balinews

Feb 14, 2010
THE boyfriend of an Australian woman whose face was shattered in a horrific hit and run incident in Bali has shared his devastation in an emotional Instagram post while the injured woman underwent intensive reconstructive surgery.

Victoria Van de Stadt, 25, was operated on in a Perth hospital where she was flown to after being thrown from a scooter and slamming into a tree on a ride with her boyfriend. She was expected to wake from a coma overnight.

The Newcastle woman and her boyfriend Louis Macindoe, 26, had hired the two-wheel vehicle on the last day of their week-long holiday in the southern village of Canggu.

The trip ended in horror when the scooter the pair was riding was apparently slammed by a speeding vehicle and the pair were left for dead.

The pair, whose family members fear would have bled to death if left on the road, were found on the quiet street alongside their mangled bike by a group of tourists with medical training who called an ambulance and kept them alive, assisting with Ms Van de Stadt’s breathing during the wait.

According to her devastated mother, Tracey Priestley, the popular hairdresser and cafe worker was left with a split jaw; smashed eye socket, nose and palate; and many missing teeth.

She also had injuries to the rest of her body and is expected to endure a painful months-long recovery following yesterday’s marathon surgery.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...n/news-story/dc348f4e67833819092320de590eec0e

You can make a donation to the family here: https://www.gofundme.com/31uw6e0

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
No helmets or travel insurance but wants to ride a motorbike on Bali because it's so "free".

Idiots!

They should put up a picture of the woman's post accident face at immigrations "I really loved motorbiking on Bali"...

Reactions: F18

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
No helmets or travel insurance but wants to ride a motorbike on Bali because it's so "free".

Don't forget they also want other people to pay for their mistakes.

I can understand people lending them money if it's needed at short notice, but just giving them money via GoFundMe? It's strange.

They're young people at the start of their lives, they're hardly a worthy cause.

The GoFundMe page should say, "Please help us from being saddled with debt for the next few years, even though it's sorta our fault."

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I couldn't find a reference to whether the couple were wearing helmets... Anyway, the girl's injuries, being primarily facial, could have occurred even with an open face helmet, especially the crappy ones usually supplied by the bike rental companies in Bali. For those who care to know, a German study found that 35% of all serious head injuries in motorbike accidents resulted from impacts to the jaw area, so there is still a pretty big risk of injury even if wearing an open face helmet, like the vast majority of riders in Bali. In any event, Markit's point is correct -it's idiocy to ride without a helmet and insurance. In fact, even if you have insurance but no helmet (or valid license), your coverage will be denied. A very painful and expensive lesson for this couple.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
It's sometimes uncomfortable, sweaty and sometimes can smell a bit but I always choose to wear the full-face helmet that I brought over from Oz.
It was $400AUS and I hope I never get to test how good it actually is.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I prefer my Indo Tupperware helmet because I'm fecking indestructible and the best driver there ever was (just like you lot).

BestofBali

Nov 9, 2016
Kerobokan
It's sometimes uncomfortable, sweaty and sometimes can smell a bit but I always choose to wear the full-face helmet that I brought over from Oz.
It was $400AUS and I hope I never get to test how good it actually is.

I always tell my visiting friends and family to use a full face helmet. My wife came off her scooter only doing 20kmph and her face hit the road with a half faced helmet and it was horrific :(

F18

Sep 28, 2014
Bali and Melbourne
Don't forget they also want other people to pay for their mistakes.

I can understand people lending them money if it's needed at short notice, but just giving them money via GoFundMe? It's strange.

They're young people at the start of their lives, they're hardly a worthy cause.

The GoFundMe page should say, "Please help us from being saddled with debt for the next few years, even though it's sorta our fault."

This is Gen Y, the ones who take no responsibility for anything!! They then expect that others should help out via a GoFundMe appeal.

Gen Y ?? They demand freedoms, unconstrained by convention or law, and freewheel through life. I hope this has been a wake up call, not only to them, but others.