would guess that that will change the supply of gas to the cooker.

I say cooker because what the Ozzies laughingly call a barbecue is in fact only a gas oven. If you don't want to wait for the wood or charcoal to get to the right temperature and impart a lovely flavor to all the food you cook in/on it why do you insist on calling it a barbecue? It's only a trumped up gas cooker.

flinders

Jun 19, 2012
Thanks Markit, do you know if it possible to buy a hose pipe to the regulator here with the correct gauge? I read somewhere that I can buy a gas adaptor fitting companion to POL. Will this solve the problem?
As I mentioned I do cook using charcoal and do love the flavour from coconut husks but when cooking one steak for myself I need something quicker and that's why I'm why I have a second BBQ / cooker.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Sorry but that's all the info I have.

Have you tried the beef here? First you need to run over it with a 40 ton tank a few times, then boil it for 4 hours and only then can you attempt to bite it and still keep your usual compliment of teeth. So unless you like paying 300k IDR a kilo for your imported steaks then spend your money on some extra chompers, mate.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
l disagree over the last month i have had two joints of local beef from populars in sanur and they have been extremely good and i paid 150 excellent value

I've only bought filet here for steaks and some undefined pieces from the market for curries and chilis - long cooking times. The filets are very good and not too bad after a sound beating. Joints I've not been brave enough to try yet - or even seen. Nothing with a bone in it. Will give Populars Sanur a try. When you say 150 was that per kilo?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
I've only bought filet here for steaks and some undefined pieces from the market for curries and chilis - long cooking times. The filets are very good and not too bad after a sound beating. Joints I've not been brave enough to try yet - or even seen. Nothing with a bone in it. Will give Populars Sanur a try. When you say 150 was that per kilo?
Papaya tree leaf is an excellent tenderizer. Just wrap the Bali beef in the leaf an hour or so and it it is better than beating with a hammer.

Reactions: Markit

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Papaya tree leaf is an excellent tenderizer. Just wrap the Bali beef in the leaf an hour or so and it it is better than beating with a hammer.
I've found the papaya leaves leave (sry) a very bitter aftertaste so have taken to using the green papaya fruit shredded on the beef with the same effect. Green papaya also makes a wonderful vegetable mixed in a good Indian curry.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
If it does not have to be BBQ'd .... a slow cooker can make the toughest old beef, old buffalo, or old billy-goat into the tenderest piece of meat that falls off the bone ..... can be pulled apart with a fork ....

Attachments

• 2016-11-26-1158.jpg
    2016-11-26-1158.jpg
    947.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 2016-11-26-1160.jpg
    2016-11-26-1160.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 10

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Jeez pic no. 2 reminded me of an old girlfriend. She could be forked apart with a pull and was always falling off the bone too...